The Presidential candidate of the People ’ s Democratic Party in the 2019 general elections, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar says his commitment is to fix the ailing Nigerian economy .
Atiku said this on Wednesday during a meeting with Igbo leaders in Enugu .
He said that he was worried about developments in the country as well as the future of the country and the legacies that would be left for generations unborn .
“ My commitment is to fix this country . I think of the future this country will have , if I do not struggle to fix it .
“ Our economy must be fixed and you can trust me and Mr Peter Obi to do it , ” he said .
The presidential candidate said that he was worried about the state of infrastructure in the South East , especially the condition of the Akanu Ibiam International Airport in Enugu .
“ I am always scared coming to Enugu because of the state of the runway of the airport . What does it take to fix the runway ? A local government council can fix it if they are made viable , ” he said .
Abubakar said that the issue of restructuring the country was already settled , adding that he would not be talking about it .
“ I am a product of a restructured Nigeria . So it is a settled issue, ” he said .
The former vice president said that the comments by some chieftains of the All Progressives Congress in favour of restructuring and state police were belated and deceitful.
“ Article 7 ( 2 ) of the Constitution of the APC says that the party believes in restructuring and state police but what have they done about this ?
“ We need to mobilise ourselves and vote for a ticket that will restructure Nigeria , ” he said .
Earlier , the President General of Ohaneze Ndigbo , Chief Nnia Nwodo decried the state of infrastructure in the zone .
Nwodo said that the South East had not been carried along in the scheme of things in the country , adding that appointments had been lopsided .
He said that the state of infrastructure at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport was worrisome .
Also speaking , President of the Senate , Dr Bukola Saraki said that the South East was very strategic to the economic growth of the country .
Saraki appealed to the people of the zone to take away their fears and support the candidate of the PDP .
“ The South East represents the assets of the country because we need entrepreneurs and hard work to grow our economy .
“ If this economy will grow, it must start from the South East. This is your election because Atiku wants to unite the country, ” Saraki said .
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the meeting was attended by chieftains of the PDP across the zone .
NAN reports that the meeting was preceded by a nonpartisan summit convened by elders , traditional and religious leaders tagged ‘ Ndigbo 2019 and Beyond Summit ’ .
A communiqué emanating from the summit and read by Mr Olisa Agbakoba states that the people of the zone identified with the Atiku / Obi ticket on the restructuring agenda .
( NAN )
Latest Nigeria News
- Wizkid Cautions Bodyguard After He Hit His Fans At His Show (Video)
- Why My Marriage To Olu Jacobs Has Lasted – Joke Silva
- Georgia’s first female president sworn in
- Theresa May clashes with Blair over Brexit
- Struggling Southampton ends Arsenal’s unbeaten run
- One Killed As Container Falls On Two Cars In Ikeja, Lagos (Photos)
- IBB Salutes Buhari At 76th Birthday
- I Can Afford Whatever I Want, I Don’t Live A Fake Life – Nollywood Actress, Angela Okorie
- My Family Never Wanted Me To Marry OJB – 3rd Wife, Korede Finally Opens Up
- Drama As Robber Is Given A Bottle Of Beer To Drink After Being Caught In Bayelsa (Photos)
- APC Begs Buhari NOT To Participate In Presidential Debate
- I’m afraid of fetish people –Asa
- Biafra: IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu Suspends Live Broadcast
- INEC raises the alarm over PVC’s cloning in Imo
- Metele attack: Presidency, Atiku clash over Buhari’s absence at soldiers’ burial
- Anambra FRSC sector commander dies in crash
- Atiku pledges to revisit Jonathan’s confab report
- #2019Debate: Orji Kalu Reacts To Osinbajo’s Performance
- Charlyboy weds wife in church after 40 years
- Eleven die after eating ‘toxic’ rice
- REVEALED: How Buhari Got N260,000 Bank Loan To Build First House As Head Of State
- How Nigerian Doctors Almost Cut Off My Leg – Nollywood Actress, KC Ejelonu
- Full List Of House Of Reps Members Not Returning To National Assembly In 2019
- Vigilante Member, ‘Scorpion’ Who Died During IPOB Rally In Abia, Buried (Photos)
- Evil Woman Murders Neighbour’s 2-year-old Son, Dumps Corpse In Toilet To Punish Dad (Photos)
- ‘Small Waist’ Actress, Princess Shyngle Opens Up On Alleged Suicide Attempt
- How My Husband Killed Our Four Children And Himself – Grieving Woman Breaks Silence
- FACT CHECK: Verifying Osinbajo, Peter Obi’s Claims At Vice Presidential Debate
- Salah Clinches BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2018
- Fani-Kayode hails Peter Obi for knocking out Osinbajo, others
- Saraki Reacts To Peter Obi’s Performance At VP Debate. Ogundamisi Laughs
- Osinbajo, Obi, others differ over economy, subsidy regime
- CAF awards: Musa shunned, Iwobi makes final shortlist
- 2019 elections: US says violence looms in Nigeria
- Popular Nollywood actor, Ifeanyi Gbulie dead
- Paul Okoye Of Psquare Announces Change Of Name
- #2019Debate: Nigeria lost four million jobs in six months – Peter Obi
- BREAKING: Sowore’s supporters storm debate venue, protest exclusion
- #2019Debate: Osinbajo blames PDP for poor economy
- BREAKING: Military suspends UNICEF activities in North-East