The Chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, says the commission has 74 million voters in its register by the second week of January.
The INEC Director of Voter Education and Publicity, Mr Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi , made the fact known in a statement in Abuja on Friday.
Osaze-Uzzi quoted Yakubu as making the fact known at the 15th edition of the Daily Trust Dialogue, where he was represented by INEC National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee (IVEC), Mr Solomon Soyebi.
The chairman said the figure was expected to reach between 80 and 85 million by 2019 because of the on-going nationwide Continuous Voter Registration (CVR).
He assured Nigerians that only their votes would determine the 2019 general elections and beyond.
Yakubu noted that there had been a lot of improvement in the electoral process since the current commission came on board.
He said the commission was not unmindful of the enormous responsibility of conducting elections in a democracy.
He said INEC would continue to engage all stakeholders to ensure an all-inclusive process.
The INEC chairman stressed the commission’s resolve to adhere strictly to the timelines provided in the recently released Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2019 general elections. (NAN)
Latest Nigeria News
- Champions League final: Klopp speaks on Zidane being “tactically clueless”
- “Linda Ikeji Is A Runs Girl For Top Politicians” – Kemi Olunloyo Threatens To Mention Names
- Gospel Singer Frank Edward And His Fleet Of Cars (Photos)
- Zainab Balogun Is Having The Best of Her Time On Honeymoon Vacation In Thailand
- Here’s An Advice From Kiss Daniel For The Weekend
- 2018 World Cup: Rohr warns girls not to visit Super Eagles players
- Falz – This Is Nigeria
- Nigerian Family Publicly Disowns Lesbian Daughter On National Newspaper Over Same S*x Marriage
- President Trump Makes U-Turn On Summit With North Korea
- 5 Things Women Find Very Attractive In Men Besides Just Looks
- Billionaire Kidnapper, Evans Arraigned By Police In Lagos, Asks Court For The ‘Unbelievable’ Thing
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba only cares about his hair colour, France not big team – Denmark coach
- President Buhari receives 2018 budget
- Arsenal Opens Up On Why Unai Emery Was Appointed As Wenger’s Replacement
- NURTW Boss, Mc Oluomo’s Twins Graduate From The University Of Atlanta, Georgia
- Atiku Abubakar’s Wife Reveals How Wives & Children Of The Politician Suffer Private Pain
- Tiwa Savage Shares Some Stunning New Photos Showcasing How She Seduced Wizkid
- WTF! Father Caught On Camera Teaching His Toddler Daughter How To Smoke A Cigarette
- Shock In Abia As Many Students Injured After Suspected Rapists Attack All Girls Secondary School
- SO SAD! SARS Officer, Michael Maji Murdered 10 Days After His Wedding (Photos)
- FB User, Princess Adaeze Emejuru Exposes Movie Director, Tyrone Who Nearly Exploited Her Sexually
- BBNaija: Miracle Breaks His Silence, Reveals What He Has Been Up To (Photos)
- Bobrisky Has Something To Say About Linda Ikeji’s Pregnancy
- ‘Fake pregnancy’: Tonto Dike reacts to Linda Ikeji, Kemi Olunloyo’s clash
- Boko Haram: How Nigerian soldiers, CJTF impregnated us, killed our husbands – Victim narrates ordeal
- Rare Photo Of Rapper Olamide With His Son And Babymama
- BBNaija: Tobi Bakre Is Looking For Cee-c’s Trouble Once Again… Here’s What He Did
- Wizkid to release new Merch on Friday; Now everyone gets to wear Starboy!
- Champions League final: Liverpool CEO questions Suarez, Coutinho’s decision to quit Liverpool
- Lagos printer abducts, rapes 15-yr-old school girl he met on Facebook
- 23-year-old lady falls in love with sugar daddy, 47, says they are engaged
- Trump Pulls Out of North Korea Summit Meeting with Kim Jong-un
- What Saraki said after meeting with Buhari
- Fan Shares Her Encounter With Wizkid And Tiwa Savage In London
- #BBNaija Nina Is The Latest Brand Ambassador For Slim Girl Shape Wear
- I’m Privileged To Sleep In The Same Prison Bed Used By Obasanjo – Jonah Jang
- UN speaks on Buhari’s fight against corruption
- Ivanka Trump slams Serena Williams seeding snub at French Open
- Buhari breaks fast with National Assembly leadership in Aso Rock
- Morgan Freeman apologizes after sexual harassment claims