Members of the House of Representatives from the south east geopolitical zone have declared that any military operation that frightens, maims or leads to loss of lives of citizens and property is unjustifiable.
They also stated that such operation was an offence to the principle democracy and the rule of law.
The federal lawmakers spoke on the heels of the Monday invasion of Afara Ukwu, Umuahia, Abia State, the home country of the leader of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu by a detachment of the Nigerian army where some fatalities were reported to have happened.
A statement signed by the Deputy Minority Leader and Leader South-East Caucus, House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Chukwuka Onyema on Wednesday called for caution in Abia State and the entire south east zone.
The legislators however expressed their support to a Seven -man Committee by the South East Governors to investigate the causes of the current conflict in Abia State.
The statement read in full: “The attention of the South East Caucus of the House of Representatives has been drawn to the reported fallout from the ongoing military show of force in the South East, code named Operation Python Dance II.
“Though without convincing explanations, we were informed that a few days ago, some civilians were shot and wounded as they clashed with soldiers at Afaraukwu Village in Umuahia, yet again we have received report of a military invasion of the Umuahia NUJ Office where journalists were molested and their equipment destroyed.
“As a result of the escalating tension, Abia State Governor had to impose a dust to dawn curfew in the commercial town of Aba.
“While we appreciate the right to discharge core duties of the Nigeria armed forces as spelt out under section 217 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), there is no gainsaying that internal military operations can only be conducted without doing violence to the constitutionally guaranteed fundamental human rights of citizens.
“To conduct operations that frighten, maim or lead to loss of lives of citizens and property, are clearly unjustifiable and an offence to our democracy and the rule of law.
“We therefore call for a de-escalation of “internal military operations” in Abia State and the South East as a whole, while urging our brothers and sisters at home to remain civil and law abiding.
“We wish to express our support to the reported setting up of a Seven -man Committee by the South East Governors to investigate the causes of the current conflict in Abia State.”
Latest Nigeria News
- TBoss Celebrates Kemen On His Birthday
- Caityln Jenner Confirms Daughter Kylie Jenner is Pregnant
- Psquare’s Elder Brother, Jude Okoye Welcome a Baby Girl With Wife
- ‘IPOB Remains Terrorist Group; European Union and United States of America Should Not Meddle In Our Affairs’ – Presidential Aide
- JUST IN: President Buhari Returns To Nigeria
- North Korea Vows To Shoot Down US Bombers
- Uche Ogbodo reveals her ex-husband has never called or seen their daughter
- Two men drug and rape 8-year-old girl to coma in Rivers State (Photo)
- English Premier League: No FA Action for Jose Mourinho
- The Igbos rebuilt their region after the war but North still has mud houses – Atiku on restructuring
- Photos: Woman Set Her Husband’s 10 Year Old Brother Ablaze For Misplacing His Trouser
- Davido Shows Love To Wizkid’s Ex-girlfriend Justine Skye As Revenge For Using His Ex Sira Kante in his ‘Come Closer’ Video
- Suspect Arrested for Stealing Meat from the Refrigerator of a Priest
- Edison Cavani rejects €1million from PSG owner to hand over penalty duties to Neymar
- 15-year-old pupil mysteriously disappears on way to school in Ogun
- Comedian Buchi welcomes Child in the U.S with Wife
- Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her (Photo)
- FINALLY! Psquare Officially Split Up, Court Papers For Separation Allegedly Sent In
- Thief Caught Stealing Meat in Priest’s Kitchen Paraded (Photo)
- JUST IN: Ghana Thrash Nigeria 4-1 To Win WAFU Cup
- German Elections 2017: Angela Merkel Wins Fourth Term
- Watch World’s Richest Man Bill Gates Speak Nigerian Pidgin English For First Time
- Surprising Reason Cultists Killed Their Own Leader in Lagos
- ‘A woman that willingly offers herself to a man knowing fully well he’s married, can kill’ – Reno Omokri
- Photos From The Glo Mega Music Tour In Festac
- Kiss Daniel Was Annoyed With His DJ and Live Band Members At The Glo Mega Music Tour (See Reasons)
- Twitter Story: My Wife Did A New Hairstyle, 24hrs Later, Our Househelp Did Exact Same Style
- 5-year-old suspended for making ‘terroristic threats’ against school
- ‘Don Jazzy is impotent. After several hot unprotected sex with him I still can’t get pregnant’ – Lady claims
- Dwayne Johnson ‘The Rock’ Had This To Say When He Met Man Born With One Arm And No Legs
- 15-year-old Boy Caught Having S£x With Goat in Niger
- Nnamdi Kanu Missed The Target – Bishop Mike Okonkwo
- See Photos: New Crowned Prince of Benin Kingdom Unveiled
- Biafra: It’s Too Late To Pull Out Of Nigeria – Igbo Lawmaker
- Photos: Man’s Penis chopped off by Scorned Lover (See Reason why)
- ‘I’m On My Own’ – Peter Okoye Confirms P-Square Split [Watch Video]
- We Must Guard Against Separating Nigeria Into Small Pieces, Tinubu Warns
- Tiwa Savage Gets Rare Twitter Shout-out From British Rock Band, Coldplay
- Police Go After Peace Corps Members, Arrest 34