In a statement released by a senior advocate of Nigeria, Festus Keyamo, the Buhari Campaign Organisation has reacted to the endorsement of Atiku Abubakar by Olusegun Obasanjo.
The Buhari Campaign Organisation has launched an immediate attack on former President Obasanjo for declaring his support for PDP’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, who he hosted in his residence in Abeokuta, Ogun state on Thursday.
Read the statement in full below;
“Our attention has just been drawn to the so-called endorsement of the candidate of the Peoples’ Democratic Party for the forthcoming 2019 Presidential Election, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, by former President Olusegun Obasanjo today at his Presidential Library Complex in Ogun State.
We are inclined to dismiss this gathering and “endorsement” as a complete non-event, but we feel we have a responsibility to Nigerians to remind them of the character and antecedents of these individuals, lest they take Nigerians for granted and see all of us as fools.
We do not intend to dwell on all the unprintable things touching on the lack of character, lack of integrity and corruptibility of Alhaji Atiku Abubakar that Chief Obasanjo has repeatedly and consistently told the whole world about up until few weeks ago. These are well-documented and circulated for Nigerians to remember.
However, we are bemused and amused that a character who intends to be President of Nigeria has, for the past eleven years, consistently begged for “forgiveness” from a man who has consistently and unequivocally called him a very corrupt fellow. We wonder what type of character would not vigorously confront his accuser with facts to show his innocence, but would rather consistently ask for “forgiveness” from him.
The desperation to get the endorsement of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo by the PDP and its candidate is a clear sign that they want to return us to our sordid past where a few people decide who should govern us. In 2014/2015, President Muhammadu Buhari and his team, out of respect and convention, paid courtesy calls on prominent individuals and statesmen in the course of their campaigns when they visited cities in which these individuals lived.
However, Nigerians should note that President Buhari was NEVER reported to have groveled and “begged” ANYONE for forgiveness, just to be endorsed as a Presidential candidate. Ultimately, he relied on the people of Nigeria to decide his fate. President Buhari would continue to rely on the endorsement of the people of Nigeria to be re-elected.
Interestingly, just a few weeks ago, specifically on the 4th of August, 2018, Chief Obasanjo was widely reported to have said “God will NEVER forgive me if I support Atiku for President”. Whilst we acknowledge the constitutional right of the ex-president to support anyone of his choice, we draw attention of all God-fearing Nigerians to a character who would use the name of God in vain and in a flip-flop manner in just a matter of weeks. Where is the shame? Where is the honour? Where is the pride?
When a person invokes the curse of God upon himself if he does a particular thing, like Obasanjo has done, and then deliberately does that particularly thing and calls on Nigerians to follow him to receive his curse, Nigerians must flee in the opposite direction. We urge Nigerians NOT to follow this character to receive the curse he invoked upon himself.
We are also constrained to ask Chief Obasanjo about his Coalition For Better Nigeria, otherwise known as Third Force. We hope it is doing well.
We also note with interest the full participation of some “men of God” in the entourage of the Peoples’ Democratic Party for this political re-alignment. We are glad that they have publicly declared their partisan interest and urge all Nigerians to see all their previous, present and future attacks on President Buhari from their pulpits in the context of partisan politics and not in the context of nationalistic or altruistic commitment. We wish them well.
Finally, we see this gathering as a confederate of desperate power-mongers and questionable characters who wish to return us to the era of unbridled corruption. It is significant that the meeting was held in a building which has become the symbol of corruption of the Obasanjo years, where a sitting President collected monies from known government hangers-on and contractors to build a “Presidential Library” in clear violation of the Code of Conduct for Public Officers.
We hope President Obasanjo would one day return Governor Ayo Fayose’s Ten Million Naira to that building as Fayose has requested. It is a significant reminder of the difference between the past and the present.
Nigerians would soon be called upon to choose between returning us to the era of corrupt Presidents and their deputies or continuing on this path of transparency and people-oriented Government.
FESTUS KEYAMO, SAN, FCIArb (UK)
Director, Strategic Communications,
President Muhammadu Buhari Campaign Organisation
Latest Nigeria News
- Mom and daughter reunited after 2-year separation
- FG panel probes David Mark’s offshore assets
- Nigeria’s first gold refinery to be completed June 2019
- I’m glad Senate didn’t confirm me – EFCC boss, Magu
- Afenifere, Ohanaeze back 71 Reps’ bill seeking parliamentary govt
- Kanye West Demands Apology from Drake for ‘Sneak Diss’ and Gets This
- Okorocha presents budget of N276bn for 2019
- BREAKING: SDP scribe, Gabam, becomes Duke’s presidential running mate
- Sowore to sue Channels TV boss for excluding him from debate
- Checkout The Awesome Official Wedding Photos Of Nollywood Actor, Frankincense And His Wife
- Female NYSC Corps Member Reportedly Dies Of Typhoid
- Graphic Photos Of Swiss Park Hotel Manager Shot Dead By Gunmen In Anambra
- I Stabbed Her All Over Untill She Died – Man Confesses As Court Sentences Him To Death In Plateau
- Nigerian Football Legend, Kanu Nwankwo Spotted With Brazilian Legend, Ronaldinho (Photos)
- Maradona’s new girlfriend kicks him out of home he bought for her
- 2018 Soundcity MVP awards: Davido, Tiwa Savage, Yemi Alade, others top nomination list
- Mourinho orders Man United players to train on Christmas Day
- BREAKING: APC postpones governorship campaign in Kwara, cites insecurity
- We didn’t endorse Buhari for second term – CAN
- APC, PDP Reps clash over unsigned electoral bill
- Champions League: Mourinho says ‘nothing’ surprised him about Valencia defeat
- Shame To Stingy People – Father Mbaka Attacks Peter Obi Again Despite Apology
- JUST IN: He Is Back From ISRAEL! The Crowd Is Massive
- Sex in car is criminal, Lagos Police counters Abayomi Shogunle
- UK parliament upholds vote of confidence in Theresa May
- UCL: Scoreline flatters Man Utd in Valencia defeat
- Heartbreaking: Serving NYSC Member Dies While Traveling To His PPA In Kano (Photos)
- FG Forcing PDP Governors To A Secret Deal – Uche Secondus Raises Alarm
- How I Wanted Breast Implants, Plastic Surgery – Nwankwo Kanu’s Wife Opens Up
- JUST IN: Theresa May tells party she plans to quit before 2022 election
- Agbaje is my ‘egbon’, I expect decency from him – Sanwo-Olu
- BREAKING: Atiku, Ezekwesili sign peace pact today
- Kim Jong Un’s step-grandmother dies
- Facebook Headquarters At Silicon Valley Evacuated Following Bomb Threat
- Famous Footballer’s Wife Breaks Down In Tears As Husband’s Team Is Eliminated From Champions League
- BREAKING : Theresa May Faces Vote Of No Confidence, May Lose Position as UK Prime Minister
- JUST IN: ASUU Strike may end on Monday (Details Inside)
- Poly lecturers (ASUP) begin nationwide strike today
- True Story Of Shamed Couple Caught Making Love In The Car Revealed (Photos)
- ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT: “Impact Of Bullets On Mbaka’s Car Is There For All To See That It Is Real”