Notorious kidnap kingpin, Evans, who is currently facing charges for series of murder, robbery and kidnapping, was arraigned by the Police today and asked the court for the unbelievable.
While speaking at a Lagos High Court sitting in Igbosere on Friday suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, a.k.a Evans, asked the court to quash all the five criminal charges filed against him by Lagos State Government.
According to The Nation, Evans told Justice Adedayo Akintoye that his trial was an abuse of court processes because similar charges had been filed against him by the state at the Ikeja Division of the court.
He added that the law requires that all the cases must be consolidated and brought before one judge.
His trial before Justice Akintoye is the fourth and fifth in a series of murder, attempted murder and kidnap charges brought against him by the state since his arrest in his Magodo, Lagos home, on June 10 last year. But only two charges are before Justice Akintoye.
Three multiple-count charges are before Justices Hakeem Oshodi and Oluwatoyin Taiwo of Ikeja Division of the court.
In the case before Justice Akintoye, Evans and three others are facing a fresh five-count charge of conspiracy to kidnap, kidnapping and attempted murder. His co-defendants are – Joseph Emeka, Ugochukwu Nwachukwu and Victor Aduba.
In the second charge, Evans, Joseph Emeka, Linus Okpara and Victor Aduba are facing similar counts.
At the resumed hearing of the case on Friday, Evans’ counsel, Mr. Olukoya Ogungbeje, argued that all the charges were “grossly defective, repetitive and abuse of court processes.”
Ogungbeje said: “Apart from the counts being of same offence, same section of the law (Section 153 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law (ACJL) is being provided in these charges.
“I submit that the prosecution misfired by bringing different charges and instituting the same case in different courts.
“I urge Your Lordship to quash the charges because they are defective and abuse of court process.”
But Director for Public Prosecutions (DPP), Ms Titilayo Shitta-Bey, opposed him. She said: “The general rule is that every offence must be in a separate count.”
Shitta-Bey said the first defendant was charged with attempt to murder Chief James Udoji in count three, while in count four, he was charged with attempt to murder Mr. Donald Nwonye.
“It will be against the provisions of the law to lump the two offences in one count,” she added.
Latest Nigeria News
- Luke Shaw signs new five-year deal with Manchester United
- Labour And Kogi Elders Vow To Resist Proposed Sale Of Ajaokuta Steel Company
- The Causes Of Bed-wetting Among Adults – Nigerian Doctor Speaks Out
- This Is Lagos, A City Swimming In Filth (See Photos)
- We are taking steps to secure Fayose’s release – Ozekhome
- Veteran Yoruba actor, Ajimajasan, is dead
- Great Shock As Top Nollywood Actor Passes Away (Photo)
- Atiku Speaks On Online Grant Scheme That Allegedly Disburses Money To Nigerians
- So painful:Ogun Corper Dies Of Kidney Ailment Just A Day Before Passing Out Parade
- 3 NFF Staff In Serious Trouble Over $9.5m FIFA Grant
- Angry Muslim Youths Protest Governor Fayemi’s Appointments Ekiti
- Barcelona Midfielder, Vidal Fined 800,000 Euros For Doing This At A Nightclub
- Men Suspected To Have Murdered Army General Handed Over To Police (Photo)
- Big Brother Star, Beverly Osun Shares Fresh Raunchy Photos Online
- So Sad! Corpses Recovered After Bus Plunged Into A River In Ahaoda (Photos)
- Honeymoon: Bride Who Looked Sad On Wedding Day, Happily Kisses Hubb
- Gospel Artiste, Tim Godfrey Under Fire For Changing His Hair Colour (Photo)
- EFCC Discovers Several Properties Belonging To Fayose Allegedly Bought With Missing N1.3billion (Photos)
- Operator Of Popular Ponzi Scheme Caught Trying To Flee The Country Over N1billion Fraud
- PDP Vice Presidential Candidate, Peter Obi Speaks On His Houses In London
- Popular APC Chieftain Assassinated In Ekiti (Photo)
- Trump plans US exit from international postal treaty
- Tiger Woods blames fatigue for Ryder Cup flop
- Liverpool’s Mane has surgery on hand injury
- NAFDAC Bans The Importation, Sale And Distribution Of Malco Vitamin B Complex Injection
- BBNaija’s Ifu Ennada Wins Lagos Beauty Summit Award
- Now is the time for Brexit deal – Theresa May tells EU
- Minimum wage: Organised labour holds crucial meeting
- West Ham suspend coach
- Mayweather to fight mixed martial arts star Khabib
- I hope you rot in hell – mother tells her late son accidentally killed by hunter
- Lady Shares Her Robbery Experience In Lagos Traffic (Photos)
- 100-Year-Old Woman In A Wheelchair Gets Married To 74-Year-Old Man (Photos)
- Henceforth, No Work, No Pay Principle To Apply During Strike – FG Announces
- Legal Tussle: Innoson’s Lawyer Attacked By Assassins, Shot 3 Times (Photos)
- Don’t embarrass me over sitting arrangement – Akpabio tells Saraki
- Policemen Save Uber Driver From Losing His Car To Armed Robbers In Lekki
- Resign Honourably Or Be Forced Out Of Office – Akpabio Threatens Saraki
- Human Skulls, Bones, Skulls & More: Police Parade Suspected Ritualists In Kwara (Photo)
- Tragic! Woman Killed On The Spot After Being Hit By Tipper (Graphic Photo)