Following the recent spate of killings in Benue State, the governor has confessed that his people still feel threatened by the killer herdsmen.
Governor Samuel Ortom said on Friday that Benue State residents still live in fear and under the siege of the Fulani, three weeks after suspected herdsmen killed about 70 people in two local government areas.
“Let me tell you that our people are still living in fear and under siege,” The Nation quoted Mr. Ortom as saying at a meeting with APC governors on Friday in Makurdi.
“Living in fear because of the series of threat by Kautal Hore which started the threat seven months ago. They are not mere threat.”
Six APC governors visited Mr. Ortom to sympathise with him and the people of the state over the loss of lives and property during the New Year’s Day assault on Logo and Guma Local Government Areas.
State authorities conducted a mass burial for the victims on January 11 at a cemetery near the Air Force Base in Makurdi.
Governors reported to have made the trip included Simon Lalong, Plateau; Nasir El- Rufai, Kaduna; Yahaya Bello, Kogi; Badaru Abubakar, Jigawa; and Titilayo Tomori, the deputy governor of Osun State who represented Governor Rauf Aregbesola.
The entourage was led by Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State.
Mr. Ortom told his guests that his government has evidence to substantiate its claims that herdsmen of Fulani origin were responsible for the attack, which has continued go generate uproar in the country.
“We have evidence against them, what we are saying is that federal government should arrest the leadership of Kautal Hore,” the governor said.
He said there is a semblance of peace for residents, but canvassed more support for a lasting solution to the prolonged crisis.
“We thank God that peace is gradually returning to the state,” Mr. Ortom told his guest according to The Nation. “But there are still pockets of challenges here.”
“We know the challenges will soon be over because our people are always alert to give useful information to security operatives around,” he added.
President Muhammadu Buhari recently sent the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, to move to the state to quell the violence.
A committee led by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has also been raised to find a solution to the crisis.
Latest Nigeria News
- JUST IN: British cabinet backs draft Brexit deal
- Premier League to weigh controversial £5m gift for outgoing chairman
- I will fix Nigeria’s ailing economy – Atiku
- BREAKING: N30,000 minimum wage will lead to bankruptcy – Govs
- INT’L MEDIA OUTLETS BATTLING TO SECURE A TV CHAT WITH IPOB LEADER NNAMDI KANU
- ‘You lack common decency,’ – President Macron’s spokesman tells Trump
- N’Golo Kante turned down offshore payments from Chelsea
- Sokoto Assembly accepts Deputy Gov’s resignation
- EFCC appoints Amokeodo as Magu’s spokesperson
- We’ll probe Oshiomhole, ICPC tells anti-APC chairman protesters
- Why I chose a fellow Muslim as running mate –Gov el-Rufai
- PDP accuses Buhari, APC of plans to liquidate members’ bank accounts
- Serena Williams emerges 2018 GQ Woman of the Year
- Susanna Dinnage to replace Scudamore as Premier League chief
- We are prepared for 2019 elections – INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu
- Teleology appoints new board of directors for 9mobile
- Why 2nd Niger Bridge is delayed – Fashola
- Teenage Boy Pictured With Machete Before Stabbing Friend To Death (Graphic Photos)
- We Are People Too – Higuain Apologises For Being Sent Off
- My Mum Behind My Flamboyant Fashion Sense – Paul Pogba
- OMG : Suspected Vandal Found Dead Inside NNPC Pipeline In Ogun
- Face Of Burglar Who Broke Into IBB’s Guesthouse And Stole Phones, Cash, Others (Photo)
- Salary: Ondo Workers Threaten To Begin Strike On Tuesday
- Revealed: How N15 Million Ransom Was Paid For Freedom Of Abducted Ondo ADC Chieftains
- My Daughter Wants To See Her Father, Davido’s Alleged Baby Mama Cries Out
- Gabon leader Ali Bongo seriously ill, says Presidency
- Stop using sniper to preserve beans, Agric minister begs traders
- Macron snubs US arms in defence spat with Trump
- Man City overpower United to win derby
- Lionel Messi Fails As Real Betis Beat Barcelona 4-3
- Google Doodle celebrates Christy Essien-Igbokwe’s 58th posthumous birthday
- 65-year-old man dies during sex with lover
- The fire threatening to consume Oshiomhole and APC’s chances in 2019
- APC Guber Candidate, Sanwo-olu Tells INEC About His Mental Health
- Nigerians Are Frustrated – Obasanjo
- What Davido’s Fans Went To Do At His House Last Night Will Shock You (Video)
- Mourinho takes swipe at Aguero ahead of City clash
- 2019: Banky W declares his intention to run for House of Reps
- Those calling for Oshiomhole’s removal want to destroy APC –Marafa
- Minimum wage: 1.5 million FG workers to earn over N2.3tn