The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has disowned a recent gloating tweet that announced the imminent revival of a criminal case against outgoing Governor of Ekiti , Ayo Fayose .
In a statement on Monday night , spokesman of the commission , Mr Wilson Uwujaren , said the “ purported tweet does not represent the views of the EFCC ” .
The tweet, which appeared on the EFCC ’ s verified Twitter handle , @ officialEFCC on Sunday afternoon , said the commission had dusted a N 1 . 3 billion fraud case file against Fayose .
It came few hours after the Independent National Electoral Commission announced the results of Saturday ’ s governorship election in Ekiti .
Fayose ’ s protege , Prof . Kolapo Olushola -Eleka of the Peoples Democratic Party , lost the election to Mr Kayode Fayemi of the All Progressives Congress .
The tweet read : “ The parri ( party) is over , the cloak of immunity torn apart , and the staff broken.
“ Ekiti Integrated Poultry Project/ Biological concepts Limited N 1 . 3 billion fraud case file dusted off the shelves . See you soon . ”
The post , accompanied with the photograph of what looks like a dilapidated poultry structure , was deleted about three hours later.
But before then it had gone viral online , eliciting criticisms from many Nigerians who interpreted it as a reflection of the commission ’ s partisanship .
Uwujaren said , “ In the opinion of most commentators , the tweet betrayed the partisanship of the EFCC in the political contest in Ekiti State .
“ Against the background , the commission is constrained to state that the purported tweet does not represent the views of the EFCC .
“ As a law enforcement organisation the commission is apolitical and was not involved in the recent Ekiti election .
“ It , therefore , has no reason to gloat over the political misfortune of any candidate or political god – father . ”
He said although there was a subsisting criminal charge against Fayose , the fate of the charge would be determined by the Federal High Court, Ado Ekiti , at the expiration of his tenure , not the EFCC .
( NAN )
Latest Nigeria News
- Luke Shaw signs new five-year deal with Manchester United
- Labour And Kogi Elders Vow To Resist Proposed Sale Of Ajaokuta Steel Company
- The Causes Of Bed-wetting Among Adults – Nigerian Doctor Speaks Out
- This Is Lagos, A City Swimming In Filth (See Photos)
- We are taking steps to secure Fayose’s release – Ozekhome
- Veteran Yoruba actor, Ajimajasan, is dead
- Great Shock As Top Nollywood Actor Passes Away (Photo)
- Atiku Speaks On Online Grant Scheme That Allegedly Disburses Money To Nigerians
- So painful:Ogun Corper Dies Of Kidney Ailment Just A Day Before Passing Out Parade
- 3 NFF Staff In Serious Trouble Over $9.5m FIFA Grant
- Angry Muslim Youths Protest Governor Fayemi’s Appointments Ekiti
- Barcelona Midfielder, Vidal Fined 800,000 Euros For Doing This At A Nightclub
- Men Suspected To Have Murdered Army General Handed Over To Police (Photo)
- Big Brother Star, Beverly Osun Shares Fresh Raunchy Photos Online
- So Sad! Corpses Recovered After Bus Plunged Into A River In Ahaoda (Photos)
- Honeymoon: Bride Who Looked Sad On Wedding Day, Happily Kisses Hubb
- Gospel Artiste, Tim Godfrey Under Fire For Changing His Hair Colour (Photo)
- EFCC Discovers Several Properties Belonging To Fayose Allegedly Bought With Missing N1.3billion (Photos)
- Operator Of Popular Ponzi Scheme Caught Trying To Flee The Country Over N1billion Fraud
- PDP Vice Presidential Candidate, Peter Obi Speaks On His Houses In London
- Popular APC Chieftain Assassinated In Ekiti (Photo)
- Trump plans US exit from international postal treaty
- Tiger Woods blames fatigue for Ryder Cup flop
- Liverpool’s Mane has surgery on hand injury
- NAFDAC Bans The Importation, Sale And Distribution Of Malco Vitamin B Complex Injection
- BBNaija’s Ifu Ennada Wins Lagos Beauty Summit Award
- Now is the time for Brexit deal – Theresa May tells EU
- Minimum wage: Organised labour holds crucial meeting
- West Ham suspend coach
- Mayweather to fight mixed martial arts star Khabib
- I hope you rot in hell – mother tells her late son accidentally killed by hunter
- Lady Shares Her Robbery Experience In Lagos Traffic (Photos)
- 100-Year-Old Woman In A Wheelchair Gets Married To 74-Year-Old Man (Photos)
- Henceforth, No Work, No Pay Principle To Apply During Strike – FG Announces
- Legal Tussle: Innoson’s Lawyer Attacked By Assassins, Shot 3 Times (Photos)
- Don’t embarrass me over sitting arrangement – Akpabio tells Saraki
- Policemen Save Uber Driver From Losing His Car To Armed Robbers In Lekki
- Resign Honourably Or Be Forced Out Of Office – Akpabio Threatens Saraki
- Human Skulls, Bones, Skulls & More: Police Parade Suspected Ritualists In Kwara (Photo)
- Tragic! Woman Killed On The Spot After Being Hit By Tipper (Graphic Photo)