President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday in Kaduna inaugurated Africa’s biggest hatchery and feed mill constructed by Olam Grains at the cost of over 150 million dollars.
Buhari, who inaugurated the company, had his speech read by Minister of Agriculture, Dr Audu Ogbeh.
He described Olam as one of the largest agro-based companies in Africa and the biggest poultry investment in Nigeria. “We participated in the event because it is clear evidence that economic growth is taking place especially in the agricultural sector,” he said.
“It is in this connection that we must be able to feed ourselves from what we grow and grow what we eat before we can comfortably turn our attention to many other key concepts of our daily life.’’
The aim, he said, was to ensure that Nigerians have access to food, better life, and better hope for their future. According to him, the inauguration of the company is a testimony that growth is serious and lasting growth is taking place in the economy.
The president stressed that with Nigeria exiting recession, the country has become a safe haven for investors. He said the establishment of the company was a testimony that the country’s agricultural policies were working.
– Advertisement –
The president said the Federal Government has in the last two years made agriculture a profitable venture in Nigeria, attracting investments from within and outside the country.
He noted that new jobs were being created daily for the teaming youth and the economy has started booming again due to policy intervention in the agricultural sector which focused on internal growth and ending food imports.
“We have achieved so much in reducing rural-urban drift, we are beginning to witness reverse migration from the city to villages to engage in agriculture,’’ he added.
He challenged the company to patronise local maize farmers to encourage sustainable growth.
This he said, was necessary to build capacity of local people, create jobs, ensure wellbeing of the people and reduce crime. On his part, Gov. Nasiru El-Rufai of Kaduna pledged that his administration would continue to encourage investors through favourable policies.
He advised political office holders and civil servants in the state to embrace farming. The governor stressed that the establishment of the company in the state create thousands of jobs through the value chain.
The company would employ 8,000 Nigerians and 200 veterinary doctors, and hatch 1.6 million day-old-chick weekly. It will process 180,000 tonnes of corn and 75,000 tonnes of soya beans to produce 360,000 tonnes of animal feeds yearly.
Latest Nigeria News
- TBoss Celebrates Kemen On His Birthday
- Caityln Jenner Confirms Daughter Kylie Jenner is Pregnant
- Psquare’s Elder Brother, Jude Okoye Welcome a Baby Girl With Wife
- ‘IPOB Remains Terrorist Group; European Union and United States of America Should Not Meddle In Our Affairs’ – Presidential Aide
- JUST IN: President Buhari Returns To Nigeria
- North Korea Vows To Shoot Down US Bombers
- Uche Ogbodo reveals her ex-husband has never called or seen their daughter
- Two men drug and rape 8-year-old girl to coma in Rivers State (Photo)
- English Premier League: No FA Action for Jose Mourinho
- The Igbos rebuilt their region after the war but North still has mud houses – Atiku on restructuring
- Photos: Woman Set Her Husband’s 10 Year Old Brother Ablaze For Misplacing His Trouser
- Davido Shows Love To Wizkid’s Ex-girlfriend Justine Skye As Revenge For Using His Ex Sira Kante in his ‘Come Closer’ Video
- Suspect Arrested for Stealing Meat from the Refrigerator of a Priest
- Edison Cavani rejects €1million from PSG owner to hand over penalty duties to Neymar
- 15-year-old pupil mysteriously disappears on way to school in Ogun
- Comedian Buchi welcomes Child in the U.S with Wife
- Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her (Photo)
- FINALLY! Psquare Officially Split Up, Court Papers For Separation Allegedly Sent In
- Thief Caught Stealing Meat in Priest’s Kitchen Paraded (Photo)
- JUST IN: Ghana Thrash Nigeria 4-1 To Win WAFU Cup
- German Elections 2017: Angela Merkel Wins Fourth Term
- Watch World’s Richest Man Bill Gates Speak Nigerian Pidgin English For First Time
- Surprising Reason Cultists Killed Their Own Leader in Lagos
- ‘A woman that willingly offers herself to a man knowing fully well he’s married, can kill’ – Reno Omokri
- Photos From The Glo Mega Music Tour In Festac
- Kiss Daniel Was Annoyed With His DJ and Live Band Members At The Glo Mega Music Tour (See Reasons)
- Twitter Story: My Wife Did A New Hairstyle, 24hrs Later, Our Househelp Did Exact Same Style
- 5-year-old suspended for making ‘terroristic threats’ against school
- ‘Don Jazzy is impotent. After several hot unprotected sex with him I still can’t get pregnant’ – Lady claims
- Dwayne Johnson ‘The Rock’ Had This To Say When He Met Man Born With One Arm And No Legs
- 15-year-old Boy Caught Having S£x With Goat in Niger
- Nnamdi Kanu Missed The Target – Bishop Mike Okonkwo
- See Photos: New Crowned Prince of Benin Kingdom Unveiled
- Biafra: It’s Too Late To Pull Out Of Nigeria – Igbo Lawmaker
- Photos: Man’s Penis chopped off by Scorned Lover (See Reason why)
- ‘I’m On My Own’ – Peter Okoye Confirms P-Square Split [Watch Video]
- We Must Guard Against Separating Nigeria Into Small Pieces, Tinubu Warns
- Tiwa Savage Gets Rare Twitter Shout-out From British Rock Band, Coldplay
- Police Go After Peace Corps Members, Arrest 34