The Ijaw Youth Council has kicked against military operations in the South-east and South-south geopolitical zones as it threatens the fundamental human rights of citizens.
Ijaw Youths from the Nine States of the Niger Delta region, yesterday, described as “condemnable” and sad the attack on the home of the leader of the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu in Umuahia, Abia State by suspected military officers which led to the loss of lives last Sunday.
The Ijaw youths, under the aegis of the Ijaw Youth Council (IYC) worldwide, said the deployment of the military troops to the Niger Delta and South East regions under the security operation known as Crocodile Smile or Python Dance will not solve the rising agitations.
The IYC, in the Statement issued yesterday via email and signed by the President, Barr Eric Omare, stated that “It is condemnable the attack on the home of the leader of the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu in Umuohia, Abia State by suspected military officers which led to the loss of lives and many injured in the last hours of Sunday, September 10, 2017.
“The picture of those killed and injured tells a very sad story about the engagement of the military with IPOB members. It amounts to gross violation of human rights for Nigerians to be indiscriminately shot and killed because of legitimate agitation for justice.
“The deployment troops whether as operation crocodile smile or python dance is not the solution to the Niger Delta and Igbo agitations. The agitations are about quest for equity and fairness in the affairs of Nigerian and cannot be silence through the barrel of gun. In the first place, it was totally unnecessary and insensitive for the military to launch operation python dance in the south east considering the prevailing atmosphere in the region.”
“ The activities of the members of IPOB have been civil and orderly hence can be controlled by the regular mobile police rather than the military. The IYC is not surprised with the turn of events in the south east because from our experience in the Niger Delta, the deployment of the military always carries tales of sorry and pains as experienced in Igbo nation now”.
“We call on President Buhari to bring to justice the perpetrators of the killings in the south east, withdraw the military officers and bring to a halt the operation python dance in the south east. The IPOB demand for self-determination, just like that of the Niger Delta and other parts of the country cannot be stopped with the dance of a python but only through justice and equity through a restructured Nigeria that guarantees the different parts of the country the right to develop at their pace. Therefore neither the dance of a python nor the smile of a crocodile would quell the agitations”.
Latest Nigeria News
- Trump meeting with Putin a ‘historic mistake,’ – ex-National Security Adviser
- Suicide bomber attacks Kabul airport leaves 14 dead, 60 wounded
- Prepare to go! – PDP tells Buhari
- Tiwa Savage and ex-husband, TeeBlizz Shares Lovely Photos of Son Jamil As He Turns Three
- Real Madrid Star, Gareth Bale Calls Off Wedding With Childhood Sweetheart….. See Why
- UNIZIK Final Year Student Dies Moments Before His Last Paper While Playing Basketball
- Four SARS operatives dismissed, arraigned for robbery, kidnapping
- PDP will win Osun governorship election, says Babatope
- Watch Hilarious Video Of A Grandmom Trying To Convince Her Granddaughter To buy Her Beer
- ????Man Release His Chats With Pretty Lady Who Agreed To Sleep With Him & Cousin For N50k (Photo)
- I’m Richer & more Successful – Harrysong Blasts Tunde Ednut, He Fired Back, ‘Humble Yourself (Photos)
- It Was Hard For My Parents To Accept I’m A Lesbian – Charly Boy’s Daughter, Dewy Opens Up
- Read What Messi Just Told Barcelona About Eden Hazard
- Flying Eagles Qualify For AFCON 2018
- Why I Can Act In Films Like Glamour Girls Despite Being A Pastor – Eucharia Anunobi
- More Photos From #BBNaija’s Tobi and Alex #Tolex Homecoming In Ogun state
- Israel set for nationwide strike over gay surrogacy ban
- PDP Resolves to Change Name Ahead of 2019 Election
- BREAKING: Davido’s Uncle, Senator Ademola Adeleke Emerges Osun PDP Governorship Candidate
- Loved-Up Engaged Couple, Justin Bieber And Hailey Baldwin Make Out In Miami Restaurant (Photos)
- “Only God Gives Hits To Musicians” – Korede Bello Replies Fan Who Shames His Music Career
- Political Aspirant, Hon. Bibi Oweifa Kidnapped In Bayelsa Ahead Of Defection To APC (Photos)
- Comedian, Ajebo Gets Emotional At His White Wedding Ceremony (Photos+Video)
- Thrilling Photos Of Fun Seeking Ladies Enjoyng Themselves @ A Benin Nightclub
- My Embarrassing Moment Was When My Pants Got Torn While On Movie Set – Actress, Pat Ugwu
- Sergio Ramos Reveals who Madrid are planning to give Cristiano Ronaldo’s No.7 Jersey for new season
- JUST IN: Aspirants withdraw from Osun PDP primary poll as voting begins
- How We Successfully Abducted Chibok Schoolgirls In 2014 – Boko Haram Commanders
- Slay Queen Travels From Abuja To ‘Lagos’ To Have Fun With A Guy But What She Met Is Unbelievable (Photos)
- New Method Fraudsters Use To Scam Nigerians Through POS Machines (Video)
- Pressure To Impress Fans Push Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives – Saidi Balogun
- 19-year-old Tailor Murders His 35-year-old Pregnant Sister In Borno
- Kidnappers Think My Son Sends Millions To Me – Mikel Obi’s Father Makes Shocking Revelation
- How Phone Call Caused This Terrible Multiple Accident In Front Of Uyo Stadium (Photos)
- Actress Angela Okorie Dragged By Production Crew For Abandoning Movie Set During Shoot
- Giving Birth To More Than 5 Children Can Lead To Disease At Old Age
- Obasanjo hiring tired players to continue his ‘third term’ agenda –Oshiomhole
- Ekiti election: Vote-buying as bad as rigging, says UK
- 155 out of 230 Nigerians Stranded In Russia Are Back (Photos)
- Nigerians Come For ACP Yomi Shogunle After He Reacted To Viral Video Of Ghanaian Police Brutality