President Trump believes the proposed meeting with Chairman Kim in Singapore could still hold on the fixed date.
U.S. President Donald Trump said that the much anticipated meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un could still go ahead on June 12.
Trump told reporters at the White House: “We’re going to see what happens. It could even be the 12th” , referring to the original date set for the meeting in Singapore.
“We’re talking to them now. They very much want to do it. We’d like to do it. We’ll see what happens.”
In a tweet later, the president welcomed North Korea’s latest statement on the talks as “very good news,” following Trump’s announcement on Thursday cancelling the meeting.
Trump, also tweeted: “Very good news to receive the warm and productive statement from North Korea. We will soon see where it will lead, hopefully to long and enduring prosperity and peace. Only time (and talent) will tell!”
Trump had cancelled the planned summit with Kim, citing the “tremendous anger and open hostility” in a recent statement from North Korea.
It came on a day that North Korea dismantled its nuclear bomb testing site, in the presence of some invited journalists
Trump said in a letter to Kim released on Thursday by the White House that based on the statement, he felt it was “inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting.”
The president said the North Koreans talk about their nuclear capabilities, “but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”
In a statement released by North Korean media on Thursday, Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui had called U.S. Vice President Mike Pence a “political dummy” for comparing North Korea – a “nuclear weapons state” – to Libya, where Gaddafi gave up his unfinished nuclear development programme, only to be later killed by NATO-backed fighters.
“It is to be underlined, however, that in order not to follow in Libya’s footstep, we paid a heavy price to build up our powerful and reliable strength that can defend ourselves and safeguard peace and security in the Korean peninsula and the region.
“We will neither beg the U.S. for dialogue nor take the trouble to persuade them if they do not want to sit together with us,” Choe said.
However, a top North Korean official issued a statement on Friday, expressing the regime’s “willingness” to sit down for a summit with the U.S. administration.
“We express our willingness to sit down face-to-face with the U.S. and resolve issues anytime and in any format,” North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan said.
“Our commitment to doing our best for the sake of peace and stability for the world and the Korean Peninsula remains unchanged, and we are open-minded in giving time and opportunity to the U.S.,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ex-Super Eagles Goalkeeper, Idah Peterside Welcomes Baby After 10 Years Of Marriage (Photos)
- PDP Reacts To Sad Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800 Music House
- Oyo Commissioner Speaks On Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio Station,
- Atiku And Ben Bruce React To Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House
- Woman stabs husband dead for keeping girlfriends
- CBN don kill us, Senate don fail us! – DG of DMO, Patience Oniha
- Akwa Ibom Sues EFCC, three others for N50bn over Freezing of Account
- Uncertainty over Automatic Ticket Made Saraki, Tambuwal to Leave APC – Tinubu
- Even rats in the kitchen knows Buhari has flopped! – Angry Nigerians blast Buhari after crowd was rented to welcome him
- Baby with brain tumour miraculously recovers after Pope Francis kissed her
- Ndidi signs new six-year deal with Leicester
- Third Mainland Bridge to be temporarily shut for four days — LASG
- Nothing is too little, says retired judge, mobilises funds for rebuilding of Ayefele’s Fresh FM building
- EPL: Aguero hits hat-trick as City triumph
- EPL: Brighton stun Man United
- Beautiful New Photos Of Banky W & Wife, Adesua Etomi
- Yinka Ayefele Laments On Facebook Over Demolition Of N800m Music House
- Why Gov. Ajimobi Demolished Musician Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House In Ibadan
- Tiwa Savage Finally Breaks Silence Over Allegations Of Romantic Relationship With Wizkid
- I Can Dump Acting For Marriage – Actress Nkechi Sunday
- PDP Writes Saraki, Demands Akpabio’s Recall
- BREAKING: Oyo State Gov. demolishes Yinka Ayefele’s Music House
- Why Duncan Mighty prostrated himself for Davido – Manager
- FINALLY! Davido Admits Private Jet Belongs To His Dad After He Was Busted
- I Can’t Get Justice From ICPC; They Think I’m Psychotic – OAU Sex-For-Mark Lady, Monica Osagie
- I Am Not Plotting To Marry Churchill, Ignore The Rumours – Rosy Meurer
- Messi, Coutinho see Barcelona past Alaves
- Osinbajo signs three bills into law
- I have resumed, Buhari writes National Assembly
- INEC suspends Rivers by-election over violence
- President Putin dances at Austrian foreign minister’s wedding (Photo)
- Tight security as Cristiano Ronaldo makes Serie A debut
- Super Eagles Striker Emenike Threatens Reekado Banks… See why
- BREAKING: Buhari returns from London
- Mbappe scores in first match for PSG after World Cup
- Chelsea v Arsenal: Alonso on target to settle five-goal Arsenal thriller
- US Singer Commits Suicide After Prolonged Battle With Mental Illness
- BUSINESS IDEA: Snake Rearing, A Profitable Venture
- Beauty Contestant Dies During Photo Shoot At Beach
- Yinka Ayefele Speaks On Demolition Of His N800 Million Music House