An Ikeja High Court on Thursday remanded an American citizen, Marco Ramirez, at Kirikiri Maximum Prison for allegedly defrauding three Nigerians in a $565,000 green card and investment scam.
Mr. Ramirez was remanded following his not-guilty plea to a 16-count charge of obtaining money under false presences. He was arraigned by the EFCC.
The EFCC prosecutor, V. O. Aigboje, alleged that the accused, managing director of three companies – USA Now Plc., Eagleford Instalodge Group and USA Now Capital Group – committed the offences between February 2013 and August 2013.
Mr. Aigboje said Mr. Ramirez fraudulently received $545,000 from Godson Echejue to invest in his company, Eagleford Instalodge Group, in order to procure an American green card (residence permit) for him (Echejue).
He also allegedly received $10,000 from Abubakar Umar through a non-existent investment programme in the U.S., which was billed to make Mr. Umar eligible to obtain an American passport.
The EFCC also accused Mr. Ramirez of illegally receiving $10,000 from one Olukayode Sodimu under the pretext that the funds were facilitation fees with the American Immigration Services for an American green card.
After Mr. Ramirez took his plea, Mr. Aigboje requested that he be taken from the custody of EFCC to prison custody. “There are no bed spaces available in the commission. I apply that the defendant be remanded in prison custody,” she said.
Chukwudi Maduka, the defence counsel, in his submission, requested that Mr. Ramirez be kept in the custody of EFCC and not in the custody of the Nigerian Prison Service.
Justice Josephine Oyefeso, however, rejected Mr. Maduka’s request and ordered that Mr. Ramirez be remanded in prison. “The proper place for remand is prison custody and I so order. The case is, hereby, adjourned to July 3 for hearing of the defendant’s bail application,” she said.
Latest Nigeria News
- President Buhari approves payment of Pension to Biafran Police
- President Muhammadu Buhari approves Boards for Education Agencies
- Allocation Breakdown of Sukuk Bound Proceeds for Road Projects in Six Geopolitical Zones
- Peter Okoye “Mr P” Does Not Have The ‘Psquare’ Voice That Recognise And Love
- Woman slams lady who claimed her baby picture and put it up on Instagram (LOL)
- Shocking! Grieving Husband catches male Nurse knacking his dead wife (See Photos)
- Nigerian Police Woman calls out the general public to stop criticising Policemen
- Tonto apologies to her friend for betraying her because of her ex-husband
- Funny Story of the Day: A Doctor and his confused Patient
- Guys, would you allow your sister or anyone you know attend this college?
- Question of the Day: Can you cash a cheque of One Million Naira in this Bank? (See photos)
- Letters From Young Obama Shows A Man Trying To Find His Way
- Trumps Health Subsidy Shutdown Could Lead To Free Insurance
- Donald Trump Pushes for Republican Senators to Pass $4.1 Trillion Budget Plan
- ‘Erecting a statue for Jacob Zuma shows how little President Buhari means to Okorocha” – Daniel Wilson, says
- This couple has been married for 10 years but have never had s€x
- Amazing transformation! Kenyan woman rescues her childhood friend who almost ran mad due to drug addiction (photos)
- +18…Ewww…Please Who’s Aunt Is This?
- Between Jude Okoye’s sister-in-law and Paul Okoye’s wife, Anita on Instagram
- Buhari approves payment of pension to Biafra war veterans
- Buhari Pictured With His Wife, Son And Daughter Aboard The Presidential Jet Enroute Turkey (Photo)
- ‘I Can Boast of N40million In Two of My Active Banks’ – Bobrisky Reminds Haters Of His Struggle
- Frank Ocean Wins $14.5 Million Libel Suit Against Him By His Estranged Father
- Couple Jailed For Kissing in Tunisia
- Multi Millionaire, Suji looks for a wife on Instagram before Christmas
- Fiction Lesson: The Erotic Dream Experience of Amaka with Jide
- 2Kay finds love again after his heart was broken by Gifty, EX-BBN naija Housemate
- Photos: Face of Nigeria Beauty Queen gets Engaged by General Overseer friend
- Two Brothers Strangle Father
- Wizkid Announced As Nominee For MOBO Awards
- Police has declared Davido free —Lawyer
- Ashley Young’s Incredible Man Utd Revival
- “I appreciate the love but I never said that” – Nicki Minaj clarifies her Statement from XXL Interview
- Adesuwa Etomi throws some advice about saving
- ‘Church Elder’ slaughter wife in Children’s presence and disposed her remains in the Bin
- Be careful of the Church you attend as an acclaimed Bishop is Jailed for Fraud
- Corp member allegedly shot dead by unknown Gunmen because of Phone
- 89 years old Lawyer defends His Marriage to a much Younger Lady
- Read the full biography of an enslaved great Biafran, Olaudah Equiano