Remarks By Chief Olusegun Obasanjo On The Visit of PDP Presidential Candidate , Atiku Abubakar , to Abeokuta on October 11 , 2018
I am happy to welcome the distinguished leaders of goodwill who have led the PDP Presidential Candidate and my former Vice -President , Atiku Abubakar , to my humble abode and I welcome the Presidential Candidate himself .
Let me start by congratulating President -to-be , Atiku Abubakar , for his success at the recent PDP Primary and I took note of his gracious remarks in his acceptance speech that it all started here .
Yes , when it started, it was meant for Atiku to succeed Obasanjo . In the presence of these distinguished leaders of goodwill today , let me say it openly that we have reviewed what went wrong on the side of Atiku . And in all honesty , my former Vice -President has re -discovered and re -positioned himself . As I have repeatedly said, it is not so much what you did against me that was the issue but what you did against the Party , the Government and the country .
I took the stand I had taken based on the character and attributes you exhibited in the position you found yourself . I strongly believe that I was right . It was in the overall interest of everyone and everything to take such a position .
From what transpired in the last couple of hours or so , you have shown remorse ; you have asked for forgiveness and you have indicated that you have learnt some good lessons and you will mend fences and make amends as necessary and as desirable .
Whenever or wherever you might have offended me, as a Christian who asks for God ’ s forgiveness of my sins and inadequacies on daily basis, I forgive and I sincerely advise you to learn from the past and do what is right and it will be well with you . Obviously , you have mended fences with the Party and fully reconciled with the Party . That ’ s why today , you are the Presidential Candidate of the Party . In addition to appreciating all that the Party has done for you , may I advise you to work together with all those who contested for the Party’ s flag with you as a team for your campaign.
There are still areas , nationally and internationally , where you have to mend fences and make amends .
You will know how to handle what is already out and what may yet be put out by the opposition. But, I am convinced that if you continue with the attitude that brought you here with these distinguished leaders of goodwill , with remorse and contrite heart , the rest of the coast within and outside the country can be cleared . And if there is anything I can do and you want me to do in that respect , I will do .
I am sure with the right attitude for change where necessary , and by putting lessons learned by you to work , you will get the understanding , cooperation, support and mandate – all at the national level . With Nigerians voting for you , it will mean that you secure their forgiveness and regain their confidence . It will be with the hope or assurance of a Paul on the road to Damascus Conversion. After all, change and conversion are of man . I believe that with a contrite heart , change is possible in everybody’ s life and situation .
For me, relatively and of all the aspirants in the PDP , you have the widest and greatest exposure , experience , outreach and possibly the best machinery and preparation for seeing the tough and likely dirty campaign ahead through . From what I personally know of you , you have capacity to perform better than the incumbent . You surely understand the economy better ; you have business experience , which can make your administration business -friendly and boost the economy and provide jobs.
You have better outreach nationally and internationally and that can translate to better management of foreign affairs. You are more accessible and less inflexible and more open to all parts of the country in many ways . As Pastor Bakare , one- time running mate of the incumbent President said, “You are a wazobia man . ” And that should help you in confronting the confrontable and shunning nepotism.
As you know , along the road to where you are today , many leaders and ordinary people cooperated and overtly and covertly worked hard . On your behalf , I thank them all. May their coast continue to be expanded . And when you become Nigerian President which , insha -Allah, you will be , remember what we did together in government – we ran an administration by Nigerians for all Nigerians where merit and performance count more than blood relationship , friendship or kith and kin. Although some time and ground have been lost , you should endeavour to start from where we stopped and recover some lost ground , if not time .
Please uphold truth , integrity, principles , morality and fight corruption , crimes and insurgency . The fundamental law of the land , our constitution must be scrupulously defended . I make one demand and one demand on you today , I need you to say before God and man that you will always remain irrevocably committed to upholding ALL the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the whole country will remain your single indivisible constituency .
Constitutionalism , popular participation and inclusiveness are pre- conditions for reversing the deficits of the past three and half years . They will ensure abiding faith in our indivisibility , oneness and faith in the survival of all against none .
The fundamentals for our development, economic growth and progress are hard and soft infrastructure . Remember to always give adequate places in your administration to our youth and women .
All the authorities involved with the preparation , all processes and conduct of the election must ensure that the election is free , fair and credible.
Once again, congratulations and I wish you well. My distinguished brothers and leaders of goodwill , thank you for making this happen . I will now count on you to encourage all hands to be on the deck to take Nigeria to the level God has created it to be – autopilot level .
God bless you all and God bless Nigeria .
Latest Nigeria News
- Real Madrid Eye Conte As Lopetegui’s Replacement
- How NASS Plans To Pressure Buhari To Assent To Petroleum Industry Governance Bill – Saraki
- No Man Is Perfect – School Principal Speaks After Flogging Female NYSC Member (Photos)
- Trapped Journalists And Civil Servants Recount Ordeal In Kaduna Crisis
- Nigerian Eiye Cultist Killed By Rival Gang At A Nightclub In South Africa (Photos)
- Osun poll: Tribunal orders substituted service on INEC, Oyetola
- Grand corruption my biggest surprise as Vice-President – Osinbajo
- Naira loses marginally against dollar at parallel market
- Those who feel they have another country are free to go —Buhari
- “Nnamdi Kanu Is Not In Jerusalem” – Isreali Government Reacts
- CBN revokes nine micro-finance banks’ licences in Niger
- Why majority of Benue residents oppose Buhari’s re-election – Gov Ortom
- Captain Ozil shines in stellar Arsenal comeback
- Ashanti Cancels Concert After Selling Only 24 Tickets
- Xenophobia: 9 Nigerian-owned Shops Burnt In South Africa
- Unbelievable : Doctors Find 122 Nails Inside Patient’s Stomach During Operation
- Priest Commits Suicide After Being Accused Of Abusing A Child
- Is The Lagos Assembly Truly Planning To Impeach Ambode? Find Out What The Speaker Has To Say
- BBNaija’s Nina Shows Off Her Mother And Sisters As She Celebrates Her Mother’s Birthday
- NYSC Suspends Batch ‘C’ Orientation Course Indefinitely In Kaduna Over Unrest
- Osinbajo, Other Top Politicians Present As Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates 80th Birthday (Photos)
- See A Teenage Female Blogger Allegedly Buys Two Cars For Her Parents As ‘Thank You’ Gifts (Photos)
- Norway To Increase Visa Issuance To Nigerians
- OMG : Heavy Flood Sweeps Away Van Containing Drugs Worth Millions In Delta
- Revealed: Saraki’s Anointed Candidate For Kwara Governorship Skips NYSC, Forges Certificate
- Lagos OAP Rocks Braless, Open Chest Outfit To Public Gathering (Photos)
- 55 Dead: Governor Nasir El-Rufai Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Kaduna
- Governor Amosun Breaks Silence After Reports Alleged He Has Dumped APC
- Tragedy As Man Stabs Customer To Death Over N200 Beer At A Bar (Photos)
- Oshiomhole attacks APC chiefs plotting his removal
- Religious leaders visit Buhari just to take photographs – Bakare
- We Will Attack Israel If Nnamdi Kanu Is Not Deported Back To Nigeria – Lai Mohammed
- APC Expels Former SGF, Nnamani
- 2019: Man Who Rode Bicycle From Owerri To Abuja For Atiku, Collapses, Lands In Hospital (Photos)
- JUST IN: El-Rufai imposes 24-hour curfew on Kaduna
- Nnamdi Kanu Radio Biafra Broadcast: “I decree that there is no longer S/East or S/South Nigeria” (Full Message)
- There’s a gang up against me – Adams Oshiomhole cries out
- What APC Used To Deceive Shehu Sani – Ben Bruce
- It Is Possible For America To Lift Visa Ban On Atiku Any Time Soon – Campaign Spokesperson
- Nigerian Soldiers Hold Church Service With Their AK-47 Rifles (Photo)