The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), on Monday called for an immediate inquest into the alleged violent clash between security forces and members of the Shiite movement, in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.
The clash, which rendered human and vehicular movement cumbersome, lasted for several hours as men of the Nigeria Police Force struggled to restore order in the affected parts of the city.
In a statement signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, the party said an inquest into what truly led to the crisis would go a long way in determining the causative factors of the chaos, which expectedly grounded business activities in the city centre.
“Our party is gravely worried over the handling of security in the nation’s capital and the near breakdown of law and order, which resulted in stampede and disruption of public and private businesses in the city centre.
“The PDP has noted that the development is linked with protests over the continued refusal of the All Progressives Congress (APC)-led federal government to release the leader of the group, Sheik Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, despite being granted bail by courts of competent jurisdiction.
“The PDP and indeed all lovers of democracy across the country are deeply concerned by the continued erosion of democratic tenets by the APC administration, resulting in avoidable crisis in various parts of the country,” he said.
The leading opposition party called for immediate solution to prevent the crisis from further escalation.
Latest Nigeria News
- Wizkid Cautions Bodyguard After He Hit His Fans At His Show (Video)
- Why My Marriage To Olu Jacobs Has Lasted – Joke Silva
- Georgia’s first female president sworn in
- Theresa May clashes with Blair over Brexit
- Struggling Southampton ends Arsenal’s unbeaten run
- One Killed As Container Falls On Two Cars In Ikeja, Lagos (Photos)
- IBB Salutes Buhari At 76th Birthday
- I Can Afford Whatever I Want, I Don’t Live A Fake Life – Nollywood Actress, Angela Okorie
- My Family Never Wanted Me To Marry OJB – 3rd Wife, Korede Finally Opens Up
- Drama As Robber Is Given A Bottle Of Beer To Drink After Being Caught In Bayelsa (Photos)
- APC Begs Buhari NOT To Participate In Presidential Debate
- I’m afraid of fetish people –Asa
- Biafra: IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu Suspends Live Broadcast
- INEC raises the alarm over PVC’s cloning in Imo
- Metele attack: Presidency, Atiku clash over Buhari’s absence at soldiers’ burial
- Anambra FRSC sector commander dies in crash
- Atiku pledges to revisit Jonathan’s confab report
- #2019Debate: Orji Kalu Reacts To Osinbajo’s Performance
- Charlyboy weds wife in church after 40 years
- Eleven die after eating ‘toxic’ rice
- REVEALED: How Buhari Got N260,000 Bank Loan To Build First House As Head Of State
- How Nigerian Doctors Almost Cut Off My Leg – Nollywood Actress, KC Ejelonu
- Full List Of House Of Reps Members Not Returning To National Assembly In 2019
- Vigilante Member, ‘Scorpion’ Who Died During IPOB Rally In Abia, Buried (Photos)
- Evil Woman Murders Neighbour’s 2-year-old Son, Dumps Corpse In Toilet To Punish Dad (Photos)
- ‘Small Waist’ Actress, Princess Shyngle Opens Up On Alleged Suicide Attempt
- How My Husband Killed Our Four Children And Himself – Grieving Woman Breaks Silence
- FACT CHECK: Verifying Osinbajo, Peter Obi’s Claims At Vice Presidential Debate
- Salah Clinches BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2018
- Fani-Kayode hails Peter Obi for knocking out Osinbajo, others
- Saraki Reacts To Peter Obi’s Performance At VP Debate. Ogundamisi Laughs
- Osinbajo, Obi, others differ over economy, subsidy regime
- CAF awards: Musa shunned, Iwobi makes final shortlist
- 2019 elections: US says violence looms in Nigeria
- Popular Nollywood actor, Ifeanyi Gbulie dead
- Paul Okoye Of Psquare Announces Change Of Name
- #2019Debate: Nigeria lost four million jobs in six months – Peter Obi
- BREAKING: Sowore’s supporters storm debate venue, protest exclusion
- #2019Debate: Osinbajo blames PDP for poor economy
- BREAKING: Military suspends UNICEF activities in North-East