The England youth international is prepared to accept the request to feature for the Super Eagles at the expense of the 2018 World Cup semi-finalists.
Reims winger Sheyi Ojo has stated his readiness to honour Nigeria’s invitation to the national team if they come calling now.
The 21-year-old has represented England at all youth levels from the U16 to U21 and was a key member of the squad that won the 2017 Fifa U20 World Cup in South Korea.
Ojo, who was born to Nigerian parents in Hertfordshire, has revealed that he would ‘never turn down’ the three-time African champions but rather think about the call before making his decision.
“To be honest, I don’t know much about it [Nigeria interest], but if they call me I’d be honoured to go to Nigeria,” Ojo told BBC Sport .
“It’s obviously a massive nation. I’m just really focused on club football at the moment, but I’m excited for the future, both club and country.
“My parents are originally from Nigeria as well, so they know a lot about it. They’ve always been keen on the idea [to represent Nigeria] but so far I’ve mainly been focusing on club football.
“It’s starting to get to the time where I have to start thinking about my future. And of course, if Nigeria were to call me now it would be an honour.
“Of course, if I was to get selected I’d definitely think about it, I’d never turn down Nigeria.
“I’m from Nigeria originally so it’d be an honour, likewise with England as well. If I keep doing well, opportunities will come by for club and country.
“It’s not really something I’m thinking about at the moment but you never know what could happen in the future.”
Over the years, the Nigeria Football Federation have convinced ex-England youth internationals with Nigeria descent – Alex Iwobi, Victor Moses, Sone Aluko, Ola Aina – to turn out for the country.
The Liverpool loanee who moved to the French Ligue 1 on a season-long loan this summer could also join the growing list of England-born players in Gernot Rohr’s set-up.
Latest Nigeria News
- Real Madrid Eye Conte As Lopetegui’s Replacement
- How NASS Plans To Pressure Buhari To Assent To Petroleum Industry Governance Bill – Saraki
- No Man Is Perfect – School Principal Speaks After Flogging Female NYSC Member (Photos)
- Trapped Journalists And Civil Servants Recount Ordeal In Kaduna Crisis
- Nigerian Eiye Cultist Killed By Rival Gang At A Nightclub In South Africa (Photos)
- Osun poll: Tribunal orders substituted service on INEC, Oyetola
- Grand corruption my biggest surprise as Vice-President – Osinbajo
- Naira loses marginally against dollar at parallel market
- Those who feel they have another country are free to go —Buhari
- “Nnamdi Kanu Is Not In Jerusalem” – Isreali Government Reacts
- CBN revokes nine micro-finance banks’ licences in Niger
- Why majority of Benue residents oppose Buhari’s re-election – Gov Ortom
- Captain Ozil shines in stellar Arsenal comeback
- Ashanti Cancels Concert After Selling Only 24 Tickets
- Xenophobia: 9 Nigerian-owned Shops Burnt In South Africa
- Unbelievable : Doctors Find 122 Nails Inside Patient’s Stomach During Operation
- Priest Commits Suicide After Being Accused Of Abusing A Child
- Is The Lagos Assembly Truly Planning To Impeach Ambode? Find Out What The Speaker Has To Say
- BBNaija’s Nina Shows Off Her Mother And Sisters As She Celebrates Her Mother’s Birthday
- NYSC Suspends Batch ‘C’ Orientation Course Indefinitely In Kaduna Over Unrest
- Osinbajo, Other Top Politicians Present As Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates 80th Birthday (Photos)
- See A Teenage Female Blogger Allegedly Buys Two Cars For Her Parents As ‘Thank You’ Gifts (Photos)
- Norway To Increase Visa Issuance To Nigerians
- OMG : Heavy Flood Sweeps Away Van Containing Drugs Worth Millions In Delta
- Revealed: Saraki’s Anointed Candidate For Kwara Governorship Skips NYSC, Forges Certificate
- Lagos OAP Rocks Braless, Open Chest Outfit To Public Gathering (Photos)
- 55 Dead: Governor Nasir El-Rufai Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Kaduna
- Governor Amosun Breaks Silence After Reports Alleged He Has Dumped APC
- Tragedy As Man Stabs Customer To Death Over N200 Beer At A Bar (Photos)
- Oshiomhole attacks APC chiefs plotting his removal
- Religious leaders visit Buhari just to take photographs – Bakare
- We Will Attack Israel If Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Deported Back To Nigeria – Lai Mohammed
- APC Expels Former SGF, Nnamani
- 2019: Man Who Rode Bicycle From Owerri To Abuja For Atiku, Collapses, Lands In Hospital (Photos)
- JUST IN: El-Rufai imposes 24-hour curfew on Kaduna
- Nnamdi Kanu Radio Biafra Broadcast: “I decree that there is no longer S/East or S/South Nigeria” (Full Message)
- There’s a gang up against me – Adams Oshiomhole cries out
- What APC Used To Deceive Shehu Sani – Ben Bruce
- It Is Possible For America To Lift Visa Ban On Atiku Any Time Soon – Campaign Spokesperson
- Nigerian Soldiers Hold Church Service With Their AK-47 Rifles (Photo)