Efforts are being made by the PDP to declare the seat of Akpabio at the Red Chamber vacant following his defection to the APC.
The Peoples Democratic Party in Akwa Ibom State has written the Senate demanding the immediate declaration of the seat of a senator representing Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District, Godswill Akpabio, vacant.
Akpabio was, until recently, the Senate minority leader, before he defected to the All Progressives Congress.
The Publicity Secretary of the party in the state, Mr Ini Emembong, said the party took the decision because it was not within its purview to declare the seat of a defecting senator vacant.
Emembong explained that the letter was addressed to the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, because he reserved the power to declare seats of senators vacant, as provided by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
He said, “The declaration will be done on the floor of the Senate. We have made the request through a letter. We would have been taken the matter to court, but the constitution says when such a thing happens, it is the Senate President that will declare a defector’s seat vacant.”
Efforts to speak with Akpabio for his reaction failed as calls to his mobile indicated that it was switched off.
He was also yet to respond to a text message sent to his mobile as of the time of filling this report.
Latest Nigeria News
- Billionaire Businessman, Otedola Endorses Sanwo-Olu
- After I spent N400m per state, Buhari refused to give appointments – Saraki in viral audio
- 2019 election: Presidency reacts to alleged viral audio of Saraki
- Saraki reacts to viral audio on helping Buhari in 2015
- Nagging wife cannot keep husband for long
- Toyin Abraham Reportedly Breaks Off Engagement To Lawyer Fiance
- Tonto Dikeh Serves Fans With Hot Relationship Tips
- Peter Okoye of Psquare Shades His Brothers As He Celebrates His Wife On Their 5th Wedding Anniversary
- Why People Think I’m A Fraudster And Gigolo – Actor Adeleye Adeshile Opens Up
- Comedian Ali Baba Writes Open Letter To Buhari
- Aggrieved party members working with opposition to defame me – Oshiomhole
- FG okays N60bn for rice subsidy
- Wow! Beautiful Actress, Regina Daniels Receives N500k Gift From E-Money, Shares Proof
- Manchester United star Paul Pogba relaxes with Messi and Davido in Dubai (Photos)
- Nnamdi Kanu vows to expose how Jubril Aminu was transformed to replace ‘dead Buhari’ in London
- Eid-el Maulud: FG declares Tuesday public holiday
- I’ll sell 90% of NNPC if elected – Atiku vows
- I need fighting spirit, says Fulham’s Ranieri
- NAFDAC, customs seize tramadol worth N193bn
- JUST IN: UPP adopts Buhari
- British poor are getting poorer –UN report
- Joke Silva And Hubby, Olu Jacobs Celebrate 33rd Wedding Anniversary With Family Photo
- Stop Dragging Equality With Your Husband – Policewoman, Dolapo Badmus Advises Feminists
- INEC Lacks Capacity To Conduct Credible Polls – Wike
- How SARS Shot Me, But Bullet Couldn’t Penetrate – ‘Fortified’ Man Narrates
- Minimum Wage: Many Govs Ready To Pay More Than N30,000 – NLC
- NECO: Postponement of examination caused by public holiday
- Jedvaj nets last-gasp winner as Croatia beat Spain to set up England showdown
- See How Much Governors Earn In Nigeria
- JUST IN: 3 Nigerian soldiers killed in Boko Haram attack on military base
- ASUU strike: Details of FG meeting with union leaders emerge
- Ed Woodward breaks silence on Manchester United’s form under Mourinho
- APC govt’s policies have created jobs – Buhari
- Mimiko dumps presidential race, opts for senate seat
- Nigeria to emerge world’s second largest rice importer in 2019 –US agency
- Minimum wage: We cannot be intimidated – Labour tells Governors
- FG, ASUU hold closed-door meeting
- BREAKING: Buhari launches unity band ahead of presidential campaign
- BREAKING: APGA suspends Anambra factional Speaker, two others
- Boko Haram: Time To Drink Cold Beer With Abubakar Shekau’s Skull