Akwa Ibom State Government has dragged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to court, demanding N50 billion as damages over recent freezing of the state’s accounts.
Joined in the suit with reference No: FHC/UY/CS/137/18 as co-defendants are the Attorney General of the Federation, Zenith Bank Plc, Skye Bank Plc and United Bank for Africa Plc.
The state government is complaining that the recent freezing of its accounts by the anti-graft agency for about 72 hours was unlawful and had crippled both the economy and reputation of the state.
The court is being asked to determine, “Whether the accounts of Akwa Ibom State Government held with banks or financial institutions fall within the financial crimes enforcement purview of section 34 of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Established) Act 2004.
And, “Whether the account of Akwa Ibom State Government with a bank or financial institution can be subjected to a freezing order pursuant to section 34 of the EFCC (Established) Act 2004″
The applicant or claimant, in a writ of summons dated August 17, 2018, filled by the counsel, Chief Assam E. Assam (SAN) of Lex Fori Partners is urging the defendants to cause an appearance to be entered within 30 days after service or risk judgement given in their absence.
Reacting to the suit, the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice of the State, Mr. Uwemedimo Nwoko, argued that the EFCC had no constitutional powers to freeze the account of the state government.
“There is no basis even in the constitution of Nigeria or any other enabling law made by anybody whether the National Assembly or the state Assembly or any other convention that authorises any federal agency or any agency to shut down the account of a state government as done by the EFCC.
His words: “I want to state clearly that even if there were to be an investigation that the EFCC was carrying out about whether there was any fraud committed against Akwa Ibom State in that circumstance, it should be the government of Akwa Ibom that should be the victim, so there was no basis for freezing the account they claimed that they were investigating a fraud against that state government.”
The Attorney General of the state who is representing the state government in the suit, stressed that the freezing of the state government account for 72 hours stalled the economic, security and business operations in the state.
This, he maintained, had caused some prospective investors in the state to diverted their investments elsewhere, thereby subjecting the state to huge economic loss and embarrassment.
“That singular attempt of freezing the account of the state government was shutting down the state. Akwa Ibom State was brought down on its knees, it was an attempt to paralyse and completely demobilise the activity of the state.
“We could not respond to economic, security and business exigencies. Most importantly, the investors that were coming to Akwa Ibom began to have a second thought and became worried about the status of their investment. Those who were on their way begun to go back, so we suffered unquantifiable losses,” he lamented
Nwoko dismissed the denial by the EFCC of freezing the state government account as after thought and face saving approach as the state government has every evidence to prove that its accounts were frozen.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ban on smartphones unconstitutional, Ekweremadu tells INEC
- UCL: Juventus victorious despite Ronaldo red card
- UCL: Cornet stars as less-fancied Lyon stun Manchester City
- UCL: Real Madrid run riot against Roma
- The moment that saw Cristiano Ronaldo see red (Video)
- 2019: Chris Giwa declares senatorial bid
- FG suspends Nigeria Air indefinitely
- Osun election: Saraki, Atiku, Secondus rally support for Adeleke
- 3 officials given life bans by FIFA for corruption
- Father threatens to throw child from window
- Drama As Fight Breaks Out In Church When Pastor Tells Woman Her Best Friend Is Behind Her Problems (Video)
- BREAKING: Police Invite Davido’s Uncle, Sen. Adeleke For Allegedly Engaging In Exam Malpractice
- Gov. Ambode Reacts To Rumours Of Stepping Down From Guber Race
- Story Of Identical Twin Sisters Who Gave Birth To Sons On The Same Day At The Same Hospital (Photos)
- US-based Nigerian Group Offers To Pay Leah Sharibu’s Ransom
- Lovely Photos Of Basketmouth And His Beautiful Wife
- Adorable Photo Of Actress Yvonne Nelson And Her Daughter
- Comedian Bovi And Wife Celebrate Their 9th Wedding Anniversary, Release Adorable Photos
- BREAKING: I Will Contest Lagos Gov Election – Jimi Agbaje Finally Confirms
- Police Speak On AAU Graduation Cult Clash That Left Many Dead
- Juventus Forward, Costa Bags Four-Match Ban After Spitting Incident
- Racism: Mesut Ozil’s agent blasts Kroos, Neuer, Muller
- Buhari does not understand governance – Saraki insists
- 2019: INEC clarifies statement on ban of smart phones around polling units
- UCL: Jurgen Klopp singles out one player that helped Liverpool beat PSG
- UCL: Griezmann, Costa combine as Atletico undo Monaco
- Oyo govt shuts Obasanjo Farms in Ibadan
- Champions League: Lionel Messi hits hat-trick as Barcelona thrash PSV 4-0
- Champions League: Firmino hands Liverpool flying Champions League start over PSG
- UCL: Sergio Ramos attacks Griezmann over Messi, Ronaldo
- How Buhari committed abomination by replacing Kemi Adesoun with El-Rufai’s stepsister – HURIWA
- President Buhari Storms Osogbo For APC Mega Rally (Photo)
- Tension As Italian Catholic Priest Is Kidnapped In Niger
- Boko Haram And The Concept Of ‘Technical Defeat’
- 2Baba’s First Son, Nino’s Lovely Birthday Message To His Dad Will Warm Your Heart
- REVEALED: Cristiano Ronaldo’s Last Speech For Real Madrid In The Champions League Final
- ‘Tomorrow Is Pregnant’ – Man Shares Throwback Photo With Ex Classmate Who Is Now A Governor
- 2019: APC Chieftain, Dahiru Yusuf Yabo Dumps Party, Defects To PDP
- I’ll Teach You How To Defeat Tinubu In Lagos, Saraki Tells Lagosians
- Emmy Awards 2018: ‘Game of Thrones’ wins best drama series