Last week, Banky W ; singer and co-founder of notable Nigerian music label – Empire Mates Entertainment (E.M.E) announced that the company has now shut down operations as a record label.
With a lengthy two-part Instagram post, Banky W explained that after nine years of its operations in the Nigerian music industry, EME has morphed into an advertising, PR, media, and talent management agency.
“We are now a full-fledged Media Agency that focuses on Creative Marketing, Advertising, PR, Brand Events/Activations AND a talent management firm”, He revealed.
In memory of Empire Mates Entertainment as a record label, here’s a list of every act that was signed by Banky W .
Banky W founded E.M.E in 2002 while studying at a local university in Albany, New York. He later established the label in Nigeria after relocating to Lagos in 2008 and signed Wizkid (a then budding musician) as the first act on the label in 2009.
During Wizkid’s time with E.M.E (which expired in 2013), he released two studio albums: his widely acclaimed Superstar and sophomore Ayo (Joy) album – which houses his magnum opus “Ojuelegba”.
Wizkid’s time at E.M.E served as the bedrock and defining moments of his musical journey.
Skales who started his musical journey as a rapper was signed by Banky W in 2009: a deal that supported his dream as an emcee and pushed his new sound and image as a singer.
During his time at E.M.E, Skales released hit records like; Mukulu, Dengepose and Take Care of Me, before departing the label in 2014.
The Kano-born singer and songwriter signed a record deal with E.M.E in 2012 after impressing Banky with his opening performance at an event in Ilorin where he was schooling.
His deal with the Banky-led label helped launch his career further and earned him the opportunity of working with heavyweights like; Wizkid and Ice Prince. During his time at E.M.E, he released chart-topping singles; Won Gbo Mi and High.
He also released a 20-track studio album ‘Rhythm and Life’ before exiting the label in 2017.
Niyola who started her musical journey after she emerged runner-up at a certain talent competition in the early 2000s got signed to E.ME in 2012.
According to Banky W , he signed Niyola after hearing her sing in the bathroom at his sister’s wedding. “I was walking to the bathroom of an event center 1 day, and a voice from the female bathroom stopped me dead in my tracks. It was the most beautiful female voice I’d heard in person. I waited outside until the girl came out, and I introduced myself to Niyola”.
During her time with E.M.E, Niyola released her chart-topping single; Toh Bad and won the Nigerian Entertainment Award for Best Female Act in 2014.
Banky W however, announced Niyola’s departure from the label in 2017 along with Shaydee.
Rotimi Alakija, popularly known as DJ Xclusive was signed to Empire Mates Entertainment in 2012 along with Shaydee and Niyola. Through his time at E.M.E, the DJ grew to become the Nigerian disc jockey with the most chart-topping hits to his name; with the Timaya assisted ‘Pangolo’, to the Wizkid assisted ‘Jeje’, Xclusive surpassed the fame level of an average Nigerian DJ to becoming a household name.
DJ Xclusive is however still signed as a talent under the new E.M.E talent management and advertising structure.
Latest Nigeria News
- #WorldCup 2018: What Super Eagles’ fans are saying after Argentina’s 3-0 loss to Croatia
- Ebonyi Rejects FG’s Proposed Cattle Ranching
- 7 Natural Remedies To Prevent Kidney Stones
- Beggar Caught Hiding N9.8 million In His Artificial Leg
- Atiku Reveals His Best Performing Governor
- Just 1-year After Their Wedding, Obasanjo’s Son Drags Wife To Court… Find Out Why (Photos)
- #Worldcup 2018: Aguero Reacts After Croatia Thrashed Argentina 3 – 0 In Russia
- Pastor Offers Prayer Warrior N4m To Abduct Boy For Ritual
- Notorious Nigerian Cultist, ‘Nothing Dey Happen’ Arrested With A Gun In Italy (Photos)
- #WorldCup 2018: Argentina Were Crying Like Girls – Croatia defender Sime Vrsaljko
- El Zakzaky: Shi’ites reportedly stone policeman to death in Kaduna
- Singer Simi Stuns Fans With ‘Tomboy Pose’ In Ripped Jeans (Photos)
- #WorldCup 2018: C.Ronaldo Tells Story Behind New ‘Goatee’ Goal Celebration After Scoring
- Photo Of Catholic Priest And His Muslim Mother Goes Viral
- #WorldCup 2018: Croatia thrash Argentina 3-0
- Nigeria vs Iceland: I’m ready to sacrifice my position, Mikel Obi vows
- #WorldCup 2018: Sergio Ramos Fires Back At Maradona, Says Messi Is Argentina’s All Time Best
- #WorldCup 2018: Meet The Player Who Is Not Allowed To Drink The Same Water With Teammates (Photos)
- Man United Sign Brazilian ‘Wonder Player’ For $70m
- Coach Chukwu Reveals How Nigeria Can Beat Iceland
- Ronaldo Is Like Vintage Wine, He’s Always Evolving – Portugal Coach Heap Praises On CR7
- ????Woman delivers cat during deliverance service in Delta Church (Photos)
- #WorldCup 2018: Jose Mourinho warns Argentina about one special quality Croatia team posses
- Why I play football with so much anger – Lukaku
- House Of Reps Justifies N578billion Hike In 2018 Budget
- What Happened Today At El-Zakzaky’s Trial In Kaduna
- #WorldCup 2018: Nigerian Caught After Entering Finland Illegally From Russia
- #WorldCup 2018: Rohr replies Mourinho on Mikel’s playing position comment
- OAU Sacks Professor Over Sex For Mark Scandal
- President Buhari Finally Signs 2018 Budget (See Details)
- Between Davido’s Chioma & a Disgruntled Follower Who Rubbished Her Delicacy (Photo)
- OMG:Man And His Wife Exposed After Offering Newborn Baby For Sale At N750,000 In Delta
- Horror: Police Officers, Several Others Injured As Police, Shi’ites Clash Heavily In Kaduna
- #WorldCup 2018: Super Eagles rated third worst team
- Obama condemns Trump immigration policy
- #WorldCup 2018: Suarez’s goal takes Uruguay into second round as Saudi Arabia crashes out
- ‘Charity begins at home’ – Daddy Freeze attacks Pastor Adeboye’s son
- ????How This FRSC Official Embarrassed Himself After A Motorist Refused To Stop (Photos)
- Video Of XXXTENTACION Immediately After He Was Shot By Armed Robbers
- ????I Beat My Wife, Yet We Are Besties” – Pastor Advises Women Not To Leave Home Over Domestic Violence