Nigerian Army to kick off operation ‘Crocodile Smile II’ this Friday to complement Operation python dance
The Nigerian Army Tuesday said its planned launch of Operation Crocodile Smile II is aimed at confronting militancy, kidnapping and oil bunkering in the Niger Delta and parts of the South-west region.
The commencement of the operation slated for Friday is coming amid criticisms from Niger Delta youths along other groups in the oil rich region.
The army also stressed that the operation would go a long way to complement Operation Python Dance also known as Operation Egwu Eke II in the South-east, ThisDay reports.
According to the Director of Army Public Relations, Brig. Gen. Sani Usman, “the Nigerian Army is set to flag off Exercise Crocodile Smile II on Friday, October, 13, 2017.
The exercise, set to span across 3 Divisions of the Nigerian Army (2, 6 and 81 Divisions), is in line with the 2017 Training Directives which aims at training troops in the conduct of internal security operations in aid of civil authorities across the various formations’ areas of responsibilities, based on constitutional provisions.
“It will be recalled that last year, between November and December 2016, Exercise Crocodile smile I was conducted within the Niger Delta states to curtail prevailing security challenges then.
These challenges include illegal oil bunkering, pipeline vandalism, kidnapping and militancy amongst others. Exercise Crocodile Smile II is specifically designed to further the gains and consolidate on the successes of Exercise Crocodile Smile I.”
He added that “with the operationalisation of 6 Division Nigerian Army, earlier in the year, the need to exercise troops in an amphibious environment makes it expedient to hold Exercise Crocodile smile II.
Moreover, this exercise will complement the on-going Exercise Egwu Eke II in the South-Eastern part of the country.
“Let us not be quick to forget the scenario in which these exercises are carried out. Egwu Eke II became expedient due to the mindless assassinations (even in religious places), attack on security personnel, theft of weapons, armed banditry, kidnapping and cultism, among other security challenges.
“In a similar vein, security challenges in the South-eest and Niger Delta geo-political regions such as illegal oil bunkering, pipeline vandalism, cultism, kidnapping, militancy and other challenges are becoming rampant.”
Usman said: “The need for troops to sharpen their skills to cope with these security challenges within the 2, 6 and 81 Divisions’ Area of Responsibilities calls for the conduct of Exercise Crocodile Smile II.
“Also, in actualising the Chief of Army Staff’s vision, which is to ‘To have a Professionally Responsive Nigerian Army in the Discharge of its Constitutional Roles’, accentuates the call for the conduct of this exercise in conjunction with sister services and other security agencies.
“This exercise will therefore be conducted with the involvement of other security agencies such as the Nigerian Police and Nigeria Security, Department of State Services, Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, Nigeria Customs Service and National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, just to mention a few.”
The director maintained thay “Exercise Crocodile Smile II is also conceptualized to leverage on real time intelligence to curtail insecurity, thereby fulfilling both training and operational objectives.
“Accordingly, Exercise Headquarters would be established in the field to facilitate open communication between members of the public and exercising troops.
“Emphasis will be placed on raids, cordon and search operations, anti-kidnapping drills, road blocks, check points and other amphibious operations. Community support activities such as medical outreaches will also feature prominently during the exercise.
“In this regard, members of the public are enjoined not to panic on seeing the movement of military equipment and troops to staging areas as their safety and well-being is guaranteed at all times.
“The public is also requested to remain vigilant, security conscious and report suspected criminals who will likely flee the military exercise areas to find safe haven among communities,” Usman stressed.
Latest Nigeria News
- This Adorable Photos Of Handsome Triplets Who Posed With Beautiful Twins Has Gone Viral
- Chairmanship: If We Make Mistake, We Are Finished, Goodluck Jonathan Warns PDP
- Produce Nnamdi Kanu or “there will be inevitable confrontation… the human mind cannot imagine” – IPOB to FG
- Video: Watch What Davido Did After He Was Released From Police Custody
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nicki Minaj featured on The New York Times Style Magazine’s “The Greats” Issue 2017
- 2 Kidnappers Who Lure Kids With N50 Then Sell Them For N10k Arrested In Lagos
- Viral video of a fearless 6-year-old boy playing with 20-foot-long python in floodwaters in Vietnam
- Leicester City Sack Manager Craig Shakespeare After Poor Run Of Form
- Liverpool And Arsenal Among Several Premier League Clubs Interested In Signing Sheffield United Midfielder David Brooks
- I Have No Interest In Becoming Next Osun Governor – Davido’s Father
- Bobrisky mocks Linda Ikeji’s younger brother for ‘begging for followers’ in return for iPhones
- UNILORIN best graduating student dies 5 days to her convocation
- 17 year-old girl auctions her virginity for iPhone 8; See what happened (photos)
- Arsenal Manager, Arsene Wenger escapes FA charge for confronting Referee
- Tom Cleverley brags, ‘We can beat Chelsea’, just after beating Arsenal
- Ebonyi Catholic priest escapes after kidnappers drank his holy wine & slept off
- Heartbroken man shares photo kissing his dead girlfriend
- Kenyan socialite, Vera Sidika and Diamond Platunmz’s babymama Hamisa Mobetto gets into a dirty fight, expose each other secrets and sponsor
- OMG! 17 Year Old Girl Stabs Her Boyfriend To Death In Lagos Just 2 Days After Her Birthday
- Naira Down To 360.75/$ At NAFEX
- Labour Rejects Zuma’s Statue In Owerri, Demands Its Pull Down
- I Want To Face Super Eagles At World Cup – Messi
- Nigerian Man Visits School To Give Free Food To All The Kids To Celebrate World Food Day (Photos)
- “I Won’t Be Kissing in Movies Again” – Born Again Majid Michel
- Boko Haram Raids Military Base In Nigeria’s Northeast, Seizes Weapons, Ammunition
- Newcastle Owner, Mike Ashley Puts Club Up For Sale
- BREAKING NEWS: PDP Splits In Anambra, Faction Rejects Obaze, Threatens To Join Another Party
- Kanu Nwankwo Launches N1b Lotto
- Dreams Come True: President Buhari Meets His Die-hard Young Supporters In Aso Rock (Pics/Video)
- Banky W says ‘Kiss Daniel is one of his Favorite Artists of all time’
- Scandalous rumours are trailing popular video vixen Bernice Burgos as she spends time in Nigeria
- ‘What is the idea of giving children difficult assignments that require the help of parents?’ – Frank Edoho’s wife writes a letter to her son’s school
- Shocking video of black students at a wealthy children boarding school in Zambia brutally assaulting a hostel mate over girl
- Kiss Daniel Needs To Leave His Record Label, They Are Dulling Him Says Fans
- Charly boy’s daughter Dewy Oputa comes out as lesbian? (Photos/Video)
- Shakhtar Donestk Manager Paulo Fonseca Wants To Manage In The Premier League
- Barcelona Scouting Three Bayer Leverkusen Players