President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday in Kaduna inaugurated Africa’s biggest hatchery and feed mill constructed by Olam Grains at the cost of over 150 million dollars.
Buhari, who inaugurated the company, had his speech read by Minister of Agriculture, Dr Audu Ogbeh.
He described Olam as one of the largest agro-based companies in Africa and the biggest poultry investment in Nigeria. “We participated in the event because it is clear evidence that economic growth is taking place especially in the agricultural sector,” he said.
“It is in this connection that we must be able to feed ourselves from what we grow and grow what we eat before we can comfortably turn our attention to many other key concepts of our daily life.’’
The aim, he said, was to ensure that Nigerians have access to food, better life, and better hope for their future. According to him, the inauguration of the company is a testimony that growth is serious and lasting growth is taking place in the economy.
The president stressed that with Nigeria exiting recession, the country has become a safe haven for investors. He said the establishment of the company was a testimony that the country’s agricultural policies were working.
– Advertisement –
The president said the Federal Government has in the last two years made agriculture a profitable venture in Nigeria, attracting investments from within and outside the country.
He noted that new jobs were being created daily for the teaming youth and the economy has started booming again due to policy intervention in the agricultural sector which focused on internal growth and ending food imports.
“We have achieved so much in reducing rural-urban drift, we are beginning to witness reverse migration from the city to villages to engage in agriculture,’’ he added.
He challenged the company to patronise local maize farmers to encourage sustainable growth.
This he said, was necessary to build capacity of local people, create jobs, ensure wellbeing of the people and reduce crime. On his part, Gov. Nasiru El-Rufai of Kaduna pledged that his administration would continue to encourage investors through favourable policies.
He advised political office holders and civil servants in the state to embrace farming. The governor stressed that the establishment of the company in the state create thousands of jobs through the value chain.
The company would employ 8,000 Nigerians and 200 veterinary doctors, and hatch 1.6 million day-old-chick weekly. It will process 180,000 tonnes of corn and 75,000 tonnes of soya beans to produce 360,000 tonnes of animal feeds yearly.
Latest Nigeria News
- Trump meeting with Putin a ‘historic mistake,’ – ex-National Security Adviser
- Suicide bomber attacks Kabul airport leaves 14 dead, 60 wounded
- Prepare to go! – PDP tells Buhari
- Tiwa Savage and ex-husband, TeeBlizz Shares Lovely Photos of Son Jamil As He Turns Three
- Real Madrid Star, Gareth Bale Calls Off Wedding With Childhood Sweetheart….. See Why
- UNIZIK Final Year Student Dies Moments Before His Last Paper While Playing Basketball
- Four SARS operatives dismissed, arraigned for robbery, kidnapping
- PDP will win Osun governorship election, says Babatope
- Watch Hilarious Video Of A Grandmom Trying To Convince Her Granddaughter To buy Her Beer
- ????Man Release His Chats With Pretty Lady Who Agreed To Sleep With Him & Cousin For N50k (Photo)
- I’m Richer & more Successful – Harrysong Blasts Tunde Ednut, He Fired Back, ‘Humble Yourself (Photos)
- It Was Hard For My Parents To Accept I’m A Lesbian – Charly Boy’s Daughter, Dewy Opens Up
- Read What Messi Just Told Barcelona About Eden Hazard
- Flying Eagles Qualify For AFCON 2018
- Why I Can Act In Films Like Glamour Girls Despite Being A Pastor – Eucharia Anunobi
- More Photos From #BBNaija’s Tobi and Alex #Tolex Homecoming In Ogun state
- Israel set for nationwide strike over gay surrogacy ban
- PDP Resolves to Change Name Ahead of 2019 Election
- BREAKING: Davido’s Uncle, Senator Ademola Adeleke Emerges Osun PDP Governorship Candidate
- Loved-Up Engaged Couple, Justin Bieber And Hailey Baldwin Make Out In Miami Restaurant (Photos)
- “Only God Gives Hits To Musicians” – Korede Bello Replies Fan Who Shames His Music Career
- Political Aspirant, Hon. Bibi Oweifa Kidnapped In Bayelsa Ahead Of Defection To APC (Photos)
- Comedian, Ajebo Gets Emotional At His White Wedding Ceremony (Photos+Video)
- Thrilling Photos Of Fun Seeking Ladies Enjoyng Themselves @ A Benin Nightclub
- My Embarrassing Moment Was When My Pants Got Torn While On Movie Set – Actress, Pat Ugwu
- Sergio Ramos Reveals who Madrid are planning to give Cristiano Ronaldo’s No.7 Jersey for new season
- JUST IN: Aspirants withdraw from Osun PDP primary poll as voting begins
- How We Successfully Abducted Chibok Schoolgirls In 2014 – Boko Haram Commanders
- Slay Queen Travels From Abuja To ‘Lagos’ To Have Fun With A Guy But What She Met Is Unbelievable (Photos)
- New Method Fraudsters Use To Scam Nigerians Through POS Machines (Video)
- Pressure To Impress Fans Push Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives – Saidi Balogun
- 19-year-old Tailor Murders His 35-year-old Pregnant Sister In Borno
- Kidnappers Think My Son Sends Millions To Me – Mikel Obi’s Father Makes Shocking Revelation
- How Phone Call Caused This Terrible Multiple Accident In Front Of Uyo Stadium (Photos)
- Actress Angela Okorie Dragged By Production Crew For Abandoning Movie Set During Shoot
- Giving Birth To More Than 5 Children Can Lead To Disease At Old Age
- Obasanjo hiring tired players to continue his ‘third term’ agenda –Oshiomhole
- Ekiti election: Vote-buying as bad as rigging, says UK
- 155 out of 230 Nigerians Stranded In Russia Are Back (Photos)
- Nigerians Come For ACP Yomi Shogunle After He Reacted To Viral Video Of Ghanaian Police Brutality