The Catalan giants have not kept a league clean sheet since they beat Real Vallalodid in their second game of the seasonBarcelona conceded a goal for the 10th consecutive La Liga fixture after Real Betis’ Junior Firpo struck in the 20th minute on Sunday, their worst defensive run in 20 years.
You have to go back to 1998 when Louis van Gaal was in charge at Camp Nou for a longer run of games without a clean sheet. Back then, the Catalan giants conceded in 12 matches in a row, so if Barca concede in their next two league fixtures against Atletico Madrid and Villarreal, they will equal that record.
Although they have had a strong start to the current campaign and top the league table, the Catalan giants have not shut a team out since the second game of the season. They beat Alaves 3-0 on the opening day and saw off Real Valladolid 1-0 a week later, but have been forced to rely on their goal scoring ability since.
Their next opponents, Atletico, have scored in each of their last six La Liga outings, although Valladolid have been less impressive in front of goal having netted only nine times in the league so far.
Should Barca concede in both games, however, they will have to keep a clean sheet in the derby against Espanyol to avoid beating the run of Van Gaal’s side.
Despite that leaky defensive run in the league, Barca kept Inter Milan out with a 2-0 win at home in the Champions League on October 24.
That, added to the 4-0 win over PSV on September 18, is the only time Barca have kept a clean sheet since the clash with Valladolid.
They did come close to repeating the trick against Inter at San Siro last week, but an 87th minute Mauro Icardi goal blemished their record.
The Spanish champions did manage to shut out Cultural Leonesa in their Copa del Rey clash on October 31 though.
Their stumble out of the blocks against Betis ensured that they were playing catch-up throughout, with an eventful game seeing them breached at regular intervals.
Latest Nigeria News
- Wizkid Cautions Bodyguard After He Hit His Fans At His Show (Video)
- Why My Marriage To Olu Jacobs Has Lasted – Joke Silva
- Georgia’s first female president sworn in
- Theresa May clashes with Blair over Brexit
- Struggling Southampton ends Arsenal’s unbeaten run
- One Killed As Container Falls On Two Cars In Ikeja, Lagos (Photos)
- IBB Salutes Buhari At 76th Birthday
- I Can Afford Whatever I Want, I Don’t Live A Fake Life – Nollywood Actress, Angela Okorie
- My Family Never Wanted Me To Marry OJB – 3rd Wife, Korede Finally Opens Up
- Drama As Robber Is Given A Bottle Of Beer To Drink After Being Caught In Bayelsa (Photos)
- APC Begs Buhari NOT To Participate In Presidential Debate
- I’m afraid of fetish people –Asa
- Biafra: IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu Suspends Live Broadcast
- INEC raises the alarm over PVC’s cloning in Imo
- Metele attack: Presidency, Atiku clash over Buhari’s absence at soldiers’ burial
- Anambra FRSC sector commander dies in crash
- Atiku pledges to revisit Jonathan’s confab report
- #2019Debate: Orji Kalu Reacts To Osinbajo’s Performance
- Charlyboy weds wife in church after 40 years
- Eleven die after eating ‘toxic’ rice
- REVEALED: How Buhari Got N260,000 Bank Loan To Build First House As Head Of State
- How Nigerian Doctors Almost Cut Off My Leg – Nollywood Actress, KC Ejelonu
- Full List Of House Of Reps Members Not Returning To National Assembly In 2019
- Vigilante Member, ‘Scorpion’ Who Died During IPOB Rally In Abia, Buried (Photos)
- Evil Woman Murders Neighbour’s 2-year-old Son, Dumps Corpse In Toilet To Punish Dad (Photos)
- ‘Small Waist’ Actress, Princess Shyngle Opens Up On Alleged Suicide Attempt
- How My Husband Killed Our Four Children And Himself – Grieving Woman Breaks Silence
- FACT CHECK: Verifying Osinbajo, Peter Obi’s Claims At Vice Presidential Debate
- Salah Clinches BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2018
- Fani-Kayode hails Peter Obi for knocking out Osinbajo, others
- Saraki Reacts To Peter Obi’s Performance At VP Debate. Ogundamisi Laughs
- Osinbajo, Obi, others differ over economy, subsidy regime
- CAF awards: Musa shunned, Iwobi makes final shortlist
- 2019 elections: US says violence looms in Nigeria
- Popular Nollywood actor, Ifeanyi Gbulie dead
- Paul Okoye Of Psquare Announces Change Of Name
- #2019Debate: Nigeria lost four million jobs in six months – Peter Obi
- BREAKING: Sowore’s supporters storm debate venue, protest exclusion
- #2019Debate: Osinbajo blames PDP for poor economy
- BREAKING: Military suspends UNICEF activities in North-East