The cult clash involving during a graduation party at the Ambrose Alli University has been confirmed by the police.
The Edo State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Johnson Kokumo, has confirmed the killing of a student and four others injured at a graduation party of the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, on Wednesday.
According to a Punch report, Kokumo said it was a clash among members of rival cult groups.
Unconfirmed reports said that a final year medical student of the university and nine others were killed during the clash on Tuesday.
Kokumo, however, said that he could only confirm the death of one person while four others sustained gunshot wounds and were taken to an undisclosed hospital.
He further stated that no fewer than four suspects had been arrested, with arms and ammunition recovered from them.
The CP, who spoke to our correspondent on the telephone, said, “I am currently in Osun State for a national assignment. But the report reaching me does not confirm 10 (dead). I got a wind of it (incident) that five people were shot in a cult rivalry.
“The people at war were members of different cult groups. The shooting was as a result of cult rivalry; that is the information reaching me.
“Arrests have been made. I think four or six people have been arrested with weapons recovered. I do not know whether all of them (victims) actually died.
“But the information, as of yesterday (Tuesday) was that five people were shot, one was confirmed dead and the remaining four were taken to a hospital.
Efforts to reach the Public Relations Officer of the university, Mr. Edward Aihevba, were unsuccessful as he neither picked his calls nor responded to a text message sent to his mobile number.
But it was gathered that students of the institution had been living in fear since the incident occurred.
Some of them living outside the campus were said to have fled their hostels for the fear of a reprisal as they prepared to write their examinations.
A student, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, stated, “I heard about it (incident). People are afraid to leave the campus, especially as we preparing for our exams which will begin on Friday.
“The party was organised individually and different people attended. Some students prefer to hold their parties outside the school where they would not be interrupted by the university authority.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Real Madrid Eye Conte As Lopetegui’s Replacement
- How NASS Plans To Pressure Buhari To Assent To Petroleum Industry Governance Bill – Saraki
- No Man Is Perfect – School Principal Speaks After Flogging Female NYSC Member (Photos)
- Trapped Journalists And Civil Servants Recount Ordeal In Kaduna Crisis
- Nigerian Eiye Cultist Killed By Rival Gang At A Nightclub In South Africa (Photos)
- Osun poll: Tribunal orders substituted service on INEC, Oyetola
- Grand corruption my biggest surprise as Vice-President – Osinbajo
- Naira loses marginally against dollar at parallel market
- Those who feel they have another country are free to go —Buhari
- “Nnamdi Kanu Is Not In Jerusalem” – Isreali Government Reacts
- CBN revokes nine micro-finance banks’ licences in Niger
- Why majority of Benue residents oppose Buhari’s re-election – Gov Ortom
- Captain Ozil shines in stellar Arsenal comeback
- Ashanti Cancels Concert After Selling Only 24 Tickets
- Xenophobia: 9 Nigerian-owned Shops Burnt In South Africa
- Unbelievable : Doctors Find 122 Nails Inside Patient’s Stomach During Operation
- Priest Commits Suicide After Being Accused Of Abusing A Child
- Is The Lagos Assembly Truly Planning To Impeach Ambode? Find Out What The Speaker Has To Say
- BBNaija’s Nina Shows Off Her Mother And Sisters As She Celebrates Her Mother’s Birthday
- NYSC Suspends Batch ‘C’ Orientation Course Indefinitely In Kaduna Over Unrest
- Osinbajo, Other Top Politicians Present As Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates 80th Birthday (Photos)
- See A Teenage Female Blogger Allegedly Buys Two Cars For Her Parents As ‘Thank You’ Gifts (Photos)
- Norway To Increase Visa Issuance To Nigerians
- OMG : Heavy Flood Sweeps Away Van Containing Drugs Worth Millions In Delta
- Revealed: Saraki’s Anointed Candidate For Kwara Governorship Skips NYSC, Forges Certificate
- Lagos OAP Rocks Braless, Open Chest Outfit To Public Gathering (Photos)
- 55 Dead: Governor Nasir El-Rufai Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Kaduna
- Governor Amosun Breaks Silence After Reports Alleged He Has Dumped APC
- Tragedy As Man Stabs Customer To Death Over N200 Beer At A Bar (Photos)
- Oshiomhole attacks APC chiefs plotting his removal
- Religious leaders visit Buhari just to take photographs – Bakare
- We Will Attack Israel If Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Deported Back To Nigeria – Lai Mohammed
- APC Expels Former SGF, Nnamani
- 2019: Man Who Rode Bicycle From Owerri To Abuja For Atiku, Collapses, Lands In Hospital (Photos)
- JUST IN: El-Rufai imposes 24-hour curfew on Kaduna
- Nnamdi Kanu Radio Biafra Broadcast: “I decree that there is no longer S/East or S/South Nigeria” (Full Message)
- There’s a gang up against me – Adams Oshiomhole cries out
- What APC Used To Deceive Shehu Sani – Ben Bruce
- It Is Possible For America To Lift Visa Ban On Atiku Any Time Soon – Campaign Spokesperson
- Nigerian Soldiers Hold Church Service With Their AK-47 Rifles (Photo)