Cristiano Ronaldo makes his eagerly -awaited Serie A debut for Juventus on Saturday amid the tightest security and excitement the Italian city of Verona has seen since a concert by Robbie Williams at Chievo ’ s Bentegodi Stadium last year .Reigning champions Juventus face Chievo in their Serie A opener at 6 : 00 pm ( 1600 GMT ) in the small northeastern Italian city famed as the setting for Shakespeare ’ s “ Romeo and Juliet ” .
Ronaldo , the 33 – year -old Portugal superstar , joined from Real Madrid last month in a deal worth 100 million euros ( $ 114 . 5 million ) .
Thousands of fans and the world ’ s media have been pouring into the town , which has a population of 262 , 000 , ahead of the first game of the season .
Anti – terrorism measures have been put in place around the stadium which has been closed off to traffic with 32 , 000 spectators expected in addition to hundreds of journalists and television crews from around the globe .
Ronaldo ’ s Serie A debut has smashed Chievo ’ s record for ticket sales , generating over one million euros .
“ New challenge , ” tweeted Ronaldo , who was Real Madrid ’ s all – time top goalscorer with 451 goals , of which 311 came in La Liga .
He will looking to add to the league and European titles he won with both Manchester United and Real Madrid .
The five – time Ballon d ’ Or winner scored in his two warm -up friendlies for Juventus but did not travel with the team to the United States .
“ It ’ s going to be an exciting season , there are many top players in Serie A and we have one of them in Cristiano Ronaldo — the best in the world , ” said Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri .
“ Players like Ronaldo are different from all the others : it shows in what he has won , he is a stimulus for everyone. ”
But Allegri warned his team not to rely too much on Ronaldo as they target an eighth straight Serie A title , and the Champions League.
“ Every year , Juventus plays to win all the trophies available , and in the past four years we have twice come close to winning all the trophies which we have competed for , and this year we ’ ll try again.
“ It ’ s my fifth year at the club , progress has been made, the quality of players has improved , as has our confidence at European level . You never know — this could be our year to win the Champions League, but first we need to get past the group stage and then we ’ ll see where we are in March . ”
“ We have to keep our feet on the ground . ”
( AFP )
Latest Nigeria News
- Ban on smartphones unconstitutional, Ekweremadu tells INEC
- UCL: Juventus victorious despite Ronaldo red card
- UCL: Cornet stars as less-fancied Lyon stun Manchester City
- UCL: Real Madrid run riot against Roma
- The moment that saw Cristiano Ronaldo see red (Video)
- 2019: Chris Giwa declares senatorial bid
- FG suspends Nigeria Air indefinitely
- Osun election: Saraki, Atiku, Secondus rally support for Adeleke
- 3 officials given life bans by FIFA for corruption
- Father threatens to throw child from window
- Drama As Fight Breaks Out In Church When Pastor Tells Woman Her Best Friend Is Behind Her Problems (Video)
- BREAKING: Police Invite Davido’s Uncle, Sen. Adeleke For Allegedly Engaging In Exam Malpractice
- Gov. Ambode Reacts To Rumours Of Stepping Down From Guber Race
- Story Of Identical Twin Sisters Who Gave Birth To Sons On The Same Day At The Same Hospital (Photos)
- US-based Nigerian Group Offers To Pay Leah Sharibu’s Ransom
- Lovely Photos Of Basketmouth And His Beautiful Wife
- Adorable Photo Of Actress Yvonne Nelson And Her Daughter
- Comedian Bovi And Wife Celebrate Their 9th Wedding Anniversary, Release Adorable Photos
- BREAKING: I Will Contest Lagos Gov Election – Jimi Agbaje Finally Confirms
- Police Speak On AAU Graduation Cult Clash That Left Many Dead
- Juventus Forward, Costa Bags Four-Match Ban After Spitting Incident
- Racism: Mesut Ozil’s agent blasts Kroos, Neuer, Muller
- Buhari does not understand governance – Saraki insists
- 2019: INEC clarifies statement on ban of smart phones around polling units
- UCL: Jurgen Klopp singles out one player that helped Liverpool beat PSG
- UCL: Griezmann, Costa combine as Atletico undo Monaco
- Oyo govt shuts Obasanjo Farms in Ibadan
- Champions League: Lionel Messi hits hat-trick as Barcelona thrash PSV 4-0
- Champions League: Firmino hands Liverpool flying Champions League start over PSG
- UCL: Sergio Ramos attacks Griezmann over Messi, Ronaldo
- How Buhari committed abomination by replacing Kemi Adesoun with El-Rufai’s stepsister – HURIWA
- President Buhari Storms Osogbo For APC Mega Rally (Photo)
- Tension As Italian Catholic Priest Is Kidnapped In Niger
- Boko Haram And The Concept Of ‘Technical Defeat’
- 2Baba’s First Son, Nino’s Lovely Birthday Message To His Dad Will Warm Your Heart
- REVEALED: Cristiano Ronaldo’s Last Speech For Real Madrid In The Champions League Final
- ‘Tomorrow Is Pregnant’ – Man Shares Throwback Photo With Ex Classmate Who Is Now A Governor
- 2019: APC Chieftain, Dahiru Yusuf Yabo Dumps Party, Defects To PDP
- I’ll Teach You How To Defeat Tinubu In Lagos, Saraki Tells Lagosians
- Emmy Awards 2018: ‘Game of Thrones’ wins best drama series