The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has disowned a recent gloating tweet that announced the imminent revival of a criminal case against outgoing Governor of Ekiti , Ayo Fayose .
In a statement on Monday night , spokesman of the commission , Mr Wilson Uwujaren , said the “ purported tweet does not represent the views of the EFCC ” .
The tweet, which appeared on the EFCC ’ s verified Twitter handle , @ officialEFCC on Sunday afternoon , said the commission had dusted a N 1 . 3 billion fraud case file against Fayose .
It came few hours after the Independent National Electoral Commission announced the results of Saturday ’ s governorship election in Ekiti .
Fayose ’ s protege , Prof . Kolapo Olushola -Eleka of the Peoples Democratic Party , lost the election to Mr Kayode Fayemi of the All Progressives Congress .
The tweet read : “ The parri ( party) is over , the cloak of immunity torn apart , and the staff broken.
“ Ekiti Integrated Poultry Project/ Biological concepts Limited N 1 . 3 billion fraud case file dusted off the shelves . See you soon . ”
The post , accompanied with the photograph of what looks like a dilapidated poultry structure , was deleted about three hours later.
But before then it had gone viral online , eliciting criticisms from many Nigerians who interpreted it as a reflection of the commission ’ s partisanship .
Uwujaren said , “ In the opinion of most commentators , the tweet betrayed the partisanship of the EFCC in the political contest in Ekiti State .
“ Against the background , the commission is constrained to state that the purported tweet does not represent the views of the EFCC .
“ As a law enforcement organisation the commission is apolitical and was not involved in the recent Ekiti election .
“ It , therefore , has no reason to gloat over the political misfortune of any candidate or political god – father . ”
He said although there was a subsisting criminal charge against Fayose , the fate of the charge would be determined by the Federal High Court, Ado Ekiti , at the expiration of his tenure , not the EFCC .
( NAN )
Latest Nigeria News
- Mom and daughter reunited after 2-year separation
- FG panel probes David Mark’s offshore assets
- Nigeria’s first gold refinery to be completed June 2019
- I’m glad Senate didn’t confirm me – EFCC boss, Magu
- Afenifere, Ohanaeze back 71 Reps’ bill seeking parliamentary govt
- Kanye West Demands Apology from Drake for ‘Sneak Diss’ and Gets This
- Okorocha presents budget of N276bn for 2019
- BREAKING: SDP scribe, Gabam, becomes Duke’s presidential running mate
- Sowore to sue Channels TV boss for excluding him from debate
- Checkout The Awesome Official Wedding Photos Of Nollywood Actor, Frankincense And His Wife
- Female NYSC Corps Member Reportedly Dies Of Typhoid
- Graphic Photos Of Swiss Park Hotel Manager Shot Dead By Gunmen In Anambra
- I Stabbed Her All Over Untill She Died – Man Confesses As Court Sentences Him To Death In Plateau
- Nigerian Football Legend, Kanu Nwankwo Spotted With Brazilian Legend, Ronaldinho (Photos)
- Maradona’s new girlfriend kicks him out of home he bought for her
- 2018 Soundcity MVP awards: Davido, Tiwa Savage, Yemi Alade, others top nomination list
- Mourinho orders Man United players to train on Christmas Day
- BREAKING: APC postpones governorship campaign in Kwara, cites insecurity
- We didn’t endorse Buhari for second term – CAN
- APC, PDP Reps clash over unsigned electoral bill
- Champions League: Mourinho says ‘nothing’ surprised him about Valencia defeat
- Shame To Stingy People – Father Mbaka Attacks Peter Obi Again Despite Apology
- JUST IN: He Is Back From ISRAEL! The Crowd Is Massive
- Sex in car is criminal, Lagos Police counters Abayomi Shogunle
- UK parliament upholds vote of confidence in Theresa May
- UCL: Scoreline flatters Man Utd in Valencia defeat
- Heartbreaking: Serving NYSC Member Dies While Traveling To His PPA In Kano (Photos)
- FG Forcing PDP Governors To A Secret Deal – Uche Secondus Raises Alarm
- How I Wanted Breast Implants, Plastic Surgery – Nwankwo Kanu’s Wife Opens Up
- JUST IN: Theresa May tells party she plans to quit before 2022 election
- Agbaje is my ‘egbon’, I expect decency from him – Sanwo-Olu
- BREAKING: Atiku, Ezekwesili sign peace pact today
- Kim Jong Un’s step-grandmother dies
- Facebook Headquarters At Silicon Valley Evacuated Following Bomb Threat
- Famous Footballer’s Wife Breaks Down In Tears As Husband’s Team Is Eliminated From Champions League
- BREAKING : Theresa May Faces Vote Of No Confidence, May Lose Position as UK Prime Minister
- JUST IN: ASUU Strike may end on Monday (Details Inside)
- Poly lecturers (ASUP) begin nationwide strike today
- True Story Of Shamed Couple Caught Making Love In The Car Revealed (Photos)
- ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT: “Impact Of Bullets On Mbaka’s Car Is There For All To See That It Is Real”