A ‘wonder bank’ operator identified as Ngozi Adline, who hails from Imo State had allegedly swindled traders at Warewa community of over N2million, in the Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State.
According to a report by PUNCH, the woman operated under the name, Link M Investment Limited, while two workers, Oluwatoyin Adebayo and Esther Adelanwa, were used to collect money from customers.
It was gathered that her whereabouts had been shrouded in mystery since August 2016 when she fled the neighbourhood with the N2m collected from some residents of the area.
The middle-aged woman had also relocated from her residence in Ibafo, a neighbouring community, while her children were said to be living with her brother in Abuja.
One of the workers, Adebayo, said the fraud was reported at the Warewa Police Station, adding that she and her colleague were under pressure from the angry customers to refund their money.
She said, “We collected money for her (Adline) daily and weekly from customers. She promised to give those that wanted to save for three months five to 10 per cent interest. We started in April and everything went well, while our customers were satisfied.
“However, after about four months, we started having problems with the customers. The issue was that at the end of that month, she refused to bring money for disbursement to customers that needed loans and wanted to collect their savings with interest.
“Sometime in August 2016, she absconded with over N2m. We are the ones that the customers know; they don’t really know her. So, we have been struggling to refund them. She has put us in trouble. She is from Imo State. Policemen followed us to her residence in Ibafo, where we were told that she had relocated.
“We learnt that she had earlier had problem over money with some residents and was arrested by policemen from the Ibafo Police Station. But she was later released. We spoke with her on the telephone until December 2016. Suddenly, we can no longer reach her on the line. We even pleaded with her to refund the money piecemeal, she refused. Some customers who saved N1,000 on a daily basis have not been refunded at all.”
Adebayo explained that she had contacted Adline’s brother, who lives in Abuja, on the telephone, but he said he did not know her whereabouts.
The other worker, Adelanwa, lamented that the police had not shown much commitment to tracking down the woman, saying about 60 customers were being owed.
“The woman ran away with more than N2m. Adline’s phone number has not been going through. Customers are embarrassing us. We owe about 60 people. They have locked up the office,” she said.
One of the creditors, Mrs. Amirat Salaudeen, who is into laundry services, stated that she saved between N1,000 and N2,000 at the firm on a daily basis.
“I started contributing sometime in April 2016. I paid between N1,000 and N2,000 every day, depending on the sales I made. I paid in for eight months. I have got only N50,000 out of my saving. I planned to use my saving to boost my business. It is painful and I am very disappointed,” she added.
A pepper seller, Jubril Awalu, said he saved about N50,000 at the firm, noting that he also needed the money to boost his trade.
The Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Abimbola Oyeyemi, said it was difficult for the police to track down the woman as her operation was not formal.
He said, “They should do private investigation on their own and find out where the woman is. Then, they can inform the police and she will be arrested.
“If the victims had paid her through a bank, we would track her through her account. The police have done the right thing by going to her house. We are not to blame and cannot perform magic to find the woman.”
Latest Nigeria News
- This Adorable Photos Of Handsome Triplets Who Posed With Beautiful Twins Has Gone Viral
- Chairmanship: If We Make Mistake, We Are Finished, Goodluck Jonathan Warns PDP
- Produce Nnamdi Kanu or “there will be inevitable confrontation… the human mind cannot imagine” – IPOB to FG
- Video: Watch What Davido Did After He Was Released From Police Custody
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nicki Minaj featured on The New York Times Style Magazine’s “The Greats” Issue 2017
- 2 Kidnappers Who Lure Kids With N50 Then Sell Them For N10k Arrested In Lagos
- Viral video of a fearless 6-year-old boy playing with 20-foot-long python in floodwaters in Vietnam
- Leicester City Sack Manager Craig Shakespeare After Poor Run Of Form
- Liverpool And Arsenal Among Several Premier League Clubs Interested In Signing Sheffield United Midfielder David Brooks
- I Have No Interest In Becoming Next Osun Governor – Davido’s Father
- Bobrisky mocks Linda Ikeji’s younger brother for ‘begging for followers’ in return for iPhones
- UNILORIN best graduating student dies 5 days to her convocation
- 17 year-old girl auctions her virginity for iPhone 8; See what happened (photos)
- Arsenal Manager, Arsene Wenger escapes FA charge for confronting Referee
- Tom Cleverley brags, ‘We can beat Chelsea’, just after beating Arsenal
- Ebonyi Catholic priest escapes after kidnappers drank his holy wine & slept off
- Heartbroken man shares photo kissing his dead girlfriend
- Kenyan socialite, Vera Sidika and Diamond Platunmz’s babymama Hamisa Mobetto gets into a dirty fight, expose each other secrets and sponsor
- OMG! 17 Year Old Girl Stabs Her Boyfriend To Death In Lagos Just 2 Days After Her Birthday
- Naira Down To 360.75/$ At NAFEX
- Labour Rejects Zuma’s Statue In Owerri, Demands Its Pull Down
- I Want To Face Super Eagles At World Cup – Messi
- Nigerian Man Visits School To Give Free Food To All The Kids To Celebrate World Food Day (Photos)
- “I Won’t Be Kissing in Movies Again” – Born Again Majid Michel
- Boko Haram Raids Military Base In Nigeria’s Northeast, Seizes Weapons, Ammunition
- Newcastle Owner, Mike Ashley Puts Club Up For Sale
- BREAKING NEWS: PDP Splits In Anambra, Faction Rejects Obaze, Threatens To Join Another Party
- Kanu Nwankwo Launches N1b Lotto
- Dreams Come True: President Buhari Meets His Die-hard Young Supporters In Aso Rock (Pics/Video)
- Banky W says ‘Kiss Daniel is one of his Favorite Artists of all time’
- Scandalous rumours are trailing popular video vixen Bernice Burgos as she spends time in Nigeria
- ‘What is the idea of giving children difficult assignments that require the help of parents?’ – Frank Edoho’s wife writes a letter to her son’s school
- Shocking video of black students at a wealthy children boarding school in Zambia brutally assaulting a hostel mate over girl
- Kiss Daniel Needs To Leave His Record Label, They Are Dulling Him Says Fans
- Charly boy’s daughter Dewy Oputa comes out as lesbian? (Photos/Video)
- Shakhtar Donestk Manager Paulo Fonseca Wants To Manage In The Premier League
- Barcelona Scouting Three Bayer Leverkusen Players