There is the strong possibility that Nigeria could return to recession following the adverse economic indicators.
The Monetary Policy Committee of the Central Bank of Nigeria on Tuesday warned that weak economic fundamentals currently being shown by the economy were putting the country’s exit from recession under threat.
The Nigerian economy exited recession in 2017 after suffering contraction for five consecutive quarters.
Addressing journalists shortly after the two-day meeting of the MPC members held at the headquarters of the apex bank, the CBN Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele, said the economy had started showing signs of weakness.
For instance, he said the committee was concerned that there was a fresh threat of recession as the economy recorded growth rate of 1.95 per cent and 1.5 per cent during the first and the second quarters of this year, respectively.
He noted that the slowdown emanated from the oil sector, with strong linkages to employment and growth.
For instance, the apex bank boss said the late implementation of the 2018 budget, weakening demand and consumer spending, rising contractor debts, and low minimum wage were some of the risks to output growth.
Others, according to him, are the impact of flooding on agricultural output, continued security challenges in the North-East and North-Central zones, and growing level of sovereign debts.
Latest Nigeria News
- Mom and daughter reunited after 2-year separation
- FG panel probes David Mark’s offshore assets
- Nigeria’s first gold refinery to be completed June 2019
- I’m glad Senate didn’t confirm me – EFCC boss, Magu
- Afenifere, Ohanaeze back 71 Reps’ bill seeking parliamentary govt
- Kanye West Demands Apology from Drake for ‘Sneak Diss’ and Gets This
- Okorocha presents budget of N276bn for 2019
- BREAKING: SDP scribe, Gabam, becomes Duke’s presidential running mate
- Sowore to sue Channels TV boss for excluding him from debate
- Checkout The Awesome Official Wedding Photos Of Nollywood Actor, Frankincense And His Wife
- Female NYSC Corps Member Reportedly Dies Of Typhoid
- Graphic Photos Of Swiss Park Hotel Manager Shot Dead By Gunmen In Anambra
- I Stabbed Her All Over Untill She Died – Man Confesses As Court Sentences Him To Death In Plateau
- Nigerian Football Legend, Kanu Nwankwo Spotted With Brazilian Legend, Ronaldinho (Photos)
- Maradona’s new girlfriend kicks him out of home he bought for her
- 2018 Soundcity MVP awards: Davido, Tiwa Savage, Yemi Alade, others top nomination list
- Mourinho orders Man United players to train on Christmas Day
- BREAKING: APC postpones governorship campaign in Kwara, cites insecurity
- We didn’t endorse Buhari for second term – CAN
- APC, PDP Reps clash over unsigned electoral bill
- Champions League: Mourinho says ‘nothing’ surprised him about Valencia defeat
- Shame To Stingy People – Father Mbaka Attacks Peter Obi Again Despite Apology
- JUST IN: He Is Back From ISRAEL! The Crowd Is Massive
- Sex in car is criminal, Lagos Police counters Abayomi Shogunle
- UK parliament upholds vote of confidence in Theresa May
- UCL: Scoreline flatters Man Utd in Valencia defeat
- Heartbreaking: Serving NYSC Member Dies While Traveling To His PPA In Kano (Photos)
- FG Forcing PDP Governors To A Secret Deal – Uche Secondus Raises Alarm
- How I Wanted Breast Implants, Plastic Surgery – Nwankwo Kanu’s Wife Opens Up
- JUST IN: Theresa May tells party she plans to quit before 2022 election
- Agbaje is my ‘egbon’, I expect decency from him – Sanwo-Olu
- BREAKING: Atiku, Ezekwesili sign peace pact today
- Kim Jong Un’s step-grandmother dies
- Facebook Headquarters At Silicon Valley Evacuated Following Bomb Threat
- Famous Footballer’s Wife Breaks Down In Tears As Husband’s Team Is Eliminated From Champions League
- BREAKING : Theresa May Faces Vote Of No Confidence, May Lose Position as UK Prime Minister
- JUST IN: ASUU Strike may end on Monday (Details Inside)
- Poly lecturers (ASUP) begin nationwide strike today
- True Story Of Shamed Couple Caught Making Love In The Car Revealed (Photos)
- ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT: “Impact Of Bullets On Mbaka’s Car Is There For All To See That It Is Real”