The fate of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode hangs in the balance as the All Progressives Congress prepares to conduct its primary.
An indication to this effect came from Mr Adeyemi Ikuforiji, a former Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, as he urged Epe indigenes to pray for Ambode’s successful clinching of the All Progressives Congress’ ticket at the governorship direct primary scheduled for Sept. 29.
Ikuforiji made the appeal at the grand finale of Kayokayo festival in Epe on Saturday night.
Epe is home to Ambode and the late Gov. Michael Otedola.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the state’s Governor’s Advisory Council (GAC), the highest decision making body of APC in Lagos, met on Saturday night where it resolved that the chapter must hold its primary to determine its governorship candidate.
The decision may have put paid to hopes that the party would clear the coast for Ambode’s bid by asking his challengers to step down for him.
Among his challengers are Mr Jide Sanwo-Olu, a former Commissioner for Training and Establishment, believed to have been backed by Chief Bola Tinubu, APC National Leader and ex-governor, and Dr Obafemi Hamzat, also a former Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure.
A source close to the 22-member GAC meeting held at Tinubu’s Ikoyi residence told NAN that the party insisted that Ambode must go through the primary with others.
“We met and deliberated extensively on the governor’s second term bid and our forthcoming primary.
“After the deliberations, we resolved that the party should hold the primary to pick its candidate because that is just the right thing to do.
“We are a democratic party that believes so much in internal democracy, so we think we should allow everyone to sell themselves to members who will eventually determine their choices,” the source who attended the meeting said.
Among those who attended the meeting are Sen. Anthony Adefuye, Alhaji Tajudeen Olusi and former Speaker, Adeyemi Ikuforiji, and Chief Abayomi Finnih, who is scheduled to address the press on Monday on the outcome.
Ikuforiji, however, urged the people to be calm and support the governor in prayers for him to be successful in the re-election bid.
He said prayer became necessary because of the “speculations” that Mr Jide Sanwo-Olu has been tipped to succeed Ambode as the next governor on APC platform in 2019 election.
Also addressing the gathering, Mr Adedoyin Adesanya, the Chairman, Epe Local Government, stressed the need for peaceful coexistence and be focused.
He said the people of Epe should live in peace and harmony for the progress of the community.
Earlier, Mr Alade Saliu-Okulu, the Chairman, Organising Committee, thanked sponsors and attendees, noting that this year’s festival was better than the previous editions.
He advised the winner of a brand new car at the festival to make a good use it and support the staging of other editions.
The activities marking the Epe Kayokayo festival which started on Sept. 14 were rounded off at mid-night of Sept. 22 with several artistes on the bandstand.
Latest Nigeria News
- Mom and daughter reunited after 2-year separation
- FG panel probes David Mark’s offshore assets
- Nigeria’s first gold refinery to be completed June 2019
- I’m glad Senate didn’t confirm me – EFCC boss, Magu
- Afenifere, Ohanaeze back 71 Reps’ bill seeking parliamentary govt
- Kanye West Demands Apology from Drake for ‘Sneak Diss’ and Gets This
- Okorocha presents budget of N276bn for 2019
- BREAKING: SDP scribe, Gabam, becomes Duke’s presidential running mate
- Sowore to sue Channels TV boss for excluding him from debate
- Checkout The Awesome Official Wedding Photos Of Nollywood Actor, Frankincense And His Wife
- Female NYSC Corps Member Reportedly Dies Of Typhoid
- Graphic Photos Of Swiss Park Hotel Manager Shot Dead By Gunmen In Anambra
- I Stabbed Her All Over Untill She Died – Man Confesses As Court Sentences Him To Death In Plateau
- Nigerian Football Legend, Kanu Nwankwo Spotted With Brazilian Legend, Ronaldinho (Photos)
- Maradona’s new girlfriend kicks him out of home he bought for her
- 2018 Soundcity MVP awards: Davido, Tiwa Savage, Yemi Alade, others top nomination list
- Mourinho orders Man United players to train on Christmas Day
- BREAKING: APC postpones governorship campaign in Kwara, cites insecurity
- We didn’t endorse Buhari for second term – CAN
- APC, PDP Reps clash over unsigned electoral bill
- Champions League: Mourinho says ‘nothing’ surprised him about Valencia defeat
- Shame To Stingy People – Father Mbaka Attacks Peter Obi Again Despite Apology
- JUST IN: He Is Back From ISRAEL! The Crowd Is Massive
- Sex in car is criminal, Lagos Police counters Abayomi Shogunle
- UK parliament upholds vote of confidence in Theresa May
- UCL: Scoreline flatters Man Utd in Valencia defeat
- Heartbreaking: Serving NYSC Member Dies While Traveling To His PPA In Kano (Photos)
- FG Forcing PDP Governors To A Secret Deal – Uche Secondus Raises Alarm
- How I Wanted Breast Implants, Plastic Surgery – Nwankwo Kanu’s Wife Opens Up
- JUST IN: Theresa May tells party she plans to quit before 2022 election
- Agbaje is my ‘egbon’, I expect decency from him – Sanwo-Olu
- BREAKING: Atiku, Ezekwesili sign peace pact today
- Kim Jong Un’s step-grandmother dies
- Facebook Headquarters At Silicon Valley Evacuated Following Bomb Threat
- Famous Footballer’s Wife Breaks Down In Tears As Husband’s Team Is Eliminated From Champions League
- BREAKING : Theresa May Faces Vote Of No Confidence, May Lose Position as UK Prime Minister
- JUST IN: ASUU Strike may end on Monday (Details Inside)
- Poly lecturers (ASUP) begin nationwide strike today
- True Story Of Shamed Couple Caught Making Love In The Car Revealed (Photos)
- ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT: “Impact Of Bullets On Mbaka’s Car Is There For All To See That It Is Real”