Brendan Rodgers claimed his Celtic side played like an under-12 side at times in their 5-0 thumping by Paris Saint-Germain at Parkhead on Tuesday night.
The world’s most expensive frontline did the damage in the first half of their Champions League Group B opener as Brazilian star Neymar opened the scoring in the 19th minute, 18-year-old French sensation Kylian Mbappe added a second in the 34th minute before Edinson Cavani netted with a penalty before the break.
The Scottish champions performed better after the break but in the latter stages Parkhead defender Mikael Lustig put through his own goal before Cavani grabbed his second with a clever header to hand the home side their record home defeat in Europe.
To add to their on-field woes, the Glasgow club may be in trouble again with UEFA after a fan came on to the pitch to aim a fresh-air kick at Mbappe before being escorted away by stewards, after Cavani had scored his penalty.
“This is a level where you have to look after the ball and you have to make it work for you,” Rodgers said.
“In the first half we didn’t do that, we were playing like under-12s at times.
“So like I say, it is confidence, belief. We are missing some decisive players as well who can help us at this level but it is always going to be very tough. That is the reality of it.
“I don’t want to be too harsh on the players. [PSG] are the potential champions of this tournament and where we are at, with all due respect, and where those guys are at, it is not just one or two levels, it is three or four levels away beyond.
“We always have to be competitive and we weren’t for that first period but the second half was much better and the supporters acknowledged that.”
Asked about the fan coming on to the pitch Rodgers said: “The crowd reaction said it all. It is disappointing at any ground that a supporter gets on to the pitch.
“I am sure the club will deal with that. It shouldn’t be anything that we should see on a football field. The crowd in their reaction told you everything you need to know.”
Meanwhile, PSG boss Unai Emery was pleased by his side’s start to the competition, insisting they showed a lot of character to beat Celtic at Celtic Park.
“I am really happy with the victory,” he said. “The most difficult thing here is to cope with the rhythm they play at, the intensity and of course with the support they have behind them.
“My team showed a lot of character and a very controlled approach to the game which I am very pleased at.
“We are pleased that we were in control with the ball and without the ball. I would like to stress that it was a team effort. So it is a mixture of happiness and calmness. We are really confident that we can continue on the journey we have set out on, it was good for confidence, it is a good step forward.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Trump meeting with Putin a ‘historic mistake,’ – ex-National Security Adviser
- Suicide bomber attacks Kabul airport leaves 14 dead, 60 wounded
- Prepare to go! – PDP tells Buhari
- Tiwa Savage and ex-husband, TeeBlizz Shares Lovely Photos of Son Jamil As He Turns Three
- Real Madrid Star, Gareth Bale Calls Off Wedding With Childhood Sweetheart….. See Why
- UNIZIK Final Year Student Dies Moments Before His Last Paper While Playing Basketball
- Four SARS operatives dismissed, arraigned for robbery, kidnapping
- PDP will win Osun governorship election, says Babatope
- Watch Hilarious Video Of A Grandmom Trying To Convince Her Granddaughter To buy Her Beer
- ????Man Release His Chats With Pretty Lady Who Agreed To Sleep With Him & Cousin For N50k (Photo)
- I’m Richer & more Successful – Harrysong Blasts Tunde Ednut, He Fired Back, ‘Humble Yourself (Photos)
- It Was Hard For My Parents To Accept I’m A Lesbian – Charly Boy’s Daughter, Dewy Opens Up
- Read What Messi Just Told Barcelona About Eden Hazard
- Flying Eagles Qualify For AFCON 2018
- Why I Can Act In Films Like Glamour Girls Despite Being A Pastor – Eucharia Anunobi
- More Photos From #BBNaija’s Tobi and Alex #Tolex Homecoming In Ogun state
- Israel set for nationwide strike over gay surrogacy ban
- PDP Resolves to Change Name Ahead of 2019 Election
- BREAKING: Davido’s Uncle, Senator Ademola Adeleke Emerges Osun PDP Governorship Candidate
- Loved-Up Engaged Couple, Justin Bieber And Hailey Baldwin Make Out In Miami Restaurant (Photos)
- “Only God Gives Hits To Musicians” – Korede Bello Replies Fan Who Shames His Music Career
- Political Aspirant, Hon. Bibi Oweifa Kidnapped In Bayelsa Ahead Of Defection To APC (Photos)
- Comedian, Ajebo Gets Emotional At His White Wedding Ceremony (Photos+Video)
- Thrilling Photos Of Fun Seeking Ladies Enjoyng Themselves @ A Benin Nightclub
- My Embarrassing Moment Was When My Pants Got Torn While On Movie Set – Actress, Pat Ugwu
- Sergio Ramos Reveals who Madrid are planning to give Cristiano Ronaldo’s No.7 Jersey for new season
- JUST IN: Aspirants withdraw from Osun PDP primary poll as voting begins
- How We Successfully Abducted Chibok Schoolgirls In 2014 – Boko Haram Commanders
- Slay Queen Travels From Abuja To ‘Lagos’ To Have Fun With A Guy But What She Met Is Unbelievable (Photos)
- New Method Fraudsters Use To Scam Nigerians Through POS Machines (Video)
- Pressure To Impress Fans Push Celebrities Into Living Fake Lives – Saidi Balogun
- 19-year-old Tailor Murders His 35-year-old Pregnant Sister In Borno
- Kidnappers Think My Son Sends Millions To Me – Mikel Obi’s Father Makes Shocking Revelation
- How Phone Call Caused This Terrible Multiple Accident In Front Of Uyo Stadium (Photos)
- Actress Angela Okorie Dragged By Production Crew For Abandoning Movie Set During Shoot
- Giving Birth To More Than 5 Children Can Lead To Disease At Old Age
- Obasanjo hiring tired players to continue his ‘third term’ agenda –Oshiomhole
- Ekiti election: Vote-buying as bad as rigging, says UK
- 155 out of 230 Nigerians Stranded In Russia Are Back (Photos)
- Nigerians Come For ACP Yomi Shogunle After He Reacted To Viral Video Of Ghanaian Police Brutality