Kenya Airways has blamed the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE) for the sack of 24 of its Nigerian workers saying the labour union failed to take pro-active steps to protect the local staff when they were notified of Kenya Airways’ intention to render the workers redundant.
You recall, Kenya Airways shocked many yesterday when they sacked 22 of their 26 employees in Nigeria and appointed Total Air Logistics Limited, a general sales agent (GSA) to handle its commercial operations and customer service.
The four Nigerian staff currently retained by the management of the airline after the exercise were the Country Manager Afeez Balogun, the Station Manager, and two other staff.
The 24 sacked Kenya Airways staff were issued their disengagement letters at the airline’s office in Lagos in the presence of stern-looking police officers who were engaged by the airline to scare away the affected staff and prevent possible breakdown of law and order.
A source told Punch that the “affected staff were only given four weeks wages on disengagement by the management”.
Fast forward to today, a document made available to Daily Sun by a source within Kenya Airways listed several attempts made by the airline to facilitate a meeting with the unions on the planned redundancy of some of the Nigerian workers insisting that the union had failed to honour scheduled meetings to deliberate on the fate of the workers.
“We were very sad that the Nigerian union had clearly avoided the meetings scheduled with Kenya Airways on the redundancy plans, they kept procrastinating even when some of Kenya Airways officials came from our head office in Nairobi, Kenya. And it was as if they weren’t interested in what goes on with the workers,” said the source.
The letter with reference number: IR/NUATE/11/04/2018/BF dated April 11, 2018, sent to the General Secretary of the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE) and signed by the Acting Chief Human Resources Officer of Kenya Airways, Bridgette Imbuga, and made available to Daily Sun, stated that the airline as at January 15, 2018 notified the union of its redundancy plan.
According to the letter, NUATE had picked different dates ranging from February 15, 2018, February 26, 2018, March 6, 2018, March 16, 2018, and April 5, 2018 for a meeting with the management of the airline, but failed to honour any of the dates and gave no excuses for its inability to honour any of the dates proposed by the union itself.
“From the foregoing, it is clear that you are unwilling or uninterested in engaging management in negotiations on such an important matter affecting employees who are your members.
On our part, we have demonstrated our willingness and commitment to use our best endeavours to negotiate separation terms for the employees who will be affected by the redundancy,” the letter read.
Kenya Airways operates 10 weekly flights to Nigeria from Nairobi. Kenya Airways, known by its international code KQ, said it hired Total Air Logistics, a general sales agent, to sell passenger tickets and cargo space in Lagos, Nigeria’s largest city.
A general sales agent (GSA) is a firm to which an airline delegates authority to represent it for purposes of overseeing sales in a defined territory. It is paid a commission.
Airlines normally use a GSA in areas where they do not operate from, allowing them to have a sales presence in the country at a lower cost than opening their own offices.
Latest Nigeria News
- Wow! Davido Reportedly Gives Fan $1000 Just To Get Back At A Troll On Social Media…See How It Happened
- Heartbreaking: 18-Year-Old Talented African Footballer Dies Of Malaria In Portugal (Photos)
- Last Photos Of World Famous DJ, Avicii Six Days Before He Was Found Dead
- Bayern must be fearless against Real – Robben
- Lukaku says Man Utd can win Premier League next year
- #BBNaija 2018: NBC speaks on hosting of show in South Africa
- Alexis Sanchez reveals why he didn’t post any tribute to Arsene Wenger
- #BBNaija 2018 : Why Northerners don’t participate in reality show – Arewa youth leader, Shettima
- Why we didn’t renew Chidinma’s contract – Ill Bliss
- Why we didn’t renew Chidinma’s contract – Ill Bliss
- #BBNaija 2018: Unmasking the face of Big Brother, what you don’t know
- Nigerian Newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Sunday morning
- Igbo presidency: Buhari will handover to Osinbajo, don’t be deceived – Chekwas Okorie tells South East
- The Bible Is Not Against Divorce – Apostle Alfred Williams
- Stephanie Okoreke and Husband Linus Idahosa Are In Abuja For Their 6th Wedding Anniversary
- FA Cup: Manchester United defeat Tottenham, qualify for final
- BREAKING: Buhari returns to Abuja after CHOGM in London
- El-Rufai declared missing in Kaduna
- Maureen Solomon: I Quit Acting To Dedicate Time For My Children, My Husband Didn’t Stop Me
- Too Much Money: Duncan Mighty Proudly Rocks Costly Gucci Denim Jacket He Bought For N1.1 Million
- Stay away from any man who can’t make you cum – Actress Shyngle
- Man disqualifies job seekers for not having voters’ card
- First photos from the white wedding of Xerona Duke and DJ Caise
- Copa del Rey finals: Messi an alien that should live in sky not earth – Montella
- Nigerian Comedian, Teju Babyface Welcomes Twins With His Wife After 6 Years Of Bareness
- Ahead of Headies 2018, Davido begs for votes for Mayorkun, Peruzzi
- Ebonyi Governor David Umahi declares Public Holiday for PVC Registration
- Senate mace theft ‘a very primitive adventure’ – Saraki
- No man can resist my big boobs – Nollywood actress Stella Idika
- Buhari joined Nigerian Army without O’Level certificate – Fayose
- Sophia Momodu replies follower who called her 2-year-old daughter “sexy”
- OAU Sex-for-marks scandal; female student involved, speaks out
- Young man’s gesture to his great grandmother goes viral! (photos)
- “My wealth is not from oil bunkering” – Duncan Mighty cries out
- President Buhari must apologise to the youths – Shehu Sani
- Presidency reacts to ‘Zahra Buhari’s’ Facebook post insulting Nigerians
- Details of why Wenger resigned as Arsenal manager revealed
- LIKE SERIOUSLY! Young Man Takes His S£x Doll On A Date To The Popular Ikeja Mall In Lagos (Video)
- More Exclusive Pictures Of Timaya Lekki Mansion! (Photos)
- Actress, Victoria Kolawole Looks Adorable As She Rocks White Tube Top (Photos)