President Trump believes the proposed meeting with Chairman Kim in Singapore could still hold on the fixed date.
U.S. President Donald Trump said that the much anticipated meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un could still go ahead on June 12.
Trump told reporters at the White House: “We’re going to see what happens. It could even be the 12th” , referring to the original date set for the meeting in Singapore.
“We’re talking to them now. They very much want to do it. We’d like to do it. We’ll see what happens.”
In a tweet later, the president welcomed North Korea’s latest statement on the talks as “very good news,” following Trump’s announcement on Thursday cancelling the meeting.
Trump, also tweeted: “Very good news to receive the warm and productive statement from North Korea. We will soon see where it will lead, hopefully to long and enduring prosperity and peace. Only time (and talent) will tell!”
Trump had cancelled the planned summit with Kim, citing the “tremendous anger and open hostility” in a recent statement from North Korea.
It came on a day that North Korea dismantled its nuclear bomb testing site, in the presence of some invited journalists
Trump said in a letter to Kim released on Thursday by the White House that based on the statement, he felt it was “inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting.”
The president said the North Koreans talk about their nuclear capabilities, “but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”
In a statement released by North Korean media on Thursday, Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui had called U.S. Vice President Mike Pence a “political dummy” for comparing North Korea – a “nuclear weapons state” – to Libya, where Gaddafi gave up his unfinished nuclear development programme, only to be later killed by NATO-backed fighters.
“It is to be underlined, however, that in order not to follow in Libya’s footstep, we paid a heavy price to build up our powerful and reliable strength that can defend ourselves and safeguard peace and security in the Korean peninsula and the region.
“We will neither beg the U.S. for dialogue nor take the trouble to persuade them if they do not want to sit together with us,” Choe said.
However, a top North Korean official issued a statement on Friday, expressing the regime’s “willingness” to sit down for a summit with the U.S. administration.
“We express our willingness to sit down face-to-face with the U.S. and resolve issues anytime and in any format,” North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan said.
“Our commitment to doing our best for the sake of peace and stability for the world and the Korean Peninsula remains unchanged, and we are open-minded in giving time and opportunity to the U.S.,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- #WorldCup 2018: What Super Eagles’ fans are saying after Argentina’s 3-0 loss to Croatia
- Ebonyi Rejects FG’s Proposed Cattle Ranching
- 7 Natural Remedies To Prevent Kidney Stones
- Beggar Caught Hiding N9.8 million In His Artificial Leg
- Atiku Reveals His Best Performing Governor
- Just 1-year After Their Wedding, Obasanjo’s Son Drags Wife To Court… Find Out Why (Photos)
- #Worldcup 2018: Aguero Reacts After Croatia Thrashed Argentina 3 – 0 In Russia
- Pastor Offers Prayer Warrior N4m To Abduct Boy For Ritual
- Notorious Nigerian Cultist, ‘Nothing Dey Happen’ Arrested With A Gun In Italy (Photos)
- #WorldCup 2018: Argentina Were Crying Like Girls – Croatia defender Sime Vrsaljko
- El Zakzaky: Shi’ites reportedly stone policeman to death in Kaduna
- Singer Simi Stuns Fans With ‘Tomboy Pose’ In Ripped Jeans (Photos)
- #WorldCup 2018: C.Ronaldo Tells Story Behind New ‘Goatee’ Goal Celebration After Scoring
- Photo Of Catholic Priest And His Muslim Mother Goes Viral
- #WorldCup 2018: Croatia thrash Argentina 3-0
- Nigeria vs Iceland: I’m ready to sacrifice my position, Mikel Obi vows
- #WorldCup 2018: Sergio Ramos Fires Back At Maradona, Says Messi Is Argentina’s All Time Best
- #WorldCup 2018: Meet The Player Who Is Not Allowed To Drink The Same Water With Teammates (Photos)
- Man United Sign Brazilian ‘Wonder Player’ For $70m
- Coach Chukwu Reveals How Nigeria Can Beat Iceland
- Ronaldo Is Like Vintage Wine, He’s Always Evolving – Portugal Coach Heap Praises On CR7
- ????Woman delivers cat during deliverance service in Delta Church (Photos)
- #WorldCup 2018: Jose Mourinho warns Argentina about one special quality Croatia team posses
- Why I play football with so much anger – Lukaku
- House Of Reps Justifies N578billion Hike In 2018 Budget
- What Happened Today At El-Zakzaky’s Trial In Kaduna
- #WorldCup 2018: Nigerian Caught After Entering Finland Illegally From Russia
- #WorldCup 2018: Rohr replies Mourinho on Mikel’s playing position comment
- OAU Sacks Professor Over Sex For Mark Scandal
- President Buhari Finally Signs 2018 Budget (See Details)
- Between Davido’s Chioma & a Disgruntled Follower Who Rubbished Her Delicacy (Photo)
- OMG:Man And His Wife Exposed After Offering Newborn Baby For Sale At N750,000 In Delta
- Horror: Police Officers, Several Others Injured As Police, Shi’ites Clash Heavily In Kaduna
- #WorldCup 2018: Super Eagles rated third worst team
- Obama condemns Trump immigration policy
- #WorldCup 2018: Suarez’s goal takes Uruguay into second round as Saudi Arabia crashes out
- ‘Charity begins at home’ – Daddy Freeze attacks Pastor Adeboye’s son
- ????How This FRSC Official Embarrassed Himself After A Motorist Refused To Stop (Photos)
- Video Of XXXTENTACION Immediately After He Was Shot By Armed Robbers
- ????I Beat My Wife, Yet We Are Besties” – Pastor Advises Women Not To Leave Home Over Domestic Violence