The Chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, says the commission has 74 million voters in its register by the second week of January.
The INEC Director of Voter Education and Publicity, Mr Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi , made the fact known in a statement in Abuja on Friday.
Osaze-Uzzi quoted Yakubu as making the fact known at the 15th edition of the Daily Trust Dialogue, where he was represented by INEC National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee (IVEC), Mr Solomon Soyebi.
The chairman said the figure was expected to reach between 80 and 85 million by 2019 because of the on-going nationwide Continuous Voter Registration (CVR).
He assured Nigerians that only their votes would determine the 2019 general elections and beyond.
Yakubu noted that there had been a lot of improvement in the electoral process since the current commission came on board.
He said the commission was not unmindful of the enormous responsibility of conducting elections in a democracy.
He said INEC would continue to engage all stakeholders to ensure an all-inclusive process.
The INEC chairman stressed the commission’s resolve to adhere strictly to the timelines provided in the recently released Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2019 general elections. (NAN)
Latest Nigeria News
- JUST IN: British cabinet backs draft Brexit deal
- Premier League to weigh controversial £5m gift for outgoing chairman
- I will fix Nigeria’s ailing economy – Atiku
- BREAKING: N30,000 minimum wage will lead to bankruptcy – Govs
- INT’L MEDIA OUTLETS BATTLING TO SECURE A TV CHAT WITH IPOB LEADER NNAMDI KANU
- ‘You lack common decency,’ – President Macron’s spokesman tells Trump
- N’Golo Kante turned down offshore payments from Chelsea
- Sokoto Assembly accepts Deputy Gov’s resignation
- EFCC appoints Amokeodo as Magu’s spokesperson
- We’ll probe Oshiomhole, ICPC tells anti-APC chairman protesters
- Why I chose a fellow Muslim as running mate –Gov el-Rufai
- PDP accuses Buhari, APC of plans to liquidate members’ bank accounts
- Serena Williams emerges 2018 GQ Woman of the Year
- Susanna Dinnage to replace Scudamore as Premier League chief
- We are prepared for 2019 elections – INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu
- Teleology appoints new board of directors for 9mobile
- Why 2nd Niger Bridge is delayed – Fashola
- Teenage Boy Pictured With Machete Before Stabbing Friend To Death (Graphic Photos)
- We Are People Too – Higuain Apologises For Being Sent Off
- My Mum Behind My Flamboyant Fashion Sense – Paul Pogba
- OMG : Suspected Vandal Found Dead Inside NNPC Pipeline In Ogun
- Face Of Burglar Who Broke Into IBB’s Guesthouse And Stole Phones, Cash, Others (Photo)
- Salary: Ondo Workers Threaten To Begin Strike On Tuesday
- Revealed: How N15 Million Ransom Was Paid For Freedom Of Abducted Ondo ADC Chieftains
- My Daughter Wants To See Her Father, Davido’s Alleged Baby Mama Cries Out
- Gabon leader Ali Bongo seriously ill, says Presidency
- Stop using sniper to preserve beans, Agric minister begs traders
- Macron snubs US arms in defence spat with Trump
- Man City overpower United to win derby
- Lionel Messi Fails As Real Betis Beat Barcelona 4-3
- Google Doodle celebrates Christy Essien-Igbokwe’s 58th posthumous birthday
- 65-year-old man dies during sex with lover
- The fire threatening to consume Oshiomhole and APC’s chances in 2019
- APC Guber Candidate, Sanwo-olu Tells INEC About His Mental Health
- Nigerians Are Frustrated – Obasanjo
- What Davido’s Fans Went To Do At His House Last Night Will Shock You (Video)
- Mourinho takes swipe at Aguero ahead of City clash
- 2019: Banky W declares his intention to run for House of Reps
- Those calling for Oshiomhole’s removal want to destroy APC –Marafa
- Minimum wage: 1.5 million FG workers to earn over N2.3tn