Lionel Messi voted for Cristiano Ronaldo in The FIFA Best Men ’ s Player award – albeit behind Luka Modric and Kylian Mbappe , Europe Eurosport. com reports .Meanwhile , Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr and captain Mikel Obi voted fora Modric and Messi respectively for the top award .
Rohr voted for Modric in the first place and Mbappe in second place . Mikel voted for Messi , who was not shortlisted , as his best player while Mbappe and Modric came second and third in his voting .
After a history of snubs involving world football ’ s most revered duo , Messi elected to issue Ronaldo with a solitary point in the 2018 vote . It was not enough to propel his nemesis to victory , however , as Modric ended the Ronaldo – Messi stranglehold on the award .
Perhaps unsurprisingly , Ronaldo was not as kind and cast his three votes for Raphael Varane , Modric and Antoine Griezmann .
International captains and head coaches , plus journalists from FIFA member countries , were invited to pick their top three players from the 2017 – 18 season – with their first pick receiving five points , second receiving three points , and third receiving one point . Messi and Ronaldo got to vote as captains of Argentina and Portugal respectively .
England ’ s Golden Boot winner Harry Kane , probably still reeling from his nation’ s loss to Croatia in the World Cup semi – finals , opted to ignore Modric ’ s stellar season in favour of Ronaldo , Messi and Kevin De Bruyne .
Kane was voted the best player by an illustrious trio : Bahamas coach Dion Godet , Chinese Taipei coach Gary White and Vanuatu journalist Nase Raymond. It was not enough to make the final shortlist .
Latest Nigeria News
- Real Madrid Eye Conte As Lopetegui’s Replacement
- How NASS Plans To Pressure Buhari To Assent To Petroleum Industry Governance Bill – Saraki
- No Man Is Perfect – School Principal Speaks After Flogging Female NYSC Member (Photos)
- Trapped Journalists And Civil Servants Recount Ordeal In Kaduna Crisis
- Nigerian Eiye Cultist Killed By Rival Gang At A Nightclub In South Africa (Photos)
- Osun poll: Tribunal orders substituted service on INEC, Oyetola
- Grand corruption my biggest surprise as Vice-President – Osinbajo
- Naira loses marginally against dollar at parallel market
- Those who feel they have another country are free to go —Buhari
- “Nnamdi Kanu Is Not In Jerusalem” – Isreali Government Reacts
- CBN revokes nine micro-finance banks’ licences in Niger
- Why majority of Benue residents oppose Buhari’s re-election – Gov Ortom
- Captain Ozil shines in stellar Arsenal comeback
- Ashanti Cancels Concert After Selling Only 24 Tickets
- Xenophobia: 9 Nigerian-owned Shops Burnt In South Africa
- Unbelievable : Doctors Find 122 Nails Inside Patient’s Stomach During Operation
- Priest Commits Suicide After Being Accused Of Abusing A Child
- Is The Lagos Assembly Truly Planning To Impeach Ambode? Find Out What The Speaker Has To Say
- BBNaija’s Nina Shows Off Her Mother And Sisters As She Celebrates Her Mother’s Birthday
- NYSC Suspends Batch ‘C’ Orientation Course Indefinitely In Kaduna Over Unrest
- Osinbajo, Other Top Politicians Present As Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates 80th Birthday (Photos)
- See A Teenage Female Blogger Allegedly Buys Two Cars For Her Parents As ‘Thank You’ Gifts (Photos)
- Norway To Increase Visa Issuance To Nigerians
- OMG : Heavy Flood Sweeps Away Van Containing Drugs Worth Millions In Delta
- Revealed: Saraki’s Anointed Candidate For Kwara Governorship Skips NYSC, Forges Certificate
- Lagos OAP Rocks Braless, Open Chest Outfit To Public Gathering (Photos)
- 55 Dead: Governor Nasir El-Rufai Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Kaduna
- Governor Amosun Breaks Silence After Reports Alleged He Has Dumped APC
- Tragedy As Man Stabs Customer To Death Over N200 Beer At A Bar (Photos)
- Oshiomhole attacks APC chiefs plotting his removal
- Religious leaders visit Buhari just to take photographs – Bakare
- We Will Attack Israel If Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Deported Back To Nigeria – Lai Mohammed
- APC Expels Former SGF, Nnamani
- 2019: Man Who Rode Bicycle From Owerri To Abuja For Atiku, Collapses, Lands In Hospital (Photos)
- JUST IN: El-Rufai imposes 24-hour curfew on Kaduna
- Nnamdi Kanu Radio Biafra Broadcast: “I decree that there is no longer S/East or S/South Nigeria” (Full Message)
- There’s a gang up against me – Adams Oshiomhole cries out
- What APC Used To Deceive Shehu Sani – Ben Bruce
- It Is Possible For America To Lift Visa Ban On Atiku Any Time Soon – Campaign Spokesperson
- Nigerian Soldiers Hold Church Service With Their AK-47 Rifles (Photo)