Manchester United lost for a third league game in a row away to Brighton and Hove Albion, going down 3-2 to Chris Hughton’s men on Sunday.
Manchester United suffered an early blow in this season’s Premier League title race as they went down 3-2 to Brighton and Hove Albion at Amex Stadium on Sunday.
First-half goals from Glenn Murray, Shane Duffy and Pascal Gross gave the hosts a third league win in a row against the Red Devils on home soil, a run that stretches back to 1982.
Romelu Lukaku got on the scoresheet for the first time this season, while Paul Pogba converted an injury-time penalty, but the victory was no more than Brighton deserved, with Jose Mourinho’s side poor throughout.
Brighton took control in the first half-hour thanks to two goals in the space of 143 seconds, with Murray clipping a delightful finish past David de Gea before Duffy swept home after United failed to clear a corner.
Lukaku, who missed a golden chance at 0-0, nodded in a lifeline for his side but more slack defending saw Eric Bailly bring down Gross, who dispatched his penalty a minute before the break.
With Alexis Sanchez missing the game through injury, Mourinho introduced Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard at half-time, but there was little improvement to their attacking display and Pogba’s finish from the spot came too late to rescue a result.
The defeat means champions Manchester City have already stolen a march on their neighbours in the title race, after they thrashed Huddersfield Town 6-1 earlier on to make it two wins from two.
Latest Nigeria News
- JUST IN: British cabinet backs draft Brexit deal
- Premier League to weigh controversial £5m gift for outgoing chairman
- I will fix Nigeria’s ailing economy – Atiku
- BREAKING: N30,000 minimum wage will lead to bankruptcy – Govs
- INT’L MEDIA OUTLETS BATTLING TO SECURE A TV CHAT WITH IPOB LEADER NNAMDI KANU
- ‘You lack common decency,’ – President Macron’s spokesman tells Trump
- N’Golo Kante turned down offshore payments from Chelsea
- Sokoto Assembly accepts Deputy Gov’s resignation
- EFCC appoints Amokeodo as Magu’s spokesperson
- We’ll probe Oshiomhole, ICPC tells anti-APC chairman protesters
- Why I chose a fellow Muslim as running mate –Gov el-Rufai
- PDP accuses Buhari, APC of plans to liquidate members’ bank accounts
- Serena Williams emerges 2018 GQ Woman of the Year
- Susanna Dinnage to replace Scudamore as Premier League chief
- We are prepared for 2019 elections – INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu
- Teleology appoints new board of directors for 9mobile
- Why 2nd Niger Bridge is delayed – Fashola
- Teenage Boy Pictured With Machete Before Stabbing Friend To Death (Graphic Photos)
- We Are People Too – Higuain Apologises For Being Sent Off
- My Mum Behind My Flamboyant Fashion Sense – Paul Pogba
- OMG : Suspected Vandal Found Dead Inside NNPC Pipeline In Ogun
- Face Of Burglar Who Broke Into IBB’s Guesthouse And Stole Phones, Cash, Others (Photo)
- Salary: Ondo Workers Threaten To Begin Strike On Tuesday
- Revealed: How N15 Million Ransom Was Paid For Freedom Of Abducted Ondo ADC Chieftains
- My Daughter Wants To See Her Father, Davido’s Alleged Baby Mama Cries Out
- Gabon leader Ali Bongo seriously ill, says Presidency
- Stop using sniper to preserve beans, Agric minister begs traders
- Macron snubs US arms in defence spat with Trump
- Man City overpower United to win derby
- Lionel Messi Fails As Real Betis Beat Barcelona 4-3
- Google Doodle celebrates Christy Essien-Igbokwe’s 58th posthumous birthday
- 65-year-old man dies during sex with lover
- The fire threatening to consume Oshiomhole and APC’s chances in 2019
- APC Guber Candidate, Sanwo-olu Tells INEC About His Mental Health
- Nigerians Are Frustrated – Obasanjo
- What Davido’s Fans Went To Do At His House Last Night Will Shock You (Video)
- Mourinho takes swipe at Aguero ahead of City clash
- 2019: Banky W declares his intention to run for House of Reps
- Those calling for Oshiomhole’s removal want to destroy APC –Marafa
- Minimum wage: 1.5 million FG workers to earn over N2.3tn