Enugu State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Fintan Ekochin, has dismissed rumour making the rounds that there was a reported case of monkey pox in the state.
The commissioner said Enugu State has surveillance team, a set of officers distributed across the 17 local government areas of the state, whose job is to look out for diseases that we overlook.
“They are on duty everyday, since last year, since Ebola, they are on duty.
“They look out for yellow fever, lasava fever, Ebola, every kind of disease, including cholera, and they make report available immediately. So we have no reported outbreak of monkey pox in Enugu.”
Ekochin stated that the defence mechanism in the state is surveillance, which he said is continuous through disease notification officers at the local government areas.
“Again, we have the state epidemiologist who is a medical doctor in the Ministry of Health that coordinates all these people. So surveillance is steadily on which we do by ourselves or support from partners for advocacy whenever necessary,” said Ekochin
He noted that there has been only one established and confirmed case of monkey-pox in Nigeria in Bayelsa State, saying: “All these other ones you are hearing about are suspected cases. There is only one confirmed case of monkey pox in Nigeria and surveillance is going but we have no confirmed case of monkey pox in Enugu State.”
On the precautions against the disease, Ekochin advised people to maintain basic hygiene everywhere, at homes, offices and in handling animals as pets.
He said: “Let me tell you, the so called monkey-pox is caused by a virus similar to chicken-pox. Who is afraid of chicken pox? It’s there, it comes in seasons, depending on whether and temperature, it affects the children.
“So chicken-pox is a bigger thing to worry than monkey-pox. The virus that causes monkey-pox is very old. It’s an old disease, the last reported case was in the 70s. So it’s not a new disease that has made medical practitioners confused, no!
“There is no vaccine for monkey-pox and there is no specific drug treatment. However, it runs a natural cause that in most cases is not fatal. There is nothing to fear about money-pox.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Abducted Dapchi Girl, Leah Sharibu’s Mother, Others Sue FG, Claim N500m Damages
- Nigerians Cry Out For Help As Ghana Closes 400 Of Their Businesses
- Nigeria Might Slide Back To Recession – CBN
- Famous Actor, Will Smith Bungee Jumps Out Of Helicopter To Celebrate His 50th Birthday (Video)
- Minimum wage: NLC tells workers to begin strike Thursday
- FIFA Best Player award: Messi votes for Ronaldo
- Applicant dies during FRSC recruitment in Kogi
- Pastor Adeboye’s Son Reacts To Reports That He Called Osun Voters Fools
- FRSC Recruitment: Applicants To Be Disqualified If They Have The Following Deformity
- PDP Leadership Divided Over Venue For Presidential Primaries
- Pogba can never be Man United captain again —Mourinho
- Osun rerun: Fayemi visits Omisore
- #OsunDecides2018: PDP Claims Discovery Of Votes Deduction By INEC
- Why I Want My Son-in-law To Be Next Kano Governor – Kwankwaso
- Billionaire Businessman, Femi Otedola Spotted With FIFA President In London (Photo)
- Osun Election: INEC Speaks On Staff Caught ‘Altering’ Results, Admits Error In Vote Collation
- Super Eagles Legend, Kanu Nwankwo And Wife Meet With Didier Drogba In London (Photos)
- FG Finally Reveals Why Nigeria Air Was Suspended
- 3 Lagos Hospitals Could Not Save Her – Ras Kimono’s Stepson Reveals How His Mother Died
- Fears Over ‘Killer’ Palm Oil In Nigeria
- FIFA to reintroduce agent licences
- BREAKING: UN chief warns of ‘chaotic’ world order as General Assembly opens
- Jubilation As Notorious Kidnapper Is Captured By Police In Imo State
- Death Toll Hits 108, As Flood Displaces 441,251 People
- Luka Modric Wins FIFA #TheBest Footballer Of The Year Award (See Best 11)
- Davido Buys The Latest Iphone XS for His Crew (Photos)
- Labour Set For Nationwide Strike Over Delayed Minimum Wage
- Hundreds Storm Osun INEC Office In Serious Protest Against Rerun
- Pretty Lady Celebrates Grandmother’s 95th Birthday With A Fun-themed Photoshoot
- Drake Writes To Fans After Collapsing On Stage
- Buhari Approves N42.68 Billion For ASUU & Former Workers Of Defunct Nigeria Airways
- South-east Governors Asked Muhammadu Buhari To Proscribe IPOB – Group
- I Used To Be Reckless With Women – Teddy-A Speaks On Bambam, Fame, Movies & Controversies
- Football Star, Sheyi Ojo Ready To Ditch England For Nigeria
- ????Popular Philanthropist, Kokun Reveals He Is Very Depressed And Is Thinking Of Suicide
- APC Primary: Lagos Assembly Speaker Begs Lagosians To Pray For Governor Ambode
- Why Chelsea Drew Against West Ham – David Luiz Speaks On Ending Perfect Start
- Tiwa Savage Kneels Down To Greet Sir Shina Peters (Photos)
- Osun Re-run: What PDP Should Do – Lawyer
- BREAKING: Italy Govt. Adopts New Anti-migrant Decree