The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has disowned a recent gloating tweet that announced the imminent revival of a criminal case against outgoing Governor of Ekiti , Ayo Fayose .
In a statement on Monday night , spokesman of the commission , Mr Wilson Uwujaren , said the “ purported tweet does not represent the views of the EFCC ” .
The tweet, which appeared on the EFCC ’ s verified Twitter handle , @ officialEFCC on Sunday afternoon , said the commission had dusted a N 1 . 3 billion fraud case file against Fayose .
It came few hours after the Independent National Electoral Commission announced the results of Saturday ’ s governorship election in Ekiti .
Fayose ’ s protege , Prof . Kolapo Olushola -Eleka of the Peoples Democratic Party , lost the election to Mr Kayode Fayemi of the All Progressives Congress .
The tweet read : “ The parri ( party) is over , the cloak of immunity torn apart , and the staff broken.
“ Ekiti Integrated Poultry Project/ Biological concepts Limited N 1 . 3 billion fraud case file dusted off the shelves . See you soon . ”
The post , accompanied with the photograph of what looks like a dilapidated poultry structure , was deleted about three hours later.
But before then it had gone viral online , eliciting criticisms from many Nigerians who interpreted it as a reflection of the commission ’ s partisanship .
Uwujaren said , “ In the opinion of most commentators , the tweet betrayed the partisanship of the EFCC in the political contest in Ekiti State .
“ Against the background , the commission is constrained to state that the purported tweet does not represent the views of the EFCC .
“ As a law enforcement organisation the commission is apolitical and was not involved in the recent Ekiti election .
“ It , therefore , has no reason to gloat over the political misfortune of any candidate or political god – father . ”
He said although there was a subsisting criminal charge against Fayose , the fate of the charge would be determined by the Federal High Court, Ado Ekiti , at the expiration of his tenure , not the EFCC .
( NAN )
Latest Nigeria News
- Ex-Super Eagles Goalkeeper, Idah Peterside Welcomes Baby After 10 Years Of Marriage (Photos)
- PDP Reacts To Sad Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800 Music House
- Oyo Commissioner Speaks On Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio Station,
- Atiku And Ben Bruce React To Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House
- Woman stabs husband dead for keeping girlfriends
- CBN don kill us, Senate don fail us! – DG of DMO, Patience Oniha
- Akwa Ibom Sues EFCC, three others for N50bn over Freezing of Account
- Uncertainty over Automatic Ticket Made Saraki, Tambuwal to Leave APC – Tinubu
- Even rats in the kitchen knows Buhari has flopped! – Angry Nigerians blast Buhari after crowd was rented to welcome him
- Baby with brain tumour miraculously recovers after Pope Francis kissed her
- Ndidi signs new six-year deal with Leicester
- Third Mainland Bridge to be temporarily shut for four days — LASG
- Nothing is too little, says retired judge, mobilises funds for rebuilding of Ayefele’s Fresh FM building
- EPL: Aguero hits hat-trick as City triumph
- EPL: Brighton stun Man United
- Beautiful New Photos Of Banky W & Wife, Adesua Etomi
- Yinka Ayefele Laments On Facebook Over Demolition Of N800m Music House
- Why Gov. Ajimobi Demolished Musician Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House In Ibadan
- Tiwa Savage Finally Breaks Silence Over Allegations Of Romantic Relationship With Wizkid
- I Can Dump Acting For Marriage – Actress Nkechi Sunday
- PDP Writes Saraki, Demands Akpabio’s Recall
- BREAKING: Oyo State Gov. demolishes Yinka Ayefele’s Music House
- Why Duncan Mighty prostrated himself for Davido – Manager
- FINALLY! Davido Admits Private Jet Belongs To His Dad After He Was Busted
- I Can’t Get Justice From ICPC; They Think I’m Psychotic – OAU Sex-For-Mark Lady, Monica Osagie
- I Am Not Plotting To Marry Churchill, Ignore The Rumours – Rosy Meurer
- Messi, Coutinho see Barcelona past Alaves
- Osinbajo signs three bills into law
- I have resumed, Buhari writes National Assembly
- INEC suspends Rivers by-election over violence
- President Putin dances at Austrian foreign minister’s wedding (Photo)
- Tight security as Cristiano Ronaldo makes Serie A debut
- Super Eagles Striker Emenike Threatens Reekado Banks… See why
- BREAKING: Buhari returns from London
- Mbappe scores in first match for PSG after World Cup
- Chelsea v Arsenal: Alonso on target to settle five-goal Arsenal thriller
- US Singer Commits Suicide After Prolonged Battle With Mental Illness
- BUSINESS IDEA: Snake Rearing, A Profitable Venture
- Beauty Contestant Dies During Photo Shoot At Beach
- Yinka Ayefele Speaks On Demolition Of His N800 Million Music House