Barcelona are off the mark in their opening match of their LaLiga campaign with a comfortable 3-0 win over Alaves. The home side were frustrated in the first half by Abelardo’s men, who held their discipline at the back. However, once Lionel Messi opened the scoring with a clever free-kick, the result was a formality. Messi scored Barca’s 6,000th LaLiga goal, nine-and-a-half years removed from scoring their 5,000th. Philippe Coutinho opened his account for the term before the Argentine notched his second of the game to secure the three points.
Valverde gave us a few surprises with his starting line-up. Philippe Coutinho was left on the bench with Sergi Roberto starting in midfield. Ousmane Dembele also got the nod from the start.
Barcelona took a little bit of time to get going in the first half but started to carve out chances as half-time approached.
The closest they came was a Messi free-kick which looked destined for the top corner, until it crashed off the crossbar and rebounded to safety.
Dembele also had a good chance after he was played in, but he rushed his shot and hit it straight at goalkeeper Fernando Pacheco.
Valverde made a change at the break as he sought some extra inspiration in attack. Off went Nelson Semedo, with Roberto reverting to right-back ,and on came Coutinho.
Yet Barcelona still looked a little short in attack, until they won another free-kick on the edge of the box. This time Messi made no mistake, rolling the ball under the wall and past goalkeeper Pacheco.
A couple of minutes later he almost doubled Barcelona’s lead with a brilliant shot that clipped the outside of the post. Suarez also went close but his shot was saved by Pacheco at his near post.
Coutinho was the man to make the game safe inside the last 10 minutes. Arthur found him on the edge of the box, and he dribbled inside, beat a couple of players before lashing home.
The only thing was Messi wasn’t quite finished. He grabbed his second of the match in stoppage time, taking a pass from Luis Suarez on his chest, before turning and firing low into the bottom corner.
Latest Nigeria News
- Billionaire Businessman, Otedola Endorses Sanwo-Olu
- After I spent N400m per state, Buhari refused to give appointments – Saraki in viral audio
- 2019 election: Presidency reacts to alleged viral audio of Saraki
- Saraki reacts to viral audio on helping Buhari in 2015
- Nagging wife cannot keep husband for long
- Toyin Abraham Reportedly Breaks Off Engagement To Lawyer Fiance
- Tonto Dikeh Serves Fans With Hot Relationship Tips
- Peter Okoye of Psquare Shades His Brothers As He Celebrates His Wife On Their 5th Wedding Anniversary
- Why People Think I’m A Fraudster And Gigolo – Actor Adeleye Adeshile Opens Up
- Comedian Ali Baba Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Aggrieved party members working with opposition to defame me – Oshiomhole
- FG okays N60bn for rice subsidy
- Wow! Beautiful Actress, Regina Daniels Receives N500k Gift From E-Money, Shares Proof
- Manchester United star Paul Pogba relaxes with Messi and Davido in Dubai (Photos)
- Nnamdi Kanu vows to expose how Jubril Aminu was transformed to replace ‘dead Buhari’ in London
- Eid-el Maulud: FG declares Tuesday public holiday
- I’ll sell 90% of NNPC if elected – Atiku vows
- I need fighting spirit, says Fulham’s Ranieri
- NAFDAC, customs seize tramadol worth N193bn
- JUST IN: UPP adopts Buhari
- British poor are getting poorer –UN report
- Joke Silva And Hubby, Olu Jacobs Celebrate 33rd Wedding Anniversary With Family Photo
- Stop Dragging Equality With Your Husband – Policewoman, Dolapo Badmus Advises Feminists
- INEC Lacks Capacity To Conduct Credible Polls – Wike
- How SARS Shot Me, But Bullet Couldn’t Penetrate – ‘Fortified’ Man Narrates
- Minimum Wage: Many Govs Ready To Pay More Than N30,000 – NLC
- NECO: Postponement of examination caused by public holiday
- Jedvaj nets last-gasp winner as Croatia beat Spain to set up England showdown
- See How Much Governors Earn In Nigeria
- JUST IN: 3 Nigerian soldiers killed in Boko Haram attack on military base
- ASUU strike: Details of FG meeting with union leaders emerge
- Ed Woodward breaks silence on Manchester United’s form under Mourinho
- APC govt’s policies have created jobs – Buhari
- Mimiko dumps presidential race, opts for senate seat
- Nigeria to emerge world’s second largest rice importer in 2019 –US agency
- Minimum wage: We cannot be intimidated – Labour tells Governors
- FG, ASUU hold closed-door meeting
- BREAKING: Buhari launches unity band ahead of presidential campaign
- BREAKING: APGA suspends Anambra factional Speaker, two others
- Boko Haram: Time To Drink Cold Beer With Abubakar Shekau’s Skull