Reports have it that President Muhammadu Buhari’s failure to adhere to the concerns of Obasanjo regarding the state of the nation gave birth to today’s trending letter.
Former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, on Tuesday publicly advised President Muhammadu Buhari against seeking re-election in 2019.
Obasanjo, in a lengthy and strongly-worded statement, also promoted what may become a political party, Coalition for Nigeria, CN.
“I, therefore, will gladly join such a Movement when one is established as Coalition for Nigeria, CN, taking Nigeria to the height God has created it to be. From now on, the Nigeria eagle must continue to soar and fly high” , he said.
“CN, as a Movement, will be new, green, transparent and must remain clean and always active, selflessly so.”
Obasanjo also lambasted the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), insisting that they cannot solve Nigeria’s problems.
In a chat with DAILY POST, a close aide of the former leader, said Obj, as fondly called, had earlier mentioned some of the contents of the letter to Buhari personally but nothing was done.
“We all know the state of the nation and Baba too shares the feelings of Nigerians. He already raised some points contained in the letter to President Buhari. The two leaders see from time to time, they also speak on phone many times.
“In 2016, Baba went to the presidential villa in Abuja before PMB fell ill and they discussed these things, especially the economy, non-performance of some appointees and fight against corruption.
“Baba also had a one on one talk with the president while he was recuperating abroad on same issues.
“Again, when President Buhari returned to Nigeria, Baba went to meet him again to remind him what they discussed.
“PMB gave his words that there will be changes but till now, those assurances have not been fulfilled.
“Baba felt he should speak now so that it would be on record that he didn’t keep quiet when things were going wrong.”
Asked if Obasanjo’s camp had received any word from the presidency after the release of the statement, our source replied, “Not as I speak but we have been receiving calls from across the country”.
Latest Nigeria News
- Wizkid Cautions Bodyguard After He Hit His Fans At His Show (Video)
- Why My Marriage To Olu Jacobs Has Lasted – Joke Silva
- Georgia’s first female president sworn in
- Theresa May clashes with Blair over Brexit
- Struggling Southampton ends Arsenal’s unbeaten run
- One Killed As Container Falls On Two Cars In Ikeja, Lagos (Photos)
- IBB Salutes Buhari At 76th Birthday
- I Can Afford Whatever I Want, I Don’t Live A Fake Life – Nollywood Actress, Angela Okorie
- My Family Never Wanted Me To Marry OJB – 3rd Wife, Korede Finally Opens Up
- Drama As Robber Is Given A Bottle Of Beer To Drink After Being Caught In Bayelsa (Photos)
- APC Begs Buhari NOT To Participate In Presidential Debate
- I’m afraid of fetish people –Asa
- Biafra: IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu Suspends Live Broadcast
- INEC raises the alarm over PVC’s cloning in Imo
- Metele attack: Presidency, Atiku clash over Buhari’s absence at soldiers’ burial
- Anambra FRSC sector commander dies in crash
- Atiku pledges to revisit Jonathan’s confab report
- #2019Debate: Orji Kalu Reacts To Osinbajo’s Performance
- Charlyboy weds wife in church after 40 years
- Eleven die after eating ‘toxic’ rice
- REVEALED: How Buhari Got N260,000 Bank Loan To Build First House As Head Of State
- How Nigerian Doctors Almost Cut Off My Leg – Nollywood Actress, KC Ejelonu
- Full List Of House Of Reps Members Not Returning To National Assembly In 2019
- Vigilante Member, ‘Scorpion’ Who Died During IPOB Rally In Abia, Buried (Photos)
- Evil Woman Murders Neighbour’s 2-year-old Son, Dumps Corpse In Toilet To Punish Dad (Photos)
- ‘Small Waist’ Actress, Princess Shyngle Opens Up On Alleged Suicide Attempt
- How My Husband Killed Our Four Children And Himself – Grieving Woman Breaks Silence
- FACT CHECK: Verifying Osinbajo, Peter Obi’s Claims At Vice Presidential Debate
- Salah Clinches BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2018
- Fani-Kayode hails Peter Obi for knocking out Osinbajo, others
- Saraki Reacts To Peter Obi’s Performance At VP Debate. Ogundamisi Laughs
- Osinbajo, Obi, others differ over economy, subsidy regime
- CAF awards: Musa shunned, Iwobi makes final shortlist
- 2019 elections: US says violence looms in Nigeria
- Popular Nollywood actor, Ifeanyi Gbulie dead
- Paul Okoye Of Psquare Announces Change Of Name
- #2019Debate: Nigeria lost four million jobs in six months – Peter Obi
- BREAKING: Sowore’s supporters storm debate venue, protest exclusion
- #2019Debate: Osinbajo blames PDP for poor economy
- BREAKING: Military suspends UNICEF activities in North-East