Last week, Banky W ; singer and co-founder of notable Nigerian music label – Empire Mates Entertainment (E.M.E) announced that the company has now shut down operations as a record label.
With a lengthy two-part Instagram post, Banky W explained that after nine years of its operations in the Nigerian music industry, EME has morphed into an advertising, PR, media, and talent management agency.
“We are now a full-fledged Media Agency that focuses on Creative Marketing, Advertising, PR, Brand Events/Activations AND a talent management firm”, He revealed.
In memory of Empire Mates Entertainment as a record label, here’s a list of every act that was signed by Banky W .
Banky W founded E.M.E in 2002 while studying at a local university in Albany, New York. He later established the label in Nigeria after relocating to Lagos in 2008 and signed Wizkid (a then budding musician) as the first act on the label in 2009.
During Wizkid’s time with E.M.E (which expired in 2013), he released two studio albums: his widely acclaimed Superstar and sophomore Ayo (Joy) album – which houses his magnum opus “Ojuelegba”.
Wizkid’s time at E.M.E served as the bedrock and defining moments of his musical journey.
Skales who started his musical journey as a rapper was signed by Banky W in 2009: a deal that supported his dream as an emcee and pushed his new sound and image as a singer.
During his time at E.M.E, Skales released hit records like; Mukulu, Dengepose and Take Care of Me, before departing the label in 2014.
The Kano-born singer and songwriter signed a record deal with E.M.E in 2012 after impressing Banky with his opening performance at an event in Ilorin where he was schooling.
His deal with the Banky-led label helped launch his career further and earned him the opportunity of working with heavyweights like; Wizkid and Ice Prince. During his time at E.M.E, he released chart-topping singles; Won Gbo Mi and High.
He also released a 20-track studio album ‘Rhythm and Life’ before exiting the label in 2017.
Niyola who started her musical journey after she emerged runner-up at a certain talent competition in the early 2000s got signed to E.ME in 2012.
According to Banky W , he signed Niyola after hearing her sing in the bathroom at his sister’s wedding. “I was walking to the bathroom of an event center 1 day, and a voice from the female bathroom stopped me dead in my tracks. It was the most beautiful female voice I’d heard in person. I waited outside until the girl came out, and I introduced myself to Niyola”.
During her time with E.M.E, Niyola released her chart-topping single; Toh Bad and won the Nigerian Entertainment Award for Best Female Act in 2014.
Banky W however, announced Niyola’s departure from the label in 2017 along with Shaydee.
Rotimi Alakija, popularly known as DJ Xclusive was signed to Empire Mates Entertainment in 2012 along with Shaydee and Niyola. Through his time at E.M.E, the DJ grew to become the Nigerian disc jockey with the most chart-topping hits to his name; with the Timaya assisted ‘Pangolo’, to the Wizkid assisted ‘Jeje’, Xclusive surpassed the fame level of an average Nigerian DJ to becoming a household name.
DJ Xclusive is however still signed as a talent under the new E.M.E talent management and advertising structure.
Latest Nigeria News
- Wizkid Cautions Bodyguard After He Hit His Fans At His Show (Video)
- Why My Marriage To Olu Jacobs Has Lasted – Joke Silva
- Georgia’s first female president sworn in
- Theresa May clashes with Blair over Brexit
- Struggling Southampton ends Arsenal’s unbeaten run
- One Killed As Container Falls On Two Cars In Ikeja, Lagos (Photos)
- IBB Salutes Buhari At 76th Birthday
- I Can Afford Whatever I Want, I Don’t Live A Fake Life – Nollywood Actress, Angela Okorie
- My Family Never Wanted Me To Marry OJB – 3rd Wife, Korede Finally Opens Up
- Drama As Robber Is Given A Bottle Of Beer To Drink After Being Caught In Bayelsa (Photos)
- APC Begs Buhari NOT To Participate In Presidential Debate
- I’m afraid of fetish people –Asa
- Biafra: IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu Suspends Live Broadcast
- INEC raises the alarm over PVC’s cloning in Imo
- Metele attack: Presidency, Atiku clash over Buhari’s absence at soldiers’ burial
- Anambra FRSC sector commander dies in crash
- Atiku pledges to revisit Jonathan’s confab report
- #2019Debate: Orji Kalu Reacts To Osinbajo’s Performance
- Charlyboy weds wife in church after 40 years
- Eleven die after eating ‘toxic’ rice
- REVEALED: How Buhari Got N260,000 Bank Loan To Build First House As Head Of State
- How Nigerian Doctors Almost Cut Off My Leg – Nollywood Actress, KC Ejelonu
- Full List Of House Of Reps Members Not Returning To National Assembly In 2019
- Vigilante Member, ‘Scorpion’ Who Died During IPOB Rally In Abia, Buried (Photos)
- Evil Woman Murders Neighbour’s 2-year-old Son, Dumps Corpse In Toilet To Punish Dad (Photos)
- ‘Small Waist’ Actress, Princess Shyngle Opens Up On Alleged Suicide Attempt
- How My Husband Killed Our Four Children And Himself – Grieving Woman Breaks Silence
- FACT CHECK: Verifying Osinbajo, Peter Obi’s Claims At Vice Presidential Debate
- Salah Clinches BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2018
- Fani-Kayode hails Peter Obi for knocking out Osinbajo, others
- Saraki Reacts To Peter Obi’s Performance At VP Debate. Ogundamisi Laughs
- Osinbajo, Obi, others differ over economy, subsidy regime
- CAF awards: Musa shunned, Iwobi makes final shortlist
- 2019 elections: US says violence looms in Nigeria
- Popular Nollywood actor, Ifeanyi Gbulie dead
- Paul Okoye Of Psquare Announces Change Of Name
- #2019Debate: Nigeria lost four million jobs in six months – Peter Obi
- BREAKING: Sowore’s supporters storm debate venue, protest exclusion
- #2019Debate: Osinbajo blames PDP for poor economy
- BREAKING: Military suspends UNICEF activities in North-East