Enugu State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Fintan Ekochin, has dismissed rumour making the rounds that there was a reported case of monkey pox in the state.
The commissioner said Enugu State has surveillance team, a set of officers distributed across the 17 local government areas of the state, whose job is to look out for diseases that we overlook.
“They are on duty everyday, since last year, since Ebola, they are on duty.
“They look out for yellow fever, lasava fever, Ebola, every kind of disease, including cholera, and they make report available immediately. So we have no reported outbreak of monkey pox in Enugu.”
Ekochin stated that the defence mechanism in the state is surveillance, which he said is continuous through disease notification officers at the local government areas.
“Again, we have the state epidemiologist who is a medical doctor in the Ministry of Health that coordinates all these people. So surveillance is steadily on which we do by ourselves or support from partners for advocacy whenever necessary,” said Ekochin
He noted that there has been only one established and confirmed case of monkey-pox in Nigeria in Bayelsa State, saying: “All these other ones you are hearing about are suspected cases. There is only one confirmed case of monkey pox in Nigeria and surveillance is going but we have no confirmed case of monkey pox in Enugu State.”
On the precautions against the disease, Ekochin advised people to maintain basic hygiene everywhere, at homes, offices and in handling animals as pets.
He said: “Let me tell you, the so called monkey-pox is caused by a virus similar to chicken-pox. Who is afraid of chicken pox? It’s there, it comes in seasons, depending on whether and temperature, it affects the children.
“So chicken-pox is a bigger thing to worry than monkey-pox. The virus that causes monkey-pox is very old. It’s an old disease, the last reported case was in the 70s. So it’s not a new disease that has made medical practitioners confused, no!
“There is no vaccine for monkey-pox and there is no specific drug treatment. However, it runs a natural cause that in most cases is not fatal. There is nothing to fear about money-pox.”
Latest Nigeria News
- This Adorable Photos Of Handsome Triplets Who Posed With Beautiful Twins Has Gone Viral
- Chairmanship: If We Make Mistake, We Are Finished, Goodluck Jonathan Warns PDP
- Produce Nnamdi Kanu or “there will be inevitable confrontation… the human mind cannot imagine” – IPOB to FG
- Video: Watch What Davido Did After He Was Released From Police Custody
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nicki Minaj featured on The New York Times Style Magazine’s “The Greats” Issue 2017
- 2 Kidnappers Who Lure Kids With N50 Then Sell Them For N10k Arrested In Lagos
- Viral video of a fearless 6-year-old boy playing with 20-foot-long python in floodwaters in Vietnam
- Leicester City Sack Manager Craig Shakespeare After Poor Run Of Form
- Liverpool And Arsenal Among Several Premier League Clubs Interested In Signing Sheffield United Midfielder David Brooks
- I Have No Interest In Becoming Next Osun Governor – Davido’s Father
- Bobrisky mocks Linda Ikeji’s younger brother for ‘begging for followers’ in return for iPhones
- UNILORIN best graduating student dies 5 days to her convocation
- 17 year-old girl auctions her virginity for iPhone 8; See what happened (photos)
- Arsenal Manager, Arsene Wenger escapes FA charge for confronting Referee
- Tom Cleverley brags, ‘We can beat Chelsea’, just after beating Arsenal
- Ebonyi Catholic priest escapes after kidnappers drank his holy wine & slept off
- Heartbroken man shares photo kissing his dead girlfriend
- Kenyan socialite, Vera Sidika and Diamond Platunmz’s babymama Hamisa Mobetto gets into a dirty fight, expose each other secrets and sponsor
- OMG! 17 Year Old Girl Stabs Her Boyfriend To Death In Lagos Just 2 Days After Her Birthday
- Naira Down To 360.75/$ At NAFEX
- Labour Rejects Zuma’s Statue In Owerri, Demands Its Pull Down
- I Want To Face Super Eagles At World Cup – Messi
- Nigerian Man Visits School To Give Free Food To All The Kids To Celebrate World Food Day (Photos)
- “I Won’t Be Kissing in Movies Again” – Born Again Majid Michel
- Boko Haram Raids Military Base In Nigeria’s Northeast, Seizes Weapons, Ammunition
- Newcastle Owner, Mike Ashley Puts Club Up For Sale
- BREAKING NEWS: PDP Splits In Anambra, Faction Rejects Obaze, Threatens To Join Another Party
- Kanu Nwankwo Launches N1b Lotto
- Dreams Come True: President Buhari Meets His Die-hard Young Supporters In Aso Rock (Pics/Video)
- Banky W says ‘Kiss Daniel is one of his Favorite Artists of all time’
- Scandalous rumours are trailing popular video vixen Bernice Burgos as she spends time in Nigeria
- ‘What is the idea of giving children difficult assignments that require the help of parents?’ – Frank Edoho’s wife writes a letter to her son’s school
- Shocking video of black students at a wealthy children boarding school in Zambia brutally assaulting a hostel mate over girl
- Kiss Daniel Needs To Leave His Record Label, They Are Dulling Him Says Fans
- Charly boy’s daughter Dewy Oputa comes out as lesbian? (Photos/Video)
- Shakhtar Donestk Manager Paulo Fonseca Wants To Manage In The Premier League
- Barcelona Scouting Three Bayer Leverkusen Players