President Muhammadu Buhari has thanked UK Prime Minister, Theresa May for the effort of the British government towards the training of the Nigerian Army in the fight against Boko Haram insurgents.
Buhari on Monday held a bilateral meeting with UK Prime Minister, Theresa May at 10, Downing Street, London.
The President told the Prime Minister that, “We campaigned on three major issues; to secure the country, revive the economy and fight corruption.
“We have elections next year, politicians are already preoccupied with the polls, but I am bothered more about security and the economy,” he stressed.
Recalling that Nigeria and Britain have a long history of cooperation on several fronts, President Buhari stated: “People ought to know how they arrived where they are, if they would move forward. It was a mistake for us to have stopped the teaching of history as a subject in schools, but we are returning it to the curriculum now.
He commended British companies “who have stood with Nigeria through thick and thin. Even when we fought a Civil War, they never left.
“But like Oliver Twist, we ask for more investments. We are encouraging more British companies to come to Nigeria. We appreciate the support you have given in training and equipping our military, particularly in the war against insurgency, but we want to also continue to work with you on trade and investment.
President Buhari briefed Prime Minister May on the strides in agriculture, which he said has put Nigeria firmly on the road to food self-sufficiency.
“I am very pleased with the successes in agriculture,” he said, adding that, “We have cut rice importation by about 90%, made lots of savings of foreign exchange, and generated employment. People had rushed to the cities to get oil money, at the expense of farming. But luckily, they are now going back to the farms. Even professionals are going back to the land. We are making steady progress on the road to food security.”
On education, President Buhari said more investment was being made, because, “people can look after themselves if well educated. In this age of technology, education is very important. We need well-staffed and well-equipped institutions to move into the next generation.
Climate change and environmental issues also came up for discussion, and President Buhari brought up the necessity of inter-basin water transfer from Congo Basin to Lake Chad.
According to him: “The Lake Chad is now about 10% of its original size, and it is perhaps one of the reasons our youths dare both the Sahara Desert and the Mediterranean, to get to Europe. But if there is inter-basin water transfer, about 40 million people in Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon, Chad, and other countries stand to benefit. I made the case during the Climate Change Summit in France. If Lake Chad is recharged, it will reduce the number of youths coming to Europe to increase social problems. We brought back about 4,000 people from Libya recently. Almost all of them were below 30, and Libya was not their final destination. They were headed to Europe.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Wow! Davido Reportedly Gives Fan $1000 Just To Get Back At A Troll On Social Media…See How It Happened
- Heartbreaking: 18-Year-Old Talented African Footballer Dies Of Malaria In Portugal (Photos)
- Last Photos Of World Famous DJ, Avicii Six Days Before He Was Found Dead
- Bayern must be fearless against Real – Robben
- Lukaku says Man Utd can win Premier League next year
- #BBNaija 2018: NBC speaks on hosting of show in South Africa
- Alexis Sanchez reveals why he didn’t post any tribute to Arsene Wenger
- #BBNaija 2018 : Why Northerners don’t participate in reality show – Arewa youth leader, Shettima
- Why we didn’t renew Chidinma’s contract – Ill Bliss
- Why we didn’t renew Chidinma’s contract – Ill Bliss
- #BBNaija 2018: Unmasking the face of Big Brother, what you don’t know
- Nigerian Newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Sunday morning
- Igbo presidency: Buhari will handover to Osinbajo, don’t be deceived – Chekwas Okorie tells South East
- The Bible Is Not Against Divorce – Apostle Alfred Williams
- Stephanie Okoreke and Husband Linus Idahosa Are In Abuja For Their 6th Wedding Anniversary
- FA Cup: Manchester United defeat Tottenham, qualify for final
- BREAKING: Buhari returns to Abuja after CHOGM in London
- El-Rufai declared missing in Kaduna
- Maureen Solomon: I Quit Acting To Dedicate Time For My Children, My Husband Didn’t Stop Me
- Too Much Money: Duncan Mighty Proudly Rocks Costly Gucci Denim Jacket He Bought For N1.1 Million
- Stay away from any man who can’t make you cum – Actress Shyngle
- Man disqualifies job seekers for not having voters’ card
- First photos from the white wedding of Xerona Duke and DJ Caise
- Copa del Rey finals: Messi an alien that should live in sky not earth – Montella
- Nigerian Comedian, Teju Babyface Welcomes Twins With His Wife After 6 Years Of Bareness
- Ahead of Headies 2018, Davido begs for votes for Mayorkun, Peruzzi
- Ebonyi Governor David Umahi declares Public Holiday for PVC Registration
- Senate mace theft ‘a very primitive adventure’ – Saraki
- No man can resist my big boobs – Nollywood actress Stella Idika
- Buhari joined Nigerian Army without O’Level certificate – Fayose
- Sophia Momodu replies follower who called her 2-year-old daughter “sexy”
- OAU Sex-for-marks scandal; female student involved, speaks out
- Young man’s gesture to his great grandmother goes viral! (photos)
- “My wealth is not from oil bunkering” – Duncan Mighty cries out
- President Buhari must apologise to the youths – Shehu Sani
- Presidency reacts to ‘Zahra Buhari’s’ Facebook post insulting Nigerians
- Details of why Wenger resigned as Arsenal manager revealed
- LIKE SERIOUSLY! Young Man Takes His S£x Doll On A Date To The Popular Ikeja Mall In Lagos (Video)
- More Exclusive Pictures Of Timaya Lekki Mansion! (Photos)
- Actress, Victoria Kolawole Looks Adorable As She Rocks White Tube Top (Photos)