A ‘wonder bank’ operator identified as Ngozi Adline, who hails from Imo State had allegedly swindled traders at Warewa community of over N2million, in the Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State.
According to a report by PUNCH, the woman operated under the name, Link M Investment Limited, while two workers, Oluwatoyin Adebayo and Esther Adelanwa, were used to collect money from customers.
It was gathered that her whereabouts had been shrouded in mystery since August 2016 when she fled the neighbourhood with the N2m collected from some residents of the area.
The middle-aged woman had also relocated from her residence in Ibafo, a neighbouring community, while her children were said to be living with her brother in Abuja.
One of the workers, Adebayo, said the fraud was reported at the Warewa Police Station, adding that she and her colleague were under pressure from the angry customers to refund their money.
She said, “We collected money for her (Adline) daily and weekly from customers. She promised to give those that wanted to save for three months five to 10 per cent interest. We started in April and everything went well, while our customers were satisfied.
“However, after about four months, we started having problems with the customers. The issue was that at the end of that month, she refused to bring money for disbursement to customers that needed loans and wanted to collect their savings with interest.
“Sometime in August 2016, she absconded with over N2m. We are the ones that the customers know; they don’t really know her. So, we have been struggling to refund them. She has put us in trouble. She is from Imo State. Policemen followed us to her residence in Ibafo, where we were told that she had relocated.
“We learnt that she had earlier had problem over money with some residents and was arrested by policemen from the Ibafo Police Station. But she was later released. We spoke with her on the telephone until December 2016. Suddenly, we can no longer reach her on the line. We even pleaded with her to refund the money piecemeal, she refused. Some customers who saved N1,000 on a daily basis have not been refunded at all.”
Adebayo explained that she had contacted Adline’s brother, who lives in Abuja, on the telephone, but he said he did not know her whereabouts.
The other worker, Adelanwa, lamented that the police had not shown much commitment to tracking down the woman, saying about 60 customers were being owed.
“The woman ran away with more than N2m. Adline’s phone number has not been going through. Customers are embarrassing us. We owe about 60 people. They have locked up the office,” she said.
One of the creditors, Mrs. Amirat Salaudeen, who is into laundry services, stated that she saved between N1,000 and N2,000 at the firm on a daily basis.
“I started contributing sometime in April 2016. I paid between N1,000 and N2,000 every day, depending on the sales I made. I paid in for eight months. I have got only N50,000 out of my saving. I planned to use my saving to boost my business. It is painful and I am very disappointed,” she added.
A pepper seller, Jubril Awalu, said he saved about N50,000 at the firm, noting that he also needed the money to boost his trade.
The Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Abimbola Oyeyemi, said it was difficult for the police to track down the woman as her operation was not formal.
He said, “They should do private investigation on their own and find out where the woman is. Then, they can inform the police and she will be arrested.
“If the victims had paid her through a bank, we would track her through her account. The police have done the right thing by going to her house. We are not to blame and cannot perform magic to find the woman.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Fulani herdsmen carry AK 47 for self defence,its the same as carrying sticks-Umar
- Driver Loses Control And Dies After Policeman Shot Him For Refusing To Pay Bribe
- FIFA Sanctions Nigeria For Use of Ineligible Player, Award Match To Algeria
- BREAKING News: Petrol Tanker Falls on FESTAC Bridge, Destroy Cars as Fire Spreads (Photos)
- EXPOSED! 32 SARS Operatives Arrested For Robbery & Extortion In Abuja (Photo)
- Annie & 2Face Idibia’s First Daughter, Isabella Is Now A Big Girl As They Share Lovely Photos Of Her
- Fuji Icon, King Wasiu Ayinde Marshal (KWAM1) Loses 34yrs Old Daughter To Death In Canada
- “My Dear Friends If I Die, Pls Look For Me At Ajiwe Police Station”- Actress, April Joju Muse
- “Beware of Fake Past JAMB Question Papers” – JAMB Warns Candidates
- Neymar To Miss PSG Cup Tie After Returning To Brazil
- Nigeria’s Gold Medalist Sprinter, Chioma Ajunwa Becomes Asst. Commissioner Of Police (Photos)
- Russia Begins Its Partial Withdrawal From Syria
- Israel Intercepts Rocket Launched From Gaza, Responds With Tanks
- Abuja tailor sends 13-year-old son packing, because he thinks the boy has grown to take care of himself
- New Girlfriend alert? Davido and ‘girlfriend’ caught up in Gucci romance
- Bobrisky slams MC Galaxy for refusing to honor their meeting with the Police
- ‘My life changed the day I met you’ – Pregnant’ Khloe Kardashian plants a kiss on beau Tristan Thompson
- Lady reportedly stabs step-sister for refusing to dropout of school in Delta State (Graphic Photos)
- Man sells daughter and neighbour’s child to raise funds for father in law’s burial
- ‘We should also leave #EndSARS and slavery for God’ -Daddy Freeze replies Obiwon
- Herdsmen attack women who refused to be raped in Lagos
- Between Dolaponi Oni and follower who says she should take her husband to the gym
- Exclusive Proof Of Bobrisky Being Thrown Over The Gate During His Arrest Like A Criminal (Photos)
- Imo House Of Assembly Crisis Deepens
- “How APC Promised and Failed” – Atiku Delivers Powerful Address at PDP National Convention (Full Speech)
- Buhari’s Ministers Are Unhappy – Kukah
- President Buhari Arrives France (Photos)
- “I Started My Ministry With A Cloth” – Stylish COZA Pastor, Biodun Fatoyinbo Shares His Story
- “I Cannot Date You, If You Don’t Drive A Ferrari” — Nigerian Lady Reveals
- After 5 Abortions, Masturbation, Born Again Ex-prostitute Marks 3 Months Of No Sex (Photos)
- ‘I Would Go Naked For N45Million’- Big Brother Naija 2018 Prospective Housemate Says; Charass, Dennis Okike Auditions
- Buhari has finished Nigeria,he should stop blaming Jonathan-Saraki
- Mc Galaxy gives Bobrisky’s former gate-man N400k for his father’s medical bill
- Actress Nkechi Emmanuel ‘Nurse Titi’ of Clinic Matters weds fiance
- Pastor butchered by unknown assassins last night in Abeokuta (Graphic photos)
- Girl wraps herself in Christmas lights, almost gets electrocuted
- Timaya bags Grammy nomination
- After partying with him, Drake shares photo of Tekno in his studio!
- ‘She’s brought us closer’ – Cristiano Ronaldo’s girlfriend, Georgina introduces their daughter
- Flavour parties with his daughters at the US Consular General’s House (Photos)