Barcelona are off the mark in their opening match of their LaLiga campaign with a comfortable 3-0 win over Alaves. The home side were frustrated in the first half by Abelardo’s men, who held their discipline at the back. However, once Lionel Messi opened the scoring with a clever free-kick, the result was a formality. Messi scored Barca’s 6,000th LaLiga goal, nine-and-a-half years removed from scoring their 5,000th. Philippe Coutinho opened his account for the term before the Argentine notched his second of the game to secure the three points.
Valverde gave us a few surprises with his starting line-up. Philippe Coutinho was left on the bench with Sergi Roberto starting in midfield. Ousmane Dembele also got the nod from the start.
Barcelona took a little bit of time to get going in the first half but started to carve out chances as half-time approached.
The closest they came was a Messi free-kick which looked destined for the top corner, until it crashed off the crossbar and rebounded to safety.
Dembele also had a good chance after he was played in, but he rushed his shot and hit it straight at goalkeeper Fernando Pacheco.
Valverde made a change at the break as he sought some extra inspiration in attack. Off went Nelson Semedo, with Roberto reverting to right-back ,and on came Coutinho.
Yet Barcelona still looked a little short in attack, until they won another free-kick on the edge of the box. This time Messi made no mistake, rolling the ball under the wall and past goalkeeper Pacheco.
A couple of minutes later he almost doubled Barcelona’s lead with a brilliant shot that clipped the outside of the post. Suarez also went close but his shot was saved by Pacheco at his near post.
Coutinho was the man to make the game safe inside the last 10 minutes. Arthur found him on the edge of the box, and he dribbled inside, beat a couple of players before lashing home.
The only thing was Messi wasn’t quite finished. He grabbed his second of the match in stoppage time, taking a pass from Luis Suarez on his chest, before turning and firing low into the bottom corner.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ban on smartphones unconstitutional, Ekweremadu tells INEC
- UCL: Juventus victorious despite Ronaldo red card
- UCL: Cornet stars as less-fancied Lyon stun Manchester City
- UCL: Real Madrid run riot against Roma
- The moment that saw Cristiano Ronaldo see red (Video)
- 2019: Chris Giwa declares senatorial bid
- FG suspends Nigeria Air indefinitely
- Osun election: Saraki, Atiku, Secondus rally support for Adeleke
- 3 officials given life bans by FIFA for corruption
- Father threatens to throw child from window
- Drama As Fight Breaks Out In Church When Pastor Tells Woman Her Best Friend Is Behind Her Problems (Video)
- BREAKING: Police Invite Davido’s Uncle, Sen. Adeleke For Allegedly Engaging In Exam Malpractice
- Gov. Ambode Reacts To Rumours Of Stepping Down From Guber Race
- Story Of Identical Twin Sisters Who Gave Birth To Sons On The Same Day At The Same Hospital (Photos)
- US-based Nigerian Group Offers To Pay Leah Sharibu’s Ransom
- Lovely Photos Of Basketmouth And His Beautiful Wife
- Adorable Photo Of Actress Yvonne Nelson And Her Daughter
- Comedian Bovi And Wife Celebrate Their 9th Wedding Anniversary, Release Adorable Photos
- BREAKING: I Will Contest Lagos Gov Election – Jimi Agbaje Finally Confirms
- Police Speak On AAU Graduation Cult Clash That Left Many Dead
- Juventus Forward, Costa Bags Four-Match Ban After Spitting Incident
- Racism: Mesut Ozil’s agent blasts Kroos, Neuer, Muller
- Buhari does not understand governance – Saraki insists
- 2019: INEC clarifies statement on ban of smart phones around polling units
- UCL: Jurgen Klopp singles out one player that helped Liverpool beat PSG
- UCL: Griezmann, Costa combine as Atletico undo Monaco
- Oyo govt shuts Obasanjo Farms in Ibadan
- Champions League: Lionel Messi hits hat-trick as Barcelona thrash PSV 4-0
- Champions League: Firmino hands Liverpool flying Champions League start over PSG
- UCL: Sergio Ramos attacks Griezmann over Messi, Ronaldo
- How Buhari committed abomination by replacing Kemi Adesoun with El-Rufai’s stepsister – HURIWA
- President Buhari Storms Osogbo For APC Mega Rally (Photo)
- Tension As Italian Catholic Priest Is Kidnapped In Niger
- Boko Haram And The Concept Of ‘Technical Defeat’
- 2Baba’s First Son, Nino’s Lovely Birthday Message To His Dad Will Warm Your Heart
- REVEALED: Cristiano Ronaldo’s Last Speech For Real Madrid In The Champions League Final
- ‘Tomorrow Is Pregnant’ – Man Shares Throwback Photo With Ex Classmate Who Is Now A Governor
- 2019: APC Chieftain, Dahiru Yusuf Yabo Dumps Party, Defects To PDP
- I’ll Teach You How To Defeat Tinubu In Lagos, Saraki Tells Lagosians
- Emmy Awards 2018: ‘Game of Thrones’ wins best drama series