A management source close to the banks who pleaded anonymity said in Lagos that there was no truth in the report making the round about the takeover of cash-trapped telecommunication company, Etisalat.
The consortium of 13 banks involved in Etisalat Nigeria loan on Thursday refuted reports that they have taken over the operations of the company.
A management source close to the banks who pleaded anonymity said in Lagos that there was no truth in the report making the round.
The source said that the banks’ major interest was the loan repayment borrowed by the company and not takeover.
“We are not telecommunication companies, all we want is our money,” he said.
The source said that the company must pay back the loans in order not to jeopardise the economy, jobs, payment of dividends and depositors funds.
He stated that it was not only the banks that would suffer but billions of Nigerians, even the vendors, and distributors doing business with the company.
“We did not take over Etisalat as being insinuated, if we have taken over, it has to be registered with the CAC.
“They are still doing their business, they just want to weep up sentiment at the United Arab Emirates,” the source added.
He added that the company had about 20 million subscribers, adding that any interruption would affect many businesses, especially SMES. According to the source, the affected Nigerian banks are owed about $570m out of the $1.2bn syndicated loan with the balance being owed vendors and distributors, among others.
The source said that Etisalat wanted to pay only 10 per cent of the loan borrowed and requested that others should be written off as non-performing loan. He said that Etisalat wanted the consortium of banks to pay $50m out of $570m being owed, which the banks rejected.
The source added that the banks practically reduced the debt to between 20 per cent and 30 per cent at a discounted interest rate of six percent below the market rate which was rejected by Etisalat.
“All we are requesting is for the Federal Government to wade into the issue and carry out due diligence on what the loan was used for.
“A foreign company cannot come and ride us in Nigeria, if this issue is not handled carefully, others will do the same thing,” the source said.
The source said that the company was avoiding negotiations which made the affected banks to fly to London earlier in the year to have a discussion with a company with its office in Nigeria.
He said that the company was advised earlier before naira devaluation to convert the foreign loans to local currency due to fall in oil price at the global market, which it also rejected.
UAE’s Etisalat had on June 20, said that it had been instructed to transfer its 45 per cent stake in Etisalat Nigeria to a loan trustee. Etisalat said it had been notified to transfer its stake by June 23. It said the stake had a carrying value of zero on its books.
In the last few months, Etisalat Nigeria has been in talks with Nigerian banks to restructure a $1.2bn loan after missing repayments. The loan is a seven-year facility agreed with 13 banks in 2013 to refinance a $650m and fund expansion of the telco’s network.
Although the Nigerian Communications Commission and the Central Bank of Nigeria stepped into the fray to prevent a takeover by the banks, those discussions failed to produce an agreement on restructuring the debt.
Latest Nigeria News
- Fulani herdsmen carry AK 47 for self defence,its the same as carrying sticks-Umar
- Driver Loses Control And Dies After Policeman Shot Him For Refusing To Pay Bribe
- FIFA Sanctions Nigeria For Use of Ineligible Player, Award Match To Algeria
- BREAKING News: Petrol Tanker Falls on FESTAC Bridge, Destroy Cars as Fire Spreads (Photos)
- EXPOSED! 32 SARS Operatives Arrested For Robbery & Extortion In Abuja (Photo)
- Annie & 2Face Idibia’s First Daughter, Isabella Is Now A Big Girl As They Share Lovely Photos Of Her
- Fuji Icon, King Wasiu Ayinde Marshal (KWAM1) Loses 34yrs Old Daughter To Death In Canada
- “My Dear Friends If I Die, Pls Look For Me At Ajiwe Police Station”- Actress, April Joju Muse
- “Beware of Fake Past JAMB Question Papers” – JAMB Warns Candidates
- Neymar To Miss PSG Cup Tie After Returning To Brazil
- Nigeria’s Gold Medalist Sprinter, Chioma Ajunwa Becomes Asst. Commissioner Of Police (Photos)
- Russia Begins Its Partial Withdrawal From Syria
- Israel Intercepts Rocket Launched From Gaza, Responds With Tanks
- Abuja tailor sends 13-year-old son packing, because he thinks the boy has grown to take care of himself
- New Girlfriend alert? Davido and ‘girlfriend’ caught up in Gucci romance
- Bobrisky slams MC Galaxy for refusing to honor their meeting with the Police
- ‘My life changed the day I met you’ – Pregnant’ Khloe Kardashian plants a kiss on beau Tristan Thompson
- Lady reportedly stabs step-sister for refusing to dropout of school in Delta State (Graphic Photos)
- Man sells daughter and neighbour’s child to raise funds for father in law’s burial
- ‘We should also leave #EndSARS and slavery for God’ -Daddy Freeze replies Obiwon
- Herdsmen attack women who refused to be raped in Lagos
- Between Dolaponi Oni and follower who says she should take her husband to the gym
- Exclusive Proof Of Bobrisky Being Thrown Over The Gate During His Arrest Like A Criminal (Photos)
- Imo House Of Assembly Crisis Deepens
- “How APC Promised and Failed” – Atiku Delivers Powerful Address at PDP National Convention (Full Speech)
- Buhari’s Ministers Are Unhappy – Kukah
- President Buhari Arrives France (Photos)
- “I Started My Ministry With A Cloth” – Stylish COZA Pastor, Biodun Fatoyinbo Shares His Story
- “I Cannot Date You, If You Don’t Drive A Ferrari” — Nigerian Lady Reveals
- After 5 Abortions, Masturbation, Born Again Ex-prostitute Marks 3 Months Of No Sex (Photos)
- ‘I Would Go Naked For N45Million’- Big Brother Naija 2018 Prospective Housemate Says; Charass, Dennis Okike Auditions
- Buhari has finished Nigeria,he should stop blaming Jonathan-Saraki
- Mc Galaxy gives Bobrisky’s former gate-man N400k for his father’s medical bill
- Actress Nkechi Emmanuel ‘Nurse Titi’ of Clinic Matters weds fiance
- Pastor butchered by unknown assassins last night in Abeokuta (Graphic photos)
- Girl wraps herself in Christmas lights, almost gets electrocuted
- Timaya bags Grammy nomination
- After partying with him, Drake shares photo of Tekno in his studio!
- ‘She’s brought us closer’ – Cristiano Ronaldo’s girlfriend, Georgina introduces their daughter
- Flavour parties with his daughters at the US Consular General’s House (Photos)