Brendan Rodgers claimed his Celtic side played like an under-12 side at times in their 5-0 thumping by Paris Saint-Germain at Parkhead on Tuesday night.
The world’s most expensive frontline did the damage in the first half of their Champions League Group B opener as Brazilian star Neymar opened the scoring in the 19th minute, 18-year-old French sensation Kylian Mbappe added a second in the 34th minute before Edinson Cavani netted with a penalty before the break.
The Scottish champions performed better after the break but in the latter stages Parkhead defender Mikael Lustig put through his own goal before Cavani grabbed his second with a clever header to hand the home side their record home defeat in Europe.
To add to their on-field woes, the Glasgow club may be in trouble again with UEFA after a fan came on to the pitch to aim a fresh-air kick at Mbappe before being escorted away by stewards, after Cavani had scored his penalty.
“This is a level where you have to look after the ball and you have to make it work for you,” Rodgers said.
“In the first half we didn’t do that, we were playing like under-12s at times.
“So like I say, it is confidence, belief. We are missing some decisive players as well who can help us at this level but it is always going to be very tough. That is the reality of it.
“I don’t want to be too harsh on the players. [PSG] are the potential champions of this tournament and where we are at, with all due respect, and where those guys are at, it is not just one or two levels, it is three or four levels away beyond.
“We always have to be competitive and we weren’t for that first period but the second half was much better and the supporters acknowledged that.”
Asked about the fan coming on to the pitch Rodgers said: “The crowd reaction said it all. It is disappointing at any ground that a supporter gets on to the pitch.
“I am sure the club will deal with that. It shouldn’t be anything that we should see on a football field. The crowd in their reaction told you everything you need to know.”
Meanwhile, PSG boss Unai Emery was pleased by his side’s start to the competition, insisting they showed a lot of character to beat Celtic at Celtic Park.
“I am really happy with the victory,” he said. “The most difficult thing here is to cope with the rhythm they play at, the intensity and of course with the support they have behind them.
“My team showed a lot of character and a very controlled approach to the game which I am very pleased at.
“We are pleased that we were in control with the ball and without the ball. I would like to stress that it was a team effort. So it is a mixture of happiness and calmness. We are really confident that we can continue on the journey we have set out on, it was good for confidence, it is a good step forward.”
Latest Nigeria News
- TBoss Celebrates Kemen On His Birthday
- Caityln Jenner Confirms Daughter Kylie Jenner is Pregnant
- Psquare’s Elder Brother, Jude Okoye Welcome a Baby Girl With Wife
- ‘IPOB Remains Terrorist Group; European Union and United States of America Should Not Meddle In Our Affairs’ – Presidential Aide
- JUST IN: President Buhari Returns To Nigeria
- North Korea Vows To Shoot Down US Bombers
- Uche Ogbodo reveals her ex-husband has never called or seen their daughter
- Two men drug and rape 8-year-old girl to coma in Rivers State (Photo)
- English Premier League: No FA Action for Jose Mourinho
- The Igbos rebuilt their region after the war but North still has mud houses – Atiku on restructuring
- Photos: Woman Set Her Husband’s 10 Year Old Brother Ablaze For Misplacing His Trouser
- Davido Shows Love To Wizkid’s Ex-girlfriend Justine Skye As Revenge For Using His Ex Sira Kante in his ‘Come Closer’ Video
- Suspect Arrested for Stealing Meat from the Refrigerator of a Priest
- Edison Cavani rejects €1million from PSG owner to hand over penalty duties to Neymar
- 15-year-old pupil mysteriously disappears on way to school in Ogun
- Comedian Buchi welcomes Child in the U.S with Wife
- Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her (Photo)
- FINALLY! Psquare Officially Split Up, Court Papers For Separation Allegedly Sent In
- Thief Caught Stealing Meat in Priest’s Kitchen Paraded (Photo)
- JUST IN: Ghana Thrash Nigeria 4-1 To Win WAFU Cup
- German Elections 2017: Angela Merkel Wins Fourth Term
- Watch World’s Richest Man Bill Gates Speak Nigerian Pidgin English For First Time
- Surprising Reason Cultists Killed Their Own Leader in Lagos
- ‘A woman that willingly offers herself to a man knowing fully well he’s married, can kill’ – Reno Omokri
- Photos From The Glo Mega Music Tour In Festac
- Kiss Daniel Was Annoyed With His DJ and Live Band Members At The Glo Mega Music Tour (See Reasons)
- Twitter Story: My Wife Did A New Hairstyle, 24hrs Later, Our Househelp Did Exact Same Style
- 5-year-old suspended for making ‘terroristic threats’ against school
- ‘Don Jazzy is impotent. After several hot unprotected sex with him I still can’t get pregnant’ – Lady claims
- Dwayne Johnson ‘The Rock’ Had This To Say When He Met Man Born With One Arm And No Legs
- 15-year-old Boy Caught Having S£x With Goat in Niger
- Nnamdi Kanu Missed The Target – Bishop Mike Okonkwo
- See Photos: New Crowned Prince of Benin Kingdom Unveiled
- Biafra: It’s Too Late To Pull Out Of Nigeria – Igbo Lawmaker
- Photos: Man’s Penis chopped off by Scorned Lover (See Reason why)
- ‘I’m On My Own’ – Peter Okoye Confirms P-Square Split [Watch Video]
- We Must Guard Against Separating Nigeria Into Small Pieces, Tinubu Warns
- Tiwa Savage Gets Rare Twitter Shout-out From British Rock Band, Coldplay
- Police Go After Peace Corps Members, Arrest 34