Manchester City sealed the derby bragging rights as they defeated Manchester United 3-1 at the Etihad Stadium.Manchester City had little difficulty beating bitter rivals Manchester United 3-1 in Sunday’s derby, as David Silva, Sergio Aguero and Ilkay Gundogan scored to leave Jose Mourinho’s side 12 points adrift of the pacesetters.
Mourinho – managing his 300th Premier League match – was handed a pre-match blow in the shape of a Paul Pogba injury and United sorely missed his presence in midfield, as Pep Guardiola’s men claimed victory without hitting top gear.
A breathless City opening soon dissipated after David Silva gave them an early lead, but Sergio Aguero blasted them further ahead three minutes into the second half.
An Anthony Martial penalty handed United a lifeline, but City’s win rarely looked in danger and Gundogan wrapped things up late on.
City’s 12th-minute opener was the least they deserved for a fluid start, as David Silva fired past David de Gea from close range after Bernardo Silva had knocked Raheem Sterling’s delivery back across goal.
United improved slightly after falling behind, with Martial and Jesse Lingard looking bright, but clear-cut chances eluded them.
Chris Smalling went closest for United with a header which went comfortably over in the 26th minute, but otherwise the City defence was at ease in a first half of few highlights.
City looked reinvigorated at the start of the second and swiftly doubled their lead.
Aguero linked well with Riyad Mahrez on the edge of the box and sent a fierce strike beyond De Gea, who arguably could have done better.
Mourinho responded by introducing Romelu Lukaku from the bench and he made an immediate impact, getting hauled down by Ederson 30 seconds after coming on and Martial coolly dispatched the resulting spot-kick.
But City sealed the win four minutes from time, Gundogan slotting past De Gea after collecting Bernardo Silva’s right-wing cross at the conclusion of a move that featured 44 passes.
Latest Nigeria News
- Wizkid Cautions Bodyguard After He Hit His Fans At His Show (Video)
- Why My Marriage To Olu Jacobs Has Lasted – Joke Silva
- Georgia’s first female president sworn in
- Theresa May clashes with Blair over Brexit
- Struggling Southampton ends Arsenal’s unbeaten run
- One Killed As Container Falls On Two Cars In Ikeja, Lagos (Photos)
- IBB Salutes Buhari At 76th Birthday
- I Can Afford Whatever I Want, I Don’t Live A Fake Life – Nollywood Actress, Angela Okorie
- My Family Never Wanted Me To Marry OJB – 3rd Wife, Korede Finally Opens Up
- Drama As Robber Is Given A Bottle Of Beer To Drink After Being Caught In Bayelsa (Photos)
- APC Begs Buhari NOT To Participate In Presidential Debate
- I’m afraid of fetish people –Asa
- Biafra: IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu Suspends Live Broadcast
- INEC raises the alarm over PVC’s cloning in Imo
- Metele attack: Presidency, Atiku clash over Buhari’s absence at soldiers’ burial
- Anambra FRSC sector commander dies in crash
- Atiku pledges to revisit Jonathan’s confab report
- #2019Debate: Orji Kalu Reacts To Osinbajo’s Performance
- Charlyboy weds wife in church after 40 years
- Eleven die after eating ‘toxic’ rice
- REVEALED: How Buhari Got N260,000 Bank Loan To Build First House As Head Of State
- How Nigerian Doctors Almost Cut Off My Leg – Nollywood Actress, KC Ejelonu
- Full List Of House Of Reps Members Not Returning To National Assembly In 2019
- Vigilante Member, ‘Scorpion’ Who Died During IPOB Rally In Abia, Buried (Photos)
- Evil Woman Murders Neighbour’s 2-year-old Son, Dumps Corpse In Toilet To Punish Dad (Photos)
- ‘Small Waist’ Actress, Princess Shyngle Opens Up On Alleged Suicide Attempt
- How My Husband Killed Our Four Children And Himself – Grieving Woman Breaks Silence
- FACT CHECK: Verifying Osinbajo, Peter Obi’s Claims At Vice Presidential Debate
- Salah Clinches BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2018
- Fani-Kayode hails Peter Obi for knocking out Osinbajo, others
- Saraki Reacts To Peter Obi’s Performance At VP Debate. Ogundamisi Laughs
- Osinbajo, Obi, others differ over economy, subsidy regime
- CAF awards: Musa shunned, Iwobi makes final shortlist
- 2019 elections: US says violence looms in Nigeria
- Popular Nollywood actor, Ifeanyi Gbulie dead
- Paul Okoye Of Psquare Announces Change Of Name
- #2019Debate: Nigeria lost four million jobs in six months – Peter Obi
- BREAKING: Sowore’s supporters storm debate venue, protest exclusion
- #2019Debate: Osinbajo blames PDP for poor economy
- BREAKING: Military suspends UNICEF activities in North-East