Chelsea ended an underwhelming season on a high note as Eden Hazard sunk Manchester United 1-0 in the FA Cup final.Eden Hazard inspired Chelsea to a 1-0 victory over Manchester United in the FA Cup final at Wembley on Saturday.
The 27-year-old forward fuelled speculation over his future this week by stating he will wait and see how Chelsea’s close-season transfer policy develops before committing to a new contract at Stamford Bridge.
But he was all business at England’s national stadium as he turned the first half into an ordeal for Phil Jones – the United defender whose clumsy foul meant Hazard won and converted a 22nd-minute penalty.
United improved upon a tepid showing after the break and Alexis Sanchez had a goal ruled out for offside, but even the late introduction of Romelu Lukaku on his return from an ankle injury could not force an equaliser.
It meant a sweet victory for Antonio Conte over his rival Jose Mourinho on what could prove his farewell outing as Chelsea coach, with the FA Cup a notable consolation after their Premier League title defence slumped to a fifth-place finish.
As in the semi-final win over Tottenham, David de Gea was preferred to United’s regular cup goalkeeper Sergio Romero and the Spain international was called upon in the ninth minute.
Jones gave away possession and Tiemoue Bakayoko set Hazard running at the backpedalling England defender, who he skipped past and forced De Gea to save with his right boot at the near post.
Bakayoko and Sanchez had half-hearted penalty appeals turned down but there was little doubt for referee Michael Oliver when he later pointed to the United spot.
An utterly hapless start to the game continued for Jones, who blundered through Hazard as the Belgium star darted around him after bringing Cesc Fabregas’ lofted pass under his spell.
Conte was furious on the touchline after Jones was only yellow carded – in line with the International Football Association Board update brought in from last season – but Hazard was a picture of calmness as he stroked home, sending De Gea the wrong way.
Jones had a chance to make amends but headed wide at the far post from Ashley Young’s left-wing cross, with United belatedly arriving as an attacking force in the closing minutes of the half.
Antonio Rudiger blocked well from Marcus Rashford after Paul Pogba drove a counter-attack in stoppage time.
Mourinho’s side enjoyed their first sustained spell of pressure early in the second half, with Ander Herrera liberated from attempting to shackle Hazard and lending greater impetus to United’s midfield play.
Thibaut Courtois beat away a drive from Rashford and Pogba saw a deflected 57th-minute shot loop behind, before Nemanja Matic scuffed wide wastefully against his former club.
The pressure looked to have told in the 63rd minute but Sanchez was fractionally offside – a decision confirmed by VAR – when he prodded in after Courtois denied Jones.
Chelsea attacks had become a rarity by the time N’Golo Kante marauded forward and played in Marcos Alonso. The wing-back was denied by his countryman De Gea and Young escaped penalty claims for handball as Chelsea followed up.
Courtois denied Rashford one against one before the England forward made way for Lukaku, and Mourinho would no doubt have preferred a glorious 82nd-minute headed chance fell to the Belgian as opposed to Pogba.
United’s record signing was unmarked but directed substitute Anthony Martial’s corner wide, condemning his boss to a trophyless campaign.
Latest Nigeria News
- Luke Shaw signs new five-year deal with Manchester United
- Labour And Kogi Elders Vow To Resist Proposed Sale Of Ajaokuta Steel Company
- The Causes Of Bed-wetting Among Adults – Nigerian Doctor Speaks Out
- This Is Lagos, A City Swimming In Filth (See Photos)
- We are taking steps to secure Fayose’s release – Ozekhome
- Veteran Yoruba actor, Ajimajasan, is dead
- Great Shock As Top Nollywood Actor Passes Away (Photo)
- Atiku Speaks On Online Grant Scheme That Allegedly Disburses Money To Nigerians
- So painful:Ogun Corper Dies Of Kidney Ailment Just A Day Before Passing Out Parade
- 3 NFF Staff In Serious Trouble Over $9.5m FIFA Grant
- Angry Muslim Youths Protest Governor Fayemi’s Appointments Ekiti
- Barcelona Midfielder, Vidal Fined 800,000 Euros For Doing This At A Nightclub
- Men Suspected To Have Murdered Army General Handed Over To Police (Photo)
- Big Brother Star, Beverly Osun Shares Fresh Raunchy Photos Online
- So Sad! Corpses Recovered After Bus Plunged Into A River In Ahaoda (Photos)
- Honeymoon: Bride Who Looked Sad On Wedding Day, Happily Kisses Hubb
- Gospel Artiste, Tim Godfrey Under Fire For Changing His Hair Colour (Photo)
- EFCC Discovers Several Properties Belonging To Fayose Allegedly Bought With Missing N1.3billion (Photos)
- Operator Of Popular Ponzi Scheme Caught Trying To Flee The Country Over N1billion Fraud
- PDP Vice Presidential Candidate, Peter Obi Speaks On His Houses In London
- Popular APC Chieftain Assassinated In Ekiti (Photo)
- Trump plans US exit from international postal treaty
- Tiger Woods blames fatigue for Ryder Cup flop
- Liverpool’s Mane has surgery on hand injury
- NAFDAC Bans The Importation, Sale And Distribution Of Malco Vitamin B Complex Injection
- BBNaija’s Ifu Ennada Wins Lagos Beauty Summit Award
- Now is the time for Brexit deal – Theresa May tells EU
- Minimum wage: Organised labour holds crucial meeting
- West Ham suspend coach
- Mayweather to fight mixed martial arts star Khabib
- I hope you rot in hell – mother tells her late son accidentally killed by hunter
- Lady Shares Her Robbery Experience In Lagos Traffic (Photos)
- 100-Year-Old Woman In A Wheelchair Gets Married To 74-Year-Old Man (Photos)
- Henceforth, No Work, No Pay Principle To Apply During Strike – FG Announces
- Legal Tussle: Innoson’s Lawyer Attacked By Assassins, Shot 3 Times (Photos)
- Don’t embarrass me over sitting arrangement – Akpabio tells Saraki
- Policemen Save Uber Driver From Losing His Car To Armed Robbers In Lekki
- Resign Honourably Or Be Forced Out Of Office – Akpabio Threatens Saraki
- Human Skulls, Bones, Skulls & More: Police Parade Suspected Ritualists In Kwara (Photo)
- Tragic! Woman Killed On The Spot After Being Hit By Tipper (Graphic Photo)