Following the recent spate of killings in Benue State, the governor has confessed that his people still feel threatened by the killer herdsmen.
Governor Samuel Ortom said on Friday that Benue State residents still live in fear and under the siege of the Fulani, three weeks after suspected herdsmen killed about 70 people in two local government areas.
“Let me tell you that our people are still living in fear and under siege,” The Nation quoted Mr. Ortom as saying at a meeting with APC governors on Friday in Makurdi.
“Living in fear because of the series of threat by Kautal Hore which started the threat seven months ago. They are not mere threat.”
Six APC governors visited Mr. Ortom to sympathise with him and the people of the state over the loss of lives and property during the New Year’s Day assault on Logo and Guma Local Government Areas.
State authorities conducted a mass burial for the victims on January 11 at a cemetery near the Air Force Base in Makurdi.
Governors reported to have made the trip included Simon Lalong, Plateau; Nasir El- Rufai, Kaduna; Yahaya Bello, Kogi; Badaru Abubakar, Jigawa; and Titilayo Tomori, the deputy governor of Osun State who represented Governor Rauf Aregbesola.
The entourage was led by Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State.
Mr. Ortom told his guests that his government has evidence to substantiate its claims that herdsmen of Fulani origin were responsible for the attack, which has continued go generate uproar in the country.
“We have evidence against them, what we are saying is that federal government should arrest the leadership of Kautal Hore,” the governor said.
He said there is a semblance of peace for residents, but canvassed more support for a lasting solution to the prolonged crisis.
“We thank God that peace is gradually returning to the state,” Mr. Ortom told his guest according to The Nation. “But there are still pockets of challenges here.”
“We know the challenges will soon be over because our people are always alert to give useful information to security operatives around,” he added.
President Muhammadu Buhari recently sent the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, to move to the state to quell the violence.
A committee led by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has also been raised to find a solution to the crisis.
Latest Nigeria News
- Champions League final: Klopp speaks on Zidane being “tactically clueless”
- “Linda Ikeji Is A Runs Girl For Top Politicians” – Kemi Olunloyo Threatens To Mention Names
- Gospel Singer Frank Edward And His Fleet Of Cars (Photos)
- Zainab Balogun Is Having The Best of Her Time On Honeymoon Vacation In Thailand
- Here’s An Advice From Kiss Daniel For The Weekend
- 2018 World Cup: Rohr warns girls not to visit Super Eagles players
- Falz – This Is Nigeria
- Nigerian Family Publicly Disowns Lesbian Daughter On National Newspaper Over Same S*x Marriage
- President Trump Makes U-Turn On Summit With North Korea
- 5 Things Women Find Very Attractive In Men Besides Just Looks
- Billionaire Kidnapper, Evans Arraigned By Police In Lagos, Asks Court For The ‘Unbelievable’ Thing
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba only cares about his hair colour, France not big team – Denmark coach
- President Buhari receives 2018 budget
- Arsenal Opens Up On Why Unai Emery Was Appointed As Wenger’s Replacement
- NURTW Boss, Mc Oluomo’s Twins Graduate From The University Of Atlanta, Georgia
- Atiku Abubakar’s Wife Reveals How Wives & Children Of The Politician Suffer Private Pain
- Tiwa Savage Shares Some Stunning New Photos Showcasing How She Seduced Wizkid
- WTF! Father Caught On Camera Teaching His Toddler Daughter How To Smoke A Cigarette
- Shock In Abia As Many Students Injured After Suspected Rapists Attack All Girls Secondary School
- SO SAD! SARS Officer, Michael Maji Murdered 10 Days After His Wedding (Photos)
- FB User, Princess Adaeze Emejuru Exposes Movie Director, Tyrone Who Nearly Exploited Her Sexually
- BBNaija: Miracle Breaks His Silence, Reveals What He Has Been Up To (Photos)
- Bobrisky Has Something To Say About Linda Ikeji’s Pregnancy
- ‘Fake pregnancy’: Tonto Dike reacts to Linda Ikeji, Kemi Olunloyo’s clash
- Boko Haram: How Nigerian soldiers, CJTF impregnated us, killed our husbands – Victim narrates ordeal
- Rare Photo Of Rapper Olamide With His Son And Babymama
- BBNaija: Tobi Bakre Is Looking For Cee-c’s Trouble Once Again… Here’s What He Did
- Wizkid to release new Merch on Friday; Now everyone gets to wear Starboy!
- Champions League final: Liverpool CEO questions Suarez, Coutinho’s decision to quit Liverpool
- Lagos printer abducts, rapes 15-yr-old school girl he met on Facebook
- 23-year-old lady falls in love with sugar daddy, 47, says they are engaged
- Trump Pulls Out of North Korea Summit Meeting with Kim Jong-un
- What Saraki said after meeting with Buhari
- Fan Shares Her Encounter With Wizkid And Tiwa Savage In London
- #BBNaija Nina Is The Latest Brand Ambassador For Slim Girl Shape Wear
- I’m Privileged To Sleep In The Same Prison Bed Used By Obasanjo – Jonah Jang
- UN speaks on Buhari’s fight against corruption
- Ivanka Trump slams Serena Williams seeding snub at French Open
- Buhari breaks fast with National Assembly leadership in Aso Rock
- Morgan Freeman apologizes after sexual harassment claims