General of apex Igbo Socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Chief John Nnia, has vowed to sabotage any attempt to levy war on Igboland in the name of agitation for Biafra.
Chief Nwodo made the vow, yesterday, while addressing Ndigbo in Lagos at the practice pitch of the National Stadium.
Recalling how he lost his best friend at the war front during the Nigeria-Biafra war, how more than two million Igbo lost their lives and how many dreams were aborted, Nwodo said as a leader he would not fold his arms and watch his people suffer such destruction again.
Nwodo said he is not against the agitation for Biafra self determination and cries of the Indigenous
People of Biafra, IPOB because the Igbo are truly marginalised and oppressed in Nigeria.
However, he said is opposed to the methodology of the agitators because it cannot work in Nigeria as currently constituted.
The only way out, he argued, is restructuring and enthronement of fiscal federalism which will allow the states to control their resources, handle issues like police, education, health, mineral resources, etc while the Federal Government handle functions like immigration, customs, central banking, aviation and external affairs.
Nwodo declared his opposition to another war in Igboland when pro-Biafran youths wielding placards stormed the venue while he was addressing the crowd.
Pleading with the security not to deal with the protesters, Nwodo said: “Nobody should touch these youths. They are my children. When I was their age, I was in the trench fighting for Biafra. My best friend died at the battle front. More than one million people were killed in the battle, one and half million people starved to death…you can’t be a youth then without going to the battle front.
I can’t allow that to happen to my people again. That is why I will be a saboteur in any attempt to levy another war on Igboland. That is why Ohanaeze wants restructuring of Nigeria.”
Noting that Southern leaders, southern governors and senators, and the Middle belt have agreed on the need to restructure Nigeria, he said the rejoinder of Northern senators to the Southern senators’ call on President Muhammadu Buhari to restructure the country was watery.
“Northern senators issued a rejoinder to our position on restructuring, that we are heating the polity but they did not address the points we raised,” he said.
On the leadership crisis in Lagos chapter of Ohanaeze, he said the recent election remains nullified because it was held in breach of the directives of Ohanaeze National Executive Committee, NEC.
He urged all Igbo in Lagos to end their differences, unite and go a fresh elections, which he assured will be transparent, free and fair.
He Lamented that disunity is the major reason Igbo are not getting their fair share in the affairs of the state in spite of being over four million in population and contributing about 40 per cent of taxes paid in Lagos.
Notable Igbo leaders at the gathering include: Chief Guy Ikokwu, Agunze Chibueze Ikokwu, Chief Sylvan Ebigwei, Eze Hycinth Ohazulike, Chief Eric Ebe, Prince Emeka Ogbu and Chief Fabian Duru
Latest Nigeria News
- 3-Year-Old Pupil Disappears At Graduation Ceremony In Anambra (Photo)
- She Said Yes! – Real Madrid Star, Sergio Ramos Engaged To TV Presenter, Pilar Rubio (Photos)
- Checkout Russian President’s Awesome Limo Which Cannot Be Bombed And Can Stay Underwater (Photos)
- Ekiti State Gov. Fayose Makes First Public Appearance After His Party Lost Governorship Election (Photos)
- Meet Ronaldo’s Girlfriend, Georgina Rodriguez
- Femi Otedola Attends Basketmouth’s Wife’s Birthday Celebration (Photos)
- I Want My Playful Bestfriend Back – Mercy Johnson’s Hubby Cries Out Over Wife’s Change Of Behaviour
- Reasons Why Tiwa Savage Shunned Wizkid’s Birthday
- Anglican Church Abolishes Wedding Before Traditional Marriage
- EFCC disowns gloating tweet on Fayose which came from their verified account
- Nigerian Professional Football League Suspended Indefinitely – LMC
- World Cup stadium severely damaged by landslide days after France vs Croatia in Russia 2018 final (Photos)
- Heartbreaking Story Of Handsome Nigerian Model Stabbed To Death In London Because Of A Girl (Photos)
- Dasuki Fulfills Bail Conditions, Finally Set To Be Released Today – Lawyer
- Nollywood Actress, Ini Edo Slays In New Photos
- Cute Photos Of Davido’s 3-Year-Old Daughter, Imade Looking Sharp In Gucci Shirt
- PDP group woos Saraki, Lai Mohammed
- Fayose’s defeat will end stomach infrastructure – Itse Sagay
- President Buhari mourns as 44 die, 500 houses destroyed in Katsina flood
- How Alfa used fake vision to rape student in Lagos – Police
- Fans Blast Yoruba Actress, Mercy Aigbe For Exposing Her Bosom In Public (Photo)
- Messi, Ronaldo knocked off the Ballon d’Or podium places
- Tennis: Serena Williams returns to top 30 in world rankings
- Don’t be deceived by Ekiti “rigging”- PDP tells Buhari, APC
- Kylian Mbappe to donate his entire earnings (£384,000) from playing in the World Cup to charity.
- Governor Ortom Dumps APC
- Catholic Priests Reveal Type Of Candidates Nigerians Should Support In 2019
- Oshiomhole Reacts To Gov. Ortom’s Exit From APC, Killings By Herdsmen
- Antonio Conte breaks silence after he was sacked by Chelsea
- Suspected assassins kill couple in Anambra community
- IPOB to demonstrate at the Hague as Buhari arrives Netherlands
- Cristiano Ronaldo speaks on jersey number at Juventus
- Okorocha reveals why President Buhari will win in South East
- People Are Planning To Kill Me – Daddy Showkey Cries Out
- Obama Dances With His Grandmother After Arriving Kenya (Video)
- Minister Of Finance, Adeosun Must Clear Her Name Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate – SERA
- I Didn’t Want To See France Win – Goalkeeper, Courtois
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s Transfer To Juventus Is A ‘Historic Error’ – Ex-Real Madrid President Blows Hot
- Workers’ Salary Arrears Will Be Paid In Six Months – Fayemi
- Imo crisis: God’ll impeach Okorocha, says Umeh