Arjen Robben says Bayern Munich can ill afford to show Real Madrid any fear if they want to avoid a second-straight Champions League exit against the Spaniards.
Bayern host Real at Munich’s Allianz Arena in Wednesday’s blockbuster semi-final, first leg, in a repeat of last year’s quarter-final.
Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice in each leg of the 2017 quarters, after Bayern had failed to capitalise on their chances at home, as Real won 6-3 on aggregate.
“Last year we did not do well in the home game and played with a bit of fear,” said Robben.
“That should not happen on Wednesday.
“We’ll be ready. They can also be vulnerable and we can go into the game with our heads high.”
A year ago, Bayern lost the first-leg 2-1 in Munich, then went down 4-2 away.
In Munich, Arturo Vidal scored early for Bayern, but then failed to convert a penalty with the Germans controlling the game and Real on the ropes.
However the match turned as Ronaldo netted two second-half goals and Bayern had Javi Martinez sent off for a second booking.
Bayern went down fighting in the return ,losing 4-2 away having played extra time with a man down after Vidal was sent off late on and Ronaldo wrapped up his hat-trick.
The Germans face a daunting task again.
Madrid have won their last five matches against Bayern, scoring 13 goals and conceding four in the process, and are bidding to win the Champions League for the third straight season.
It is easy to understand any nervousness in Bayern’s ranks facing superstar Ronaldo.
Real’s goal-machine has hit seven goals in his last three appearances against Bayern and the Portugal superstar has scored 15 goals in the Champions League this season alone.
Real had no match this weekend, but Bundesliga champions Bayern warmed up with a 3-0 win at Hanover.
Thomas Mueller and Robert Lewandowski both came off the bench to score second-half goals.
This season, Bayern fancy their chances against Real.
Lewandowski, their top-scorer who was injured for last season’s first leg against Real, has hit 39 goals, compared to Ronaldo’s 42, in all competitions in 2017/18.
Bayern have scored 14 times in their last three games — with Lewandowski and Mueller claiming four goals each.
“We are in good shape, it will definitely be a great fight,” said Bayern president Uli Hoeness.
Jupp Heynckes, who led Bayern to their 2013 treble, wants a place in the Champions League final on May 26 in Kiev before stepping down as head coach.
Just as he did in 2013, the 72-year-old could bow out with the treble.
Bayern have already secured a sixth straight Bundesliga title and are into the German Cup final on May 19.
“We have the big goal of moving into the final,” said Heynckes who will be replaced by Eintracht Frankfurt’s Niko Kovac next season.
Latest Nigeria News
- Champions League final: Klopp speaks on Zidane being “tactically clueless”
- “Linda Ikeji Is A Runs Girl For Top Politicians” – Kemi Olunloyo Threatens To Mention Names
- Gospel Singer Frank Edward And His Fleet Of Cars (Photos)
- Zainab Balogun Is Having The Best of Her Time On Honeymoon Vacation In Thailand
- Here’s An Advice From Kiss Daniel For The Weekend
- 2018 World Cup: Rohr warns girls not to visit Super Eagles players
- Falz – This Is Nigeria
- Nigerian Family Publicly Disowns Lesbian Daughter On National Newspaper Over Same S*x Marriage
- President Trump Makes U-Turn On Summit With North Korea
- 5 Things Women Find Very Attractive In Men Besides Just Looks
- Billionaire Kidnapper, Evans Arraigned By Police In Lagos, Asks Court For The ‘Unbelievable’ Thing
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba only cares about his hair colour, France not big team – Denmark coach
- President Buhari receives 2018 budget
- Arsenal Opens Up On Why Unai Emery Was Appointed As Wenger’s Replacement
- NURTW Boss, Mc Oluomo’s Twins Graduate From The University Of Atlanta, Georgia
- Atiku Abubakar’s Wife Reveals How Wives & Children Of The Politician Suffer Private Pain
- Tiwa Savage Shares Some Stunning New Photos Showcasing How She Seduced Wizkid
- WTF! Father Caught On Camera Teaching His Toddler Daughter How To Smoke A Cigarette
- Shock In Abia As Many Students Injured After Suspected Rapists Attack All Girls Secondary School
- SO SAD! SARS Officer, Michael Maji Murdered 10 Days After His Wedding (Photos)
- FB User, Princess Adaeze Emejuru Exposes Movie Director, Tyrone Who Nearly Exploited Her Sexually
- BBNaija: Miracle Breaks His Silence, Reveals What He Has Been Up To (Photos)
- Bobrisky Has Something To Say About Linda Ikeji’s Pregnancy
- ‘Fake pregnancy’: Tonto Dike reacts to Linda Ikeji, Kemi Olunloyo’s clash
- Boko Haram: How Nigerian soldiers, CJTF impregnated us, killed our husbands – Victim narrates ordeal
- Rare Photo Of Rapper Olamide With His Son And Babymama
- BBNaija: Tobi Bakre Is Looking For Cee-c’s Trouble Once Again… Here’s What He Did
- Wizkid to release new Merch on Friday; Now everyone gets to wear Starboy!
- Champions League final: Liverpool CEO questions Suarez, Coutinho’s decision to quit Liverpool
- Lagos printer abducts, rapes 15-yr-old school girl he met on Facebook
- 23-year-old lady falls in love with sugar daddy, 47, says they are engaged
- Trump Pulls Out of North Korea Summit Meeting with Kim Jong-un
- What Saraki said after meeting with Buhari
- Fan Shares Her Encounter With Wizkid And Tiwa Savage In London
- #BBNaija Nina Is The Latest Brand Ambassador For Slim Girl Shape Wear
- I’m Privileged To Sleep In The Same Prison Bed Used By Obasanjo – Jonah Jang
- UN speaks on Buhari’s fight against corruption
- Ivanka Trump slams Serena Williams seeding snub at French Open
- Buhari breaks fast with National Assembly leadership in Aso Rock
- Morgan Freeman apologizes after sexual harassment claims