A suicide bomber blew himself up at a checkpoint near the main cricket stadium in the Afghan capital of Kabul on Wednesday, killing at least three people as a tournament was under way, officials said.
Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danesh said two police and one civilian were killed and five people wounded. Local Tolo News Television quoted the Afghan Cricket Board as saying all players were safe.
The blast outside Kabul International Cricket Stadium took place during a match in Afghanistan’s Shpageeza Cricket League, a T20 franchise tournament on the lines of the Indian Premier League and similar 20-over tournaments.
A statement in Bosnian on Islamic State’s Amaq news agency said a suicide attack had been carried out on members of the Afghan security forces in Kabul, although it was not immediately clear whether the statement referred to the same incident.
The Shpageeza tournament, now in its fifth season, is one of a small number of Western-style sports competitions along with Afghan Premier League football that have grown up since a U.S.-led campaign toppled the Taliban in 2001. A small number of foreign players are also taking part in the competition.
Cricket, which spread from refugee camps in Pakistan, has become one of Afghanistan’s most popular sports and the national team has become increasingly successful, raising the profile of the game.
Latest Nigeria News
- TBoss Celebrates Kemen On His Birthday
- Caityln Jenner Confirms Daughter Kylie Jenner is Pregnant
- Psquare’s Elder Brother, Jude Okoye Welcome a Baby Girl With Wife
- ‘IPOB Remains Terrorist Group; European Union and United States of America Should Not Meddle In Our Affairs’ – Presidential Aide
- JUST IN: President Buhari Returns To Nigeria
- North Korea Vows To Shoot Down US Bombers
- Uche Ogbodo reveals her ex-husband has never called or seen their daughter
- Two men drug and rape 8-year-old girl to coma in Rivers State (Photo)
- English Premier League: No FA Action for Jose Mourinho
- The Igbos rebuilt their region after the war but North still has mud houses – Atiku on restructuring
- Photos: Woman Set Her Husband’s 10 Year Old Brother Ablaze For Misplacing His Trouser
- Davido Shows Love To Wizkid’s Ex-girlfriend Justine Skye As Revenge For Using His Ex Sira Kante in his ‘Come Closer’ Video
- Suspect Arrested for Stealing Meat from the Refrigerator of a Priest
- Edison Cavani rejects €1million from PSG owner to hand over penalty duties to Neymar
- 15-year-old pupil mysteriously disappears on way to school in Ogun
- Comedian Buchi welcomes Child in the U.S with Wife
- Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her (Photo)
- FINALLY! Psquare Officially Split Up, Court Papers For Separation Allegedly Sent In
- Thief Caught Stealing Meat in Priest’s Kitchen Paraded (Photo)
- JUST IN: Ghana Thrash Nigeria 4-1 To Win WAFU Cup
- German Elections 2017: Angela Merkel Wins Fourth Term
- Watch World’s Richest Man Bill Gates Speak Nigerian Pidgin English For First Time
- Surprising Reason Cultists Killed Their Own Leader in Lagos
- ‘A woman that willingly offers herself to a man knowing fully well he’s married, can kill’ – Reno Omokri
- Photos From The Glo Mega Music Tour In Festac
- Kiss Daniel Was Annoyed With His DJ and Live Band Members At The Glo Mega Music Tour (See Reasons)
- Twitter Story: My Wife Did A New Hairstyle, 24hrs Later, Our Househelp Did Exact Same Style
- 5-year-old suspended for making ‘terroristic threats’ against school
- ‘Don Jazzy is impotent. After several hot unprotected sex with him I still can’t get pregnant’ – Lady claims
- Dwayne Johnson ‘The Rock’ Had This To Say When He Met Man Born With One Arm And No Legs
- 15-year-old Boy Caught Having S£x With Goat in Niger
- Nnamdi Kanu Missed The Target – Bishop Mike Okonkwo
- See Photos: New Crowned Prince of Benin Kingdom Unveiled
- Biafra: It’s Too Late To Pull Out Of Nigeria – Igbo Lawmaker
- Photos: Man’s Penis chopped off by Scorned Lover (See Reason why)
- ‘I’m On My Own’ – Peter Okoye Confirms P-Square Split [Watch Video]
- We Must Guard Against Separating Nigeria Into Small Pieces, Tinubu Warns
- Tiwa Savage Gets Rare Twitter Shout-out From British Rock Band, Coldplay
- Police Go After Peace Corps Members, Arrest 34