Last week, Banky W ; singer and co-founder of notable Nigerian music label – Empire Mates Entertainment (E.M.E) announced that the company has now shut down operations as a record label.
With a lengthy two-part Instagram post, Banky W explained that after nine years of its operations in the Nigerian music industry, EME has morphed into an advertising, PR, media, and talent management agency.
“We are now a full-fledged Media Agency that focuses on Creative Marketing, Advertising, PR, Brand Events/Activations AND a talent management firm”, He revealed.
In memory of Empire Mates Entertainment as a record label, here’s a list of every act that was signed by Banky W .
Banky W founded E.M.E in 2002 while studying at a local university in Albany, New York. He later established the label in Nigeria after relocating to Lagos in 2008 and signed Wizkid (a then budding musician) as the first act on the label in 2009.
During Wizkid’s time with E.M.E (which expired in 2013), he released two studio albums: his widely acclaimed Superstar and sophomore Ayo (Joy) album – which houses his magnum opus “Ojuelegba”.
Wizkid’s time at E.M.E served as the bedrock and defining moments of his musical journey.
Skales who started his musical journey as a rapper was signed by Banky W in 2009: a deal that supported his dream as an emcee and pushed his new sound and image as a singer.
During his time at E.M.E, Skales released hit records like; Mukulu, Dengepose and Take Care of Me, before departing the label in 2014.
The Kano-born singer and songwriter signed a record deal with E.M.E in 2012 after impressing Banky with his opening performance at an event in Ilorin where he was schooling.
His deal with the Banky-led label helped launch his career further and earned him the opportunity of working with heavyweights like; Wizkid and Ice Prince. During his time at E.M.E, he released chart-topping singles; Won Gbo Mi and High.
He also released a 20-track studio album ‘Rhythm and Life’ before exiting the label in 2017.
Niyola who started her musical journey after she emerged runner-up at a certain talent competition in the early 2000s got signed to E.ME in 2012.
According to Banky W , he signed Niyola after hearing her sing in the bathroom at his sister’s wedding. “I was walking to the bathroom of an event center 1 day, and a voice from the female bathroom stopped me dead in my tracks. It was the most beautiful female voice I’d heard in person. I waited outside until the girl came out, and I introduced myself to Niyola”.
During her time with E.M.E, Niyola released her chart-topping single; Toh Bad and won the Nigerian Entertainment Award for Best Female Act in 2014.
Banky W however, announced Niyola’s departure from the label in 2017 along with Shaydee.
Rotimi Alakija, popularly known as DJ Xclusive was signed to Empire Mates Entertainment in 2012 along with Shaydee and Niyola. Through his time at E.M.E, the DJ grew to become the Nigerian disc jockey with the most chart-topping hits to his name; with the Timaya assisted ‘Pangolo’, to the Wizkid assisted ‘Jeje’, Xclusive surpassed the fame level of an average Nigerian DJ to becoming a household name.
DJ Xclusive is however still signed as a talent under the new E.M.E talent management and advertising structure.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ban on smartphones unconstitutional, Ekweremadu tells INEC
- UCL: Juventus victorious despite Ronaldo red card
- UCL: Cornet stars as less-fancied Lyon stun Manchester City
- UCL: Real Madrid run riot against Roma
- The moment that saw Cristiano Ronaldo see red (Video)
- 2019: Chris Giwa declares senatorial bid
- FG suspends Nigeria Air indefinitely
- Osun election: Saraki, Atiku, Secondus rally support for Adeleke
- 3 officials given life bans by FIFA for corruption
- Father threatens to throw child from window
- Drama As Fight Breaks Out In Church When Pastor Tells Woman Her Best Friend Is Behind Her Problems (Video)
- BREAKING: Police Invite Davido’s Uncle, Sen. Adeleke For Allegedly Engaging In Exam Malpractice
- Gov. Ambode Reacts To Rumours Of Stepping Down From Guber Race
- Story Of Identical Twin Sisters Who Gave Birth To Sons On The Same Day At The Same Hospital (Photos)
- US-based Nigerian Group Offers To Pay Leah Sharibu’s Ransom
- Lovely Photos Of Basketmouth And His Beautiful Wife
- Adorable Photo Of Actress Yvonne Nelson And Her Daughter
- Comedian Bovi And Wife Celebrate Their 9th Wedding Anniversary, Release Adorable Photos
- BREAKING: I Will Contest Lagos Gov Election – Jimi Agbaje Finally Confirms
- Police Speak On AAU Graduation Cult Clash That Left Many Dead
- Juventus Forward, Costa Bags Four-Match Ban After Spitting Incident
- Racism: Mesut Ozil’s agent blasts Kroos, Neuer, Muller
- Buhari does not understand governance – Saraki insists
- 2019: INEC clarifies statement on ban of smart phones around polling units
- UCL: Jurgen Klopp singles out one player that helped Liverpool beat PSG
- UCL: Griezmann, Costa combine as Atletico undo Monaco
- Oyo govt shuts Obasanjo Farms in Ibadan
- Champions League: Lionel Messi hits hat-trick as Barcelona thrash PSV 4-0
- Champions League: Firmino hands Liverpool flying Champions League start over PSG
- UCL: Sergio Ramos attacks Griezmann over Messi, Ronaldo
- How Buhari committed abomination by replacing Kemi Adesoun with El-Rufai’s stepsister – HURIWA
- President Buhari Storms Osogbo For APC Mega Rally (Photo)
- Tension As Italian Catholic Priest Is Kidnapped In Niger
- Boko Haram And The Concept Of ‘Technical Defeat’
- 2Baba’s First Son, Nino’s Lovely Birthday Message To His Dad Will Warm Your Heart
- REVEALED: Cristiano Ronaldo’s Last Speech For Real Madrid In The Champions League Final
- ‘Tomorrow Is Pregnant’ – Man Shares Throwback Photo With Ex Classmate Who Is Now A Governor
- 2019: APC Chieftain, Dahiru Yusuf Yabo Dumps Party, Defects To PDP
- I’ll Teach You How To Defeat Tinubu In Lagos, Saraki Tells Lagosians
- Emmy Awards 2018: ‘Game of Thrones’ wins best drama series