A pro-democracy group, Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria, HURIWA, has lambasted President Muhammadu Buhari over the replacement of former Finance Minister, Kemi Adeosun with Zainab Ahmed.
HURIWA said Buhari’s action of appointing his “kinsmen” to head security and sensitive areas of government with those who share “same religion is a constitutional abomination which must be aborted forthwith.”
The organisation faulted Ahmed’s appointment, claiming the appointee was the stepsister of the Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.
Recall that Adeosun had last week resigned her appointment as the Finance Minister over the alleged forgery of her National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, exemption certificate.
Following the resignation of Adeosun, Ahmed was appointed the acting Minister as her replacement.
However, HURIWA in a statement by its National Coordinator, Comrade Emmanuel Onwubiko lamented “The decision by President Muhammadu Buhari to pick the reported step-sister of the Kaduna state governor (Nasir El-Rufai) Zainab Ahmed, a Fulani like himself as Finance Minister after the resignation of the immediate past Minister, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, who had to leave following swirling allegations of certificate scam.”
The rights group also berated the President for, “concentrating key and strategic beats in the hands of only a section of the country”.
Against this backdrop, the body accused the, “President of nepotism which violates section 14 (3) of the constitution.”
The statement reads, “Why should this government concentrate the most important appointments in the cabinet such as Finance, Defence, Justice and the entire internal security team in the hands of a section of Nigeria and alienating others. This divisive tendency is a grave threat to national security and the survival of our union as a united political and sovereign entity?”
“Total control of all security infrastructures and the concentration of same in the hands of the President’s kinsmen who share same religion is a constitutional abomination which must be aborted forthwith.
It also questioned the ”replacement of a competent acting Director General of Directorate of State Security Services, Mr. Mathew Seiyefa with a retiree from Kano state Alhaji Yusuf Magaji Bichi”.
Latest Nigeria News
- Real Madrid Eye Conte As Lopetegui’s Replacement
- How NASS Plans To Pressure Buhari To Assent To Petroleum Industry Governance Bill – Saraki
- No Man Is Perfect – School Principal Speaks After Flogging Female NYSC Member (Photos)
- Trapped Journalists And Civil Servants Recount Ordeal In Kaduna Crisis
- Nigerian Eiye Cultist Killed By Rival Gang At A Nightclub In South Africa (Photos)
- Osun poll: Tribunal orders substituted service on INEC, Oyetola
- Grand corruption my biggest surprise as Vice-President – Osinbajo
- Naira loses marginally against dollar at parallel market
- Those who feel they have another country are free to go —Buhari
- “Nnamdi Kanu Is Not In Jerusalem” – Isreali Government Reacts
- CBN revokes nine micro-finance banks’ licences in Niger
- Why majority of Benue residents oppose Buhari’s re-election – Gov Ortom
- Captain Ozil shines in stellar Arsenal comeback
- Ashanti Cancels Concert After Selling Only 24 Tickets
- Xenophobia: 9 Nigerian-owned Shops Burnt In South Africa
- Unbelievable : Doctors Find 122 Nails Inside Patient’s Stomach During Operation
- Priest Commits Suicide After Being Accused Of Abusing A Child
- Is The Lagos Assembly Truly Planning To Impeach Ambode? Find Out What The Speaker Has To Say
- BBNaija’s Nina Shows Off Her Mother And Sisters As She Celebrates Her Mother’s Birthday
- NYSC Suspends Batch ‘C’ Orientation Course Indefinitely In Kaduna Over Unrest
- Osinbajo, Other Top Politicians Present As Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates 80th Birthday (Photos)
- See A Teenage Female Blogger Allegedly Buys Two Cars For Her Parents As ‘Thank You’ Gifts (Photos)
- Norway To Increase Visa Issuance To Nigerians
- OMG : Heavy Flood Sweeps Away Van Containing Drugs Worth Millions In Delta
- Revealed: Saraki’s Anointed Candidate For Kwara Governorship Skips NYSC, Forges Certificate
- Lagos OAP Rocks Braless, Open Chest Outfit To Public Gathering (Photos)
- 55 Dead: Governor Nasir El-Rufai Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Kaduna
- Governor Amosun Breaks Silence After Reports Alleged He Has Dumped APC
- Tragedy As Man Stabs Customer To Death Over N200 Beer At A Bar (Photos)
- Oshiomhole attacks APC chiefs plotting his removal
- Religious leaders visit Buhari just to take photographs – Bakare
- We Will Attack Israel If Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Deported Back To Nigeria – Lai Mohammed
- APC Expels Former SGF, Nnamani
- 2019: Man Who Rode Bicycle From Owerri To Abuja For Atiku, Collapses, Lands In Hospital (Photos)
- JUST IN: El-Rufai imposes 24-hour curfew on Kaduna
- Nnamdi Kanu Radio Biafra Broadcast: “I decree that there is no longer S/East or S/South Nigeria” (Full Message)
- There’s a gang up against me – Adams Oshiomhole cries out
- What APC Used To Deceive Shehu Sani – Ben Bruce
- It Is Possible For America To Lift Visa Ban On Atiku Any Time Soon – Campaign Spokesperson
- Nigerian Soldiers Hold Church Service With Their AK-47 Rifles (Photo)