President Muhammadu Buhari has thanked UK Prime Minister, Theresa May for the effort of the British government towards the training of the Nigerian Army in the fight against Boko Haram insurgents.
Buhari on Monday held a bilateral meeting with UK Prime Minister, Theresa May at 10, Downing Street, London.
The President told the Prime Minister that, “We campaigned on three major issues; to secure the country, revive the economy and fight corruption.
“We have elections next year, politicians are already preoccupied with the polls, but I am bothered more about security and the economy,” he stressed.
Recalling that Nigeria and Britain have a long history of cooperation on several fronts, President Buhari stated: “People ought to know how they arrived where they are, if they would move forward. It was a mistake for us to have stopped the teaching of history as a subject in schools, but we are returning it to the curriculum now.
He commended British companies “who have stood with Nigeria through thick and thin. Even when we fought a Civil War, they never left.
“But like Oliver Twist, we ask for more investments. We are encouraging more British companies to come to Nigeria. We appreciate the support you have given in training and equipping our military, particularly in the war against insurgency, but we want to also continue to work with you on trade and investment.
President Buhari briefed Prime Minister May on the strides in agriculture, which he said has put Nigeria firmly on the road to food self-sufficiency.
“I am very pleased with the successes in agriculture,” he said, adding that, “We have cut rice importation by about 90%, made lots of savings of foreign exchange, and generated employment. People had rushed to the cities to get oil money, at the expense of farming. But luckily, they are now going back to the farms. Even professionals are going back to the land. We are making steady progress on the road to food security.”
On education, President Buhari said more investment was being made, because, “people can look after themselves if well educated. In this age of technology, education is very important. We need well-staffed and well-equipped institutions to move into the next generation.
Climate change and environmental issues also came up for discussion, and President Buhari brought up the necessity of inter-basin water transfer from Congo Basin to Lake Chad.
According to him: “The Lake Chad is now about 10% of its original size, and it is perhaps one of the reasons our youths dare both the Sahara Desert and the Mediterranean, to get to Europe. But if there is inter-basin water transfer, about 40 million people in Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon, Chad, and other countries stand to benefit. I made the case during the Climate Change Summit in France. If Lake Chad is recharged, it will reduce the number of youths coming to Europe to increase social problems. We brought back about 4,000 people from Libya recently. Almost all of them were below 30, and Libya was not their final destination. They were headed to Europe.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Abducted Dapchi Girl, Leah Sharibu’s Mother, Others Sue FG, Claim N500m Damages
- Nigerians Cry Out For Help As Ghana Closes 400 Of Their Businesses
- Nigeria Might Slide Back To Recession – CBN
- Famous Actor, Will Smith Bungee Jumps Out Of Helicopter To Celebrate His 50th Birthday (Video)
- Minimum wage: NLC tells workers to begin strike Thursday
- FIFA Best Player award: Messi votes for Ronaldo
- Applicant dies during FRSC recruitment in Kogi
- Pastor Adeboye’s Son Reacts To Reports That He Called Osun Voters Fools
- FRSC Recruitment: Applicants To Be Disqualified If They Have The Following Deformity
- PDP Leadership Divided Over Venue For Presidential Primaries
- Pogba can never be Man United captain again —Mourinho
- Osun rerun: Fayemi visits Omisore
- #OsunDecides2018: PDP Claims Discovery Of Votes Deduction By INEC
- Why I Want My Son-in-law To Be Next Kano Governor – Kwankwaso
- Billionaire Businessman, Femi Otedola Spotted With FIFA President In London (Photo)
- Osun Election: INEC Speaks On Staff Caught ‘Altering’ Results, Admits Error In Vote Collation
- Super Eagles Legend, Kanu Nwankwo And Wife Meet With Didier Drogba In London (Photos)
- FG Finally Reveals Why Nigeria Air Was Suspended
- 3 Lagos Hospitals Could Not Save Her – Ras Kimono’s Stepson Reveals How His Mother Died
- Fears Over ‘Killer’ Palm Oil In Nigeria
- FIFA to reintroduce agent licences
- BREAKING: UN chief warns of ‘chaotic’ world order as General Assembly opens
- Jubilation As Notorious Kidnapper Is Captured By Police In Imo State
- Death Toll Hits 108, As Flood Displaces 441,251 People
- Luka Modric Wins FIFA #TheBest Footballer Of The Year Award (See Best 11)
- Davido Buys The Latest Iphone XS for His Crew (Photos)
- Labour Set For Nationwide Strike Over Delayed Minimum Wage
- Hundreds Storm Osun INEC Office In Serious Protest Against Rerun
- Pretty Lady Celebrates Grandmother’s 95th Birthday With A Fun-themed Photoshoot
- Drake Writes To Fans After Collapsing On Stage
- Buhari Approves N42.68 Billion For ASUU & Former Workers Of Defunct Nigeria Airways
- South-east Governors Asked Muhammadu Buhari To Proscribe IPOB – Group
- I Used To Be Reckless With Women – Teddy-A Speaks On Bambam, Fame, Movies & Controversies
- Football Star, Sheyi Ojo Ready To Ditch England For Nigeria
- ????Popular Philanthropist, Kokun Reveals He Is Very Depressed And Is Thinking Of Suicide
- APC Primary: Lagos Assembly Speaker Begs Lagosians To Pray For Governor Ambode
- Why Chelsea Drew Against West Ham – David Luiz Speaks On Ending Perfect Start
- Tiwa Savage Kneels Down To Greet Sir Shina Peters (Photos)
- Osun Re-run: What PDP Should Do – Lawyer
- BREAKING: Italy Govt. Adopts New Anti-migrant Decree