A man who claimed to be a farmer, Usman Jubril, has been arrested for allegedly vandalising a solar energy system installed in Government College, Ajara, Badagry, Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the drunken suspect was apprehended by operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps after he slept off at the scene of the crime.
The 22-year-old indigene of Maiduguri, Borno State, was arrested along with one Emeka Ugonna, who allegedly attempted to steal a car parked by the roadside at NEPA Quarters, Ikeja.
Some items, including a key and a magnet, were allegedly recovered from Ugonna.
Jubril, in an interview with our correspondent on Tuesday, confessed to the crime. He, however, said he acted under the influence of alcohol.
The father of two explained that he had gone to have fun on the premises of the school on September 2, after selling his goods.
He said, “I am a farmer and live in Ipokia, Ogun State. I took cassava and corn to Badagry, but I didn’t make enough sales. I took the goods to Seme, where I sold everything. I came back to Badagry in the evening to have fun.
“I bought three bottles of gin and went with them to the school to watch a football match. I drank everything and took 500ml tramadol. In drunken stupor, I threw a stone at the glass housing the solar system and it broke. I went inside the facility and slept off.
“I smoke Indian hemp, but that was the first time I would take alcohol. It was the drink that affected my faculty. I didn’t even know how I got to their (NSCDC) custody.”
But 20-year-old Ugonna, who hails from Abia State, said he was accosted when he wanted to look at the car mirror to know if a fez cap he used looked good on him.
He said, “On Sunday, August 26, I was walking along Ikeja GRA around 4.30pm, while some people were holding a party by the roadside. As I wanted to check my fez cap in the mirror of the car, a security man at the party called me.
“He accused me of being a car thief. The key they recovered from me is my brother’s apartment key. I live with him at the GRA. I don’t know how to drive. I am a bricklayer.”
The NSCDC Commandant in Lagos State, Tajudeen Balogun, said men of the command had received several complaints about the vandalism of solar energy facilities in some public schools in the state.
The commandant stated that timely intelligence report and cooperation of members of the public in the Badagry area facilitated Jubril’s arrest.
“We will continue to arrest vandals, as well as those that buy stolen government property. The two suspects will be arraigned after investigations.
“The command also recovered 3,000 litres of stolen petrol at Ijora Olopa on Thursday, September 7. The suspects ran away on sighting our anti-vandal team.
“Criminally-minded people are advised to engage themselves in lawful jobs,” Balogun added.
Latest Nigeria News
- Trump meeting with Putin a ‘historic mistake,’ – ex-National Security Adviser
- Suicide bomber attacks Kabul airport leaves 14 dead, 60 wounded
- Prepare to go! – PDP tells Buhari
- Tiwa Savage and ex-husband, TeeBlizz Shares Lovely Photos of Son Jamil As He Turns Three
- Real Madrid Star, Gareth Bale Calls Off Wedding With Childhood Sweetheart….. See Why
- UNIZIK Final Year Student Dies Moments Before His Last Paper While Playing Basketball
- Four SARS operatives dismissed, arraigned for robbery, kidnapping
- PDP will win Osun governorship election, says Babatope
- Watch Hilarious Video Of A Grandmom Trying To Convince Her Granddaughter To buy Her Beer
- ????Man Release His Chats With Pretty Lady Who Agreed To Sleep With Him & Cousin For N50k (Photo)
- I’m Richer & more Successful – Harrysong Blasts Tunde Ednut, He Fired Back, ‘Humble Yourself (Photos)
- It Was Hard For My Parents To Accept I’m A Lesbian – Charly Boy’s Daughter, Dewy Opens Up
- Read What Messi Just Told Barcelona About Eden Hazard
- Flying Eagles Qualify For AFCON 2018
- Why I Can Act In Films Like Glamour Girls Despite Being A Pastor – Eucharia Anunobi
- More Photos From #BBNaija’s Tobi and Alex #Tolex Homecoming In Ogun state
- Israel set for nationwide strike over gay surrogacy ban
- PDP Resolves to Change Name Ahead of 2019 Election
- BREAKING: Davido’s Uncle, Senator Ademola Adeleke Emerges Osun PDP Governorship Candidate
- Loved-Up Engaged Couple, Justin Bieber And Hailey Baldwin Make Out In Miami Restaurant (Photos)
- “Only God Gives Hits To Musicians” – Korede Bello Replies Fan Who Shames His Music Career
- Political Aspirant, Hon. Bibi Oweifa Kidnapped In Bayelsa Ahead Of Defection To APC (Photos)
- Comedian, Ajebo Gets Emotional At His White Wedding Ceremony (Photos+Video)
- Thrilling Photos Of Fun Seeking Ladies Enjoyng Themselves @ A Benin Nightclub
- My Embarrassing Moment Was When My Pants Got Torn While On Movie Set – Actress, Pat Ugwu
- Sergio Ramos Reveals who Madrid are planning to give Cristiano Ronaldo’s No.7 Jersey for new season
- JUST IN: Aspirants withdraw from Osun PDP primary poll as voting begins
- How We Successfully Abducted Chibok Schoolgirls In 2014 – Boko Haram Commanders
- Slay Queen Travels From Abuja To ‘Lagos’ To Have Fun With A Guy But What She Met Is Unbelievable (Photos)
- New Method Fraudsters Use To Scam Nigerians Through POS Machines (Video)
- Pressure To Impress Fans Push Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives – Saidi Balogun
- 19-year-old Tailor Murders His 35-year-old Pregnant Sister In Borno
- Kidnappers Think My Son Sends Millions To Me – Mikel Obi’s Father Makes Shocking Revelation
- How Phone Call Caused This Terrible Multiple Accident In Front Of Uyo Stadium (Photos)
- Actress Angela Okorie Dragged By Production Crew For Abandoning Movie Set During Shoot
- Giving Birth To More Than 5 Children Can Lead To Disease At Old Age
- Obasanjo hiring tired players to continue his ‘third term’ agenda –Oshiomhole
- Ekiti election: Vote-buying as bad as rigging, says UK
- 155 out of 230 Nigerians Stranded In Russia Are Back (Photos)
- Nigerians Come For ACP Yomi Shogunle After He Reacted To Viral Video Of Ghanaian Police Brutality