Notorious kidnap kingpin, Evans, who is currently facing charges for series of murder, robbery and kidnapping, was arraigned by the Police today and asked the court for the unbelievable.
While speaking at a Lagos High Court sitting in Igbosere on Friday suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, a.k.a Evans, asked the court to quash all the five criminal charges filed against him by Lagos State Government.
According to The Nation, Evans told Justice Adedayo Akintoye that his trial was an abuse of court processes because similar charges had been filed against him by the state at the Ikeja Division of the court.
He added that the law requires that all the cases must be consolidated and brought before one judge.
His trial before Justice Akintoye is the fourth and fifth in a series of murder, attempted murder and kidnap charges brought against him by the state since his arrest in his Magodo, Lagos home, on June 10 last year. But only two charges are before Justice Akintoye.
Three multiple-count charges are before Justices Hakeem Oshodi and Oluwatoyin Taiwo of Ikeja Division of the court.
In the case before Justice Akintoye, Evans and three others are facing a fresh five-count charge of conspiracy to kidnap, kidnapping and attempted murder. His co-defendants are – Joseph Emeka, Ugochukwu Nwachukwu and Victor Aduba.
In the second charge, Evans, Joseph Emeka, Linus Okpara and Victor Aduba are facing similar counts.
At the resumed hearing of the case on Friday, Evans’ counsel, Mr. Olukoya Ogungbeje, argued that all the charges were “grossly defective, repetitive and abuse of court processes.”
Ogungbeje said: “Apart from the counts being of same offence, same section of the law (Section 153 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law (ACJL) is being provided in these charges.
“I submit that the prosecution misfired by bringing different charges and instituting the same case in different courts.
“I urge Your Lordship to quash the charges because they are defective and abuse of court process.”
But Director for Public Prosecutions (DPP), Ms Titilayo Shitta-Bey, opposed him. She said: “The general rule is that every offence must be in a separate count.”
Shitta-Bey said the first defendant was charged with attempt to murder Chief James Udoji in count three, while in count four, he was charged with attempt to murder Mr. Donald Nwonye.
“It will be against the provisions of the law to lump the two offences in one count,” she added.
Latest Nigeria News
- #WorldCup 2018: What Super Eagles’ fans are saying after Argentina’s 3-0 loss to Croatia
- Ebonyi Rejects FG’s Proposed Cattle Ranching
- 7 Natural Remedies To Prevent Kidney Stones
- Beggar Caught Hiding N9.8 million In His Artificial Leg
- Atiku Reveals His Best Performing Governor
- Just 1-year After Their Wedding, Obasanjo’s Son Drags Wife To Court… Find Out Why (Photos)
- #Worldcup 2018: Aguero Reacts After Croatia Thrashed Argentina 3 – 0 In Russia
- Pastor Offers Prayer Warrior N4m To Abduct Boy For Ritual
- Notorious Nigerian Cultist, ‘Nothing Dey Happen’ Arrested With A Gun In Italy (Photos)
- #WorldCup 2018: Argentina Were Crying Like Girls – Croatia defender Sime Vrsaljko
- El Zakzaky: Shi’ites reportedly stone policeman to death in Kaduna
- Singer Simi Stuns Fans With ‘Tomboy Pose’ In Ripped Jeans (Photos)
- #WorldCup 2018: C.Ronaldo Tells Story Behind New ‘Goatee’ Goal Celebration After Scoring
- Photo Of Catholic Priest And His Muslim Mother Goes Viral
- #WorldCup 2018: Croatia thrash Argentina 3-0
- Nigeria vs Iceland: I’m ready to sacrifice my position, Mikel Obi vows
- #WorldCup 2018: Sergio Ramos Fires Back At Maradona, Says Messi Is Argentina’s All Time Best
- #WorldCup 2018: Meet The Player Who Is Not Allowed To Drink The Same Water With Teammates (Photos)
- Man United Sign Brazilian ‘Wonder Player’ For $70m
- Coach Chukwu Reveals How Nigeria Can Beat Iceland
- Ronaldo Is Like Vintage Wine, He’s Always Evolving – Portugal Coach Heap Praises On CR7
- ????Woman delivers cat during deliverance service in Delta Church (Photos)
- #WorldCup 2018: Jose Mourinho warns Argentina about one special quality Croatia team posses
- Why I play football with so much anger – Lukaku
- House Of Reps Justifies N578billion Hike In 2018 Budget
- What Happened Today At El-Zakzaky’s Trial In Kaduna
- #WorldCup 2018: Nigerian Caught After Entering Finland Illegally From Russia
- #WorldCup 2018: Rohr replies Mourinho on Mikel’s playing position comment
- OAU Sacks Professor Over Sex For Mark Scandal
- President Buhari Finally Signs 2018 Budget (See Details)
- Between Davido’s Chioma & a Disgruntled Follower Who Rubbished Her Delicacy (Photo)
- OMG:Man And His Wife Exposed After Offering Newborn Baby For Sale At N750,000 In Delta
- Horror: Police Officers, Several Others Injured As Police, Shi’ites Clash Heavily In Kaduna
- #WorldCup 2018: Super Eagles rated third worst team
- Obama condemns Trump immigration policy
- #WorldCup 2018: Suarez’s goal takes Uruguay into second round as Saudi Arabia crashes out
- ‘Charity begins at home’ – Daddy Freeze attacks Pastor Adeboye’s son
- ????How This FRSC Official Embarrassed Himself After A Motorist Refused To Stop (Photos)
- Video Of XXXTENTACION Immediately After He Was Shot By Armed Robbers
- ????I Beat My Wife, Yet We Are Besties” – Pastor Advises Women Not To Leave Home Over Domestic Violence