‘It Started As Ordinary Body Pain’ – Singer, Newman Tells How He Suffered Mysterious Illness For 9 Years
A Nigerian gospel artiste, Newman, has told the story of how he endured a really mysterious illness for nine years.
Newman Awesome, a Nigerian gospel artiste was, for nine years, struck down with a strange illness that made him see death as an escape route.
Now, speaking with Sunday Scoop recently, Newman said the illness started as ‘ordinary’ body pain in 1999.
He said, “I noticed I was experiencing pains all over my body, especially my head, neck and the jaw parts of my body. Gradually, I began to develop little growths all over my jaw and neck. It was very painful, ugly and discomforting. When we went to the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, the doctors had no explanation for the strange ailment. Later, they told me I was poisoned by a diabolic man.”
According to him, he was advised to consult native doctors or traditional healers but it was against his belief.
He added, “Miraculously, after years, the malignant growths in my neck began to burst on their own. But the joy of this lasted for a while. The burst points became opened to the extent that when I drank water, it would pour out of my body. It was horrible.
“Also, when it seemed as if I was beginning to have some relief, my situation relapsed to another level of agony. My left leg shrank to almost a broom size, and practically became lifeless. I became emaciated. Certain people who were coming to see me were as good as coming to mock me and my family, saying since we claimed to be serving God, why couldn’t God heal me and deliver the family from the trouble the ailment brought. One of the major rumours was that I had HIV/AIDS. At this point, almost everybody, except my immediate family members, deserted me. My mother and siblings really suffered so much to care for me.
“My people would go out every day, not sure of meeting me alive at home when they get back. I was always locked up at home when everybody had gone out. At that point, I couldn’t eat anything; yet, I was stooling and vomiting uncontrollably. My people resorted to using diapers on me because of frequent and uncontrollable excretion. The things I was passing as faeces were indescribable. All hope seemed lost when I started vomiting blood constantly. People were surprised by the volume of blood that was coming out of an ordinary skeleton. There was no strength left in me but prayers sustained me. Now, I’m a living, healthy and bubbling young man.”
Recalling the first day he walked with his legs after being taken to the hospital, Newman said the place was thrown into celebration. He stated, “The hospital ward became a Mecca of sorts as people rushed to see the miracle. They didn’t believe I could walk again. I became healed in 2008, while my father died in 2009. If you had seen me in 2008, you could tell that I passed through a challenging time. But I have fully recovered now.”
During the illness, the fifth child of six children admitted that there were times he was unhappy whenever his family members were praying to God to show him mercy, as he thought it would be better if he was dead than going through those pains.
Speaking about his music, he said, “Before the illness, I was already a musician. It was when I was thinking of taking it seriously that I fell ill. Now, I go for shows; I do strictly Christian music. People have been disturbing me to release an album and I plan to do so soon. Newman has been my name all the while, but people thought I started bearing the name after surviving the sickness.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Mom and daughter reunited after 2-year separation
- FG panel probes David Mark’s offshore assets
- Nigeria’s first gold refinery to be completed June 2019
- I’m glad Senate didn’t confirm me – EFCC boss, Magu
- Afenifere, Ohanaeze back 71 Reps’ bill seeking parliamentary govt
- Kanye West Demands Apology from Drake for ‘Sneak Diss’ and Gets This
- Okorocha presents budget of N276bn for 2019
- BREAKING: SDP scribe, Gabam, becomes Duke’s presidential running mate
- Sowore to sue Channels TV boss for excluding him from debate
- Checkout The Awesome Official Wedding Photos Of Nollywood Actor, Frankincense And His Wife
- Female NYSC Corps Member Reportedly Dies Of Typhoid
- Graphic Photos Of Swiss Park Hotel Manager Shot Dead By Gunmen In Anambra
- I Stabbed Her All Over Untill She Died – Man Confesses As Court Sentences Him To Death In Plateau
- Nigerian Football Legend, Kanu Nwankwo Spotted With Brazilian Legend, Ronaldinho (Photos)
- Maradona’s new girlfriend kicks him out of home he bought for her
- 2018 Soundcity MVP awards: Davido, Tiwa Savage, Yemi Alade, others top nomination list
- Mourinho orders Man United players to train on Christmas Day
- BREAKING: APC postpones governorship campaign in Kwara, cites insecurity
- We didn’t endorse Buhari for second term – CAN
- APC, PDP Reps clash over unsigned electoral bill
- Champions League: Mourinho says ‘nothing’ surprised him about Valencia defeat
- Shame To Stingy People – Father Mbaka Attacks Peter Obi Again Despite Apology
- JUST IN: He Is Back From ISRAEL! The Crowd Is Massive
- Sex in car is criminal, Lagos Police counters Abayomi Shogunle
- UK parliament upholds vote of confidence in Theresa May
- UCL: Scoreline flatters Man Utd in Valencia defeat
- Heartbreaking: Serving NYSC Member Dies While Traveling To His PPA In Kano (Photos)
- FG Forcing PDP Governors To A Secret Deal – Uche Secondus Raises Alarm
- How I Wanted Breast Implants, Plastic Surgery – Nwankwo Kanu’s Wife Opens Up
- JUST IN: Theresa May tells party she plans to quit before 2022 election
- Agbaje is my ‘egbon’, I expect decency from him – Sanwo-Olu
- BREAKING: Atiku, Ezekwesili sign peace pact today
- Kim Jong Un’s step-grandmother dies
- Facebook Headquarters At Silicon Valley Evacuated Following Bomb Threat
- Famous Footballer’s Wife Breaks Down In Tears As Husband’s Team Is Eliminated From Champions League
- BREAKING : Theresa May Faces Vote Of No Confidence, May Lose Position as UK Prime Minister
- JUST IN: ASUU Strike may end on Monday (Details Inside)
- Poly lecturers (ASUP) begin nationwide strike today
- True Story Of Shamed Couple Caught Making Love In The Car Revealed (Photos)
- ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT: “Impact Of Bullets On Mbaka’s Car Is There For All To See That It Is Real”