President Muhammadu Buhari has thanked UK Prime Minister, Theresa May for the effort of the British government towards the training of the Nigerian Army in the fight against Boko Haram insurgents.
Buhari on Monday held a bilateral meeting with UK Prime Minister, Theresa May at 10, Downing Street, London.
The President told the Prime Minister that, “We campaigned on three major issues; to secure the country, revive the economy and fight corruption.
“We have elections next year, politicians are already preoccupied with the polls, but I am bothered more about security and the economy,” he stressed.
Recalling that Nigeria and Britain have a long history of cooperation on several fronts, President Buhari stated: “People ought to know how they arrived where they are, if they would move forward. It was a mistake for us to have stopped the teaching of history as a subject in schools, but we are returning it to the curriculum now.
He commended British companies “who have stood with Nigeria through thick and thin. Even when we fought a Civil War, they never left.
“But like Oliver Twist, we ask for more investments. We are encouraging more British companies to come to Nigeria. We appreciate the support you have given in training and equipping our military, particularly in the war against insurgency, but we want to also continue to work with you on trade and investment.
President Buhari briefed Prime Minister May on the strides in agriculture, which he said has put Nigeria firmly on the road to food self-sufficiency.
“I am very pleased with the successes in agriculture,” he said, adding that, “We have cut rice importation by about 90%, made lots of savings of foreign exchange, and generated employment. People had rushed to the cities to get oil money, at the expense of farming. But luckily, they are now going back to the farms. Even professionals are going back to the land. We are making steady progress on the road to food security.”
On education, President Buhari said more investment was being made, because, “people can look after themselves if well educated. In this age of technology, education is very important. We need well-staffed and well-equipped institutions to move into the next generation.
Climate change and environmental issues also came up for discussion, and President Buhari brought up the necessity of inter-basin water transfer from Congo Basin to Lake Chad.
According to him: “The Lake Chad is now about 10% of its original size, and it is perhaps one of the reasons our youths dare both the Sahara Desert and the Mediterranean, to get to Europe. But if there is inter-basin water transfer, about 40 million people in Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon, Chad, and other countries stand to benefit. I made the case during the Climate Change Summit in France. If Lake Chad is recharged, it will reduce the number of youths coming to Europe to increase social problems. We brought back about 4,000 people from Libya recently. Almost all of them were below 30, and Libya was not their final destination. They were headed to Europe.”
Latest Nigeria News
- 3-Year-Old Pupil Disappears At Graduation Ceremony In Anambra (Photo)
- She Said Yes! – Real Madrid Star, Sergio Ramos Engaged To TV Presenter, Pilar Rubio (Photos)
- Checkout Russian President’s Awesome Limo Which Cannot Be Bombed And Can Stay Underwater (Photos)
- Ekiti State Gov. Fayose Makes First Public Appearance After His Party Lost Governorship Election (Photos)
- Meet Ronaldo’s Girlfriend, Georgina Rodriguez
- Femi Otedola Attends Basketmouth’s Wife’s Birthday Celebration (Photos)
- I Want My Playful Bestfriend Back – Mercy Johnson’s Hubby Cries Out Over Wife’s Change Of Behaviour
- Reasons Why Tiwa Savage Shunned Wizkid’s Birthday
- Anglican Church Abolishes Wedding Before Traditional Marriage
- EFCC disowns gloating tweet on Fayose which came from their verified account
- Nigerian Professional Football League Suspended Indefinitely – LMC
- World Cup stadium severely damaged by landslide days after France vs Croatia in Russia 2018 final (Photos)
- Heartbreaking Story Of Handsome Nigerian Model Stabbed To Death In London Because Of A Girl (Photos)
- Dasuki Fulfills Bail Conditions, Finally Set To Be Released Today – Lawyer
- Nollywood Actress, Ini Edo Slays In New Photos
- Cute Photos Of Davido’s 3-Year-Old Daughter, Imade Looking Sharp In Gucci Shirt
- PDP group woos Saraki, Lai Mohammed
- Fayose’s defeat will end stomach infrastructure – Itse Sagay
- President Buhari mourns as 44 die, 500 houses destroyed in Katsina flood
- How Alfa used fake vision to rape student in Lagos – Police
- Fans Blast Yoruba Actress, Mercy Aigbe For Exposing Her Bosom In Public (Photo)
- Messi, Ronaldo knocked off the Ballon d’Or podium places
- Tennis: Serena Williams returns to top 30 in world rankings
- Don’t be deceived by Ekiti “rigging”- PDP tells Buhari, APC
- Kylian Mbappe to donate his entire earnings (£384,000) from playing in the World Cup to charity.
- Governor Ortom Dumps APC
- Catholic Priests Reveal Type Of Candidates Nigerians Should Support In 2019
- Oshiomhole Reacts To Gov. Ortom’s Exit From APC, Killings By Herdsmen
- Antonio Conte breaks silence after he was sacked by Chelsea
- Suspected assassins kill couple in Anambra community
- IPOB to demonstrate at the Hague as Buhari arrives Netherlands
- Cristiano Ronaldo speaks on jersey number at Juventus
- Okorocha reveals why President Buhari will win in South East
- People Are Planning To Kill Me – Daddy Showkey Cries Out
- Obama Dances With His Grandmother After Arriving Kenya (Video)
- Minister Of Finance, Adeosun Must Clear Her Name Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate – SERA
- I Didn’t Want To See France Win – Goalkeeper, Courtois
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s Transfer To Juventus Is A ‘Historic Error’ – Ex-Real Madrid President Blows Hot
- Workers’ Salary Arrears Will Be Paid In Six Months – Fayemi
- Imo crisis: God’ll impeach Okorocha, says Umeh